How Do I Share My True Adsl Connection?

Ian_B

I've had my True ADSL connection for about 2 weeks now. I have the Zxyel USB modem and windows XP.

Can anybody please tell me what I need in order to share my ADSL with both desktop & laptop PCs

Do I have to bin the USB modem I have and buy something else - I was at fortune yesterday and saw some routers there but didn't know if they would work or not

Cheers

Ian

Yep you have to replace the USB modem with a DSL router. The package should say DSL router (or DSL modem) on the box. Either get one that has Built in network ports or you can buy a seperate (cheap) hub to attach to it for sharing.

/SM

you need to be able to network the computers that you wish to share the internet connection with, either by ethernet( cable, hub/switch ) or wireless(wifi - 802.11b .. note if more than one other comp you will need an access point ).

once you have the computers networked, run a proxy server on the comp that has the internet connection and configure the clients ( browser, irc , instant messaging , mail ) to access the proxy.

:o

you don't neceserally need a router/adsl modem, you only need one when you want to share the internet connection without having to turn the PC connected to the USB modem on...

If that pc is on most of the time, the easy way would be to pop in a network card (high possibility you have one already on board), connect it to a small hub for a wired network, or a wireless Access point for a wireless network...

Prices came down a lot lately....

Network card (called a NIC): start at 270 Baht (compex)

Network hub (8 port ): 990 Baht (compex)

Wireless Accesspoint (d-link DWL 900+): 2990Baht

Wireless NIC for laptop start @ 1600 Baht

Wireless NIC for desktop start @ 2000 Baht

Wireless USB NIC (works on anything with USB port) start at 1300 Baht (surecom)

Just enable internet sharing in any windows from Win98SE onwards

If that pc is not on most of the time the only way is dumping your USB modem, and getting yourself an ADSL router (e.g Lynksys BEFSR41 @ 4000 Baht) as Lordfoul advises. This gives you a 4 port hub built in so you can hook up 4 PC's (wired). If you want to go wireless there are wireless adsl routers on the market as well but don't know the prices. (Or you hook up a Wireless accespoint to the router mentioned above for a mixed wired/wireless network)

Thanks for the advice.

I'll probably get the linksys 4 port router as both PCs have network sockets.

So if I buy the router do I need to install drivers for the router in a similar way to the Zyxel USB modem? I'm asking because I tried to install newer divers from the Zyxel website but could not connect afterward and had to re-install the ones with the True-boxed modem.

Again thanks for all the advice... the wife is addicted to that Pristontale game!

Just a word of caution...

Most routers only have ethernet WAN ports. If you have a USB modem, you may have a problem depending opn how you want to configure.

I know there are many ways to set this up but IMHO, an ethernet (RJ45) modem is preferable, since it plugs directly into the HUB/Switch/Router and increases your sharing flexibility.

You should also have a hardware FIREWALL, which could be built into the modem or router depending on your selected equipment.

The features you should look for are :

1. adsl modem (preferably RJ45)

2. firewal

3. router

4. 10/100(/1000) switch or hub

5. access point if you want to do wireless

FWIW the modem and router could have variious built in features so you need to match the compnents. An overlap matters less than not having a particular feature.

My personal approach is not to have too many "all-in-one" stuff as this affects upgrading flexibility later on, so give the some thought to the future.

Stumonster,

Indeed the windows internet sharing is not safe for use with wireless networks!

I use a proxy myself (Wingate) wich allows extensive user configurations.

What you can do with most access points is allow access only to your own PC's by way of a MAC filter. This needs a dedicated hack effort to get through! Of course this is not of much use if a lot of different strange PC's need the occasional access...

For a wired network there is not much security risk, however a proxy might be usefull to restrict the childrens internet access to reasonable levels (or the wife :o )

thx monty,

modifying your hosts file you could also send the wife to sites you want her to see...

anyone on this forum who is setting up a personal wifi network should also read a few article about securing their network. eg.

http://www.securesphere.net/download/paper...lan_attacks.htm

http://www.governmentsecurity.org/articles...essSecurity.php

please be aware that just because you enable WEP ( wireless encryption protocol ) it does not mean that your network is secure.

:o

Thx for the links Stu,

Certainly is a help if one knows what the hackers use!

I do think in this stage the risk in Thailand is not that high... I've been wardriving in Pattaya a little with a high gain omni antenna and picked up absolutely zilch :o

The only official active hotspot is at Royal Cliff, and not to many private people have set up wireless networks it seems...

There is a bonus to be had from using a router rather than a hub with the adsl modem. The hub is not switched, while the router will be. Switching limits your bandwidth for each port in use, but it prevents your download of Deep Throat from using all the bandwidth and annoying your wife as she tries to surf to her Bible Study and comes to you complaining that ithe Internet isn't working. Her packets won't get through, or only a few at a time, until your download ends, without a switched router. "Fred, the Internet isn't working!" "Yes, it is, Mary. I'm using it now." "Let me see, I don't believe it's work ing for you and not me!" 'nuf said?