Going to be a bad year for tourism

kingstonkid

If you look at the calendar this is going to be a tough year for tourism.

No celebration for New Years and possibly no Songkran celebration will definitely keep people away.

Just wondering what others think.  

I am starting to think it might be an idea to visit somewhere else for one of these times.

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

No celebration for New Years and possibly no Songkran celebration

I seriously doubt this. The sense of loss is pervasive now but, with all due respect, life goes on. People have to make a living. Businesses have to open. And the authorities understand this.

I would be surprised if things aren't pretty much back to normal by the end of the month.

I firmly belive that tourism will be up in the next year. The Way thailand and it's people have been reported on international news have been a credit to them and I belive holiday makers will see this and want to come to sample the atmosphere for themselfs. 

Edited by Deepinthailand

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I firmly belive that tourism will be up in the next year. The Way thailand and it's people have been reported on international news have been a credit to them and I belive holiday makers will see this and want to come to sample the atmosphere for themselfs. 

Thais have been treated like a hive mind by the International media and every article is a reprint of the next. Not a single reporter has attempted to get into the story, but have just cited lese majeste laws as an excuse not to.  The only foreigners who "come and sample the atmosphere for themselves" are the ones who see through the bullshit and want to form their own opinions. 

But why bother? Thailand is not that important on the world stage. It's famous for beaches and nightlife and with the former spoiled long ago and the latter suppressed by totalitarianism why would anyone come? To wear black and pray? 

4 hours ago, BudRight said:

Thais have been treated like a hive mind by the International media and every article is a reprint of the next. Not a single reporter has attempted to get into the story, but have just cited lese majeste laws as an excuse not to.  The only foreigners who "come and sample the atmosphere for themselves" are the ones who see through the bullshit and want to form their own opinions. 

But why bother? Thailand is not that important on the world stage. It's famous for beaches and nightlife and with the former spoiled long ago and the latter suppressed by totalitarianism why would anyone come? To wear black and pray? 

I would place that in the past tense.

Anywhere north of Bangkok best to forget about the nightlife, Thailand has become expensive as a tourist destination, too many scams to mention. I really don`t see what Thailand has anymore for the attraction of tourists.

It will impact neighboring countries as well. Imagine you booked 6 months ago for a hotel on the river in CM to view Loi Kratong. That $300 river view suite just lost value. 

Imagine you didn''t know anything about Thailand and happened to be here the past week with the uncertainty. 

Imagine you can't get any news going on under these circumstances. This will certainly damage tourism. If you are on a booking site now it is very easy for your mouse to hover to another country or region right now. 

You booked Lebua for new years? It goes on and on and on.

Edited by anotheruser

4 hours ago, BudRight said:

and  forcing respect is never  good

6 hours ago, BudRight said:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion.

I live just North of Pattaya.  With the closing of most bars and the subsequent absence of drunk Farangs.  Pattaya has become a more peaceful and quiet place.  Tragic circumstances aside, to bad it couldn't stay that way.  If I never see another beer swilling "smokestack" stumbling down the street again, "it would be too soon."

8 hours ago, BudRight said:

The W-European newspapers gave a lot of insight information and even posted some illegal video's. Also the traveladvice for Thailand is changed.

We'll see what happens next year, for now we will be mourning for some months. I hope for a cool summer since black shirts/long sleeves are far too warm to wear.

48 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I live just North of Pattaya.  With the closing of most bars and the subsequent absence of drunk Farangs.  Pattaya has become a more peaceful and quiet place.  Tragic circumstances aside, to bad it couldn't stay that way.  If I never see another beer swilling "smokestack" stumbling down the street again, "it would be too soon."

If i never seen the smokestacks of Chonburi or the guy who breaths the fumes I wouldn't be as dismissive. Must be nice up there.

1 minute ago, i claudius said:

In a week ,tourists who read about the death of the king will have forgoten all about it , to be blunt it means very little to them and they will still come ,it will make not a jot of difference .

That's true until the new year party or loy kratong is cancelled. They will feel cheated.

7 hours ago, anotheruser said:

It will impact neighboring countries as well. Imagine you booked 6 months ago for a hotel on the river in CM to view Loi Kratong. That $300 river view suite just lost value. 

Imagine you didn''t know anything about Thailand and happened to be here the past week with the uncertainty. 

Imagine you can't get any news going on under these circumstances. This will certainly damage tourism. If you are on a booking site now it is very easy for your mouse to hover to another country or region right now. 

You booked Lebua for new years? It goes on and on and on.

trying,

but really cannot imagine paying $300/nite.

30 years and hundreds "bad tourist year" threads, coups, civil riots, bombs.. And still the tourist numbers increase. Was actually nice walking around Chang Mai last night, lots of tourists at the night markets and the usuall places but no noise.. I like it

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk