Open, yes, but tone it down or else, say Pattaya police

webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/18/2016 at 10:32 PM, Anthony5 said:

I see every day Thais sitting in restaurants without a shirt, riding motorbike without shirt, or go shopping without shirt.

May be you, and a few others in this thread, are Thaier than Thais?

Yes, I seen a Thai guy supping sidewalk noodles shirtless, then he jumps on his bike, zips up the street before popping into a mom and pop store for a packet of smokes.

I do not see shirtless Thai guys in Royal Garden, biking around 'bright side' Pattaya all day or going into the 7-eleven.

It's bugger all to do with anyone's perception of the so-called 'Thainess' of someone else.

It has a lot do with not making things up.

Edited by NanLaew

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, I seen a Thai guy supping sidewalk noodles shirtless, then he jumps on his bike, zips up the street before popping into a mom and pop store for a packet of smokes.

I do not see shirtless Thai guys in Royal Garden, biking around 'bright side' Pattaya all day or going into the 7-eleven.

It's bugger all to do with anyone's perception of the so-called 'Thainess' of someone else.

It has a lot do with not making things up.

We're gonna be selective now?

So it is fine to eat, ride bike and go shopping shirtless in Thailand as long as there are no foreigners around.Or does it depend on what you eat or what you buy at the shop, since you clearly pointed out what those guys you see shirtless consume.

That makes it indeed obvious that it has nothing to do with Thainess, it is about foreignness in Thailand, or in other words foreigners making up what is and what isn't acceptable in Thailand.

3 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

We're gonna be selective now?

So it is fine to eat, ride bike and go shopping shirtless in Thailand as long as there are no foreigners around.Or does it depend on what you eat or what you buy at the shop, since you clearly pointed out what those guys you see shirtless consume.

That makes it indeed obvious that it has nothing to do with Thainess, it is about foreignness in Thailand, or in other words foreigners making up what is and what isn't acceptable in Thailand.

Selective? I was pointing out one of the very few situations where I have seen a shirtless Thai eating, driving and shopping. This was to counter your rather dodgy assertion that you see shirtless 'Thais' (note YOUR use of the plural) eating, driving and shopping 'every day.' 

Tony,... it is Tony isn't it? I am glad you agree to disregard whatever 'Thainess' is but I think you have been here long enough to appreciate that in reality, it is the Thai people making allowances for their foreign visitors strange manners and cultural ignorance and turning a blind eye to our otherwise unacceptable behaviour.

Put it like this Tony; for every single Thai male that you have seen eating, driving and shopping while shirtless, how many foreigners have you seen doing the same? As already mentioned, 'beach wear' is appropriate on the beach, for casual, al fresco dining and shopping beach-side. I don't think it's a very good idea to leave the hotel room/condo/flop around noon clad only in shorts, flip flops and sunglasses and stay out for the rest of the day like legions of Eurotrash have been doing for quite a few years now. The Thais regardless of their education or social circumstances just do NOT do that.

I would never ever dream of walking into a bar or restaurant without a shirt on, firstly because I am not particularly proud of my physique,  but I also have standards and my standards dictate that if I am out in public I will appear properly attired. I appreciate that if you live up North or in the Central plains you may see the locals going into shops and mom & pop shops etc shirtless, but they probably don't have the luxury of a wardrobe stuffed with smart shirts, so gent's do us all a favour and cover up when out and about. Thank you.  

Some off topic grammar police posts have been removed, also off topic posts about wearing shirts and cutting rice.

Topic is about:

Open, yes, but tone it down or else, say Pattaya police