Honda CB300 - safe to buy now?

bek

I notice BMW have a monkey bike out now, looked ridiculous designed for a 10 year old, or maybe someone got hold of a badge and stuck it on Mickey Mouse's bike.

If it is real......well... oh how the mighty fall.

I will give it 5 years and the Chinese will be building the best bikes........ 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2016 at 9:20 PM, Rhys said:

I like my CBR 300R but ready for the CB 500X, but the wife has my huevos.. sorry can't man up here.. 5555 PT good.

Can I  ask for what do you like cbr300? For price? All another it's lost.. is it?psx much better for sity or click. For another have many normal motorcycle. Not only look like motorcycle.

From what I have read this 300 engine is a lemon by design, so if you want this bike, wait for a new engine, hopefully without inherent weaknesses.

That said, it is a Honda so least you can get it fixed, buy the Beama and you will need very deep pockets when it goes titzup..oh and lots of patients waiting for parts. I have watched a lot of long distance BMW trips on Youtube and lots of things go wrong when they get off the autobahns.

Remember too that this is a "cheapo" BMW and that means accountants involvement....aaaagh.... Remember the demise of that Merc reliability when the bean-counters stuck their noses in.

So this comparison between these two suspect bikes is a good one IMO, both nice bikes to park on the driveway. 

On 02/01/2017 at 0:56 PM, AllanB said:

From what I have read this 300 engine is a lemon by design, so if you want this bike, wait for a new engine, hopefully without inherent weaknesses.

That said, it is a Honda so least you can get it fixed, buy the Beama and you will need very deep pockets when it goes titzup..oh and lots of patients waiting for parts. I have watched a lot of long distance BMW trips on Youtube and lots of things go wrong when they get off the autobahns.

Remember too that this is a "cheapo" BMW and that means accountants involvement....aaaagh.... Remember the demise of that Merc reliability when the bean-counters stuck their noses in.

So this comparison between these two suspect bikes is a good one IMO, both nice bikes to park on the driveway. 

So do you have links you can post as to where the 300 engine is a lemon, or is this as usual, just you saying something you cannot back up?

I have had mine 3yrs as a commuter and never had an issue, I have had worse bikes in the past 20yrs.

On 04/01/2017 at 0:08 PM, dingerbel said:

So do you have links you can post as to where the 300 engine is a lemon, or is this as usual, just you saying something you cannot back up?

I have had mine 3yrs as a commuter and never had an issue, I have had worse bikes in the past 20yrs.

All you have to do is look through this and other threads, engines fragmenting, recalls, other failures, I call that a lemon, especially from the top manufacturer.

The old 250cc engine seems to be pretty rock solid (by all accounts) so something when wrong somewhere, hence "lemon". To me it sounds like a marketing led project anyway with only 286cc, but branded as a 300cc, so I do suspect those guys had a heavy hand in it.

We have seen people on this forum who have had very good service from their Honda Phantoms, my experience is the complete opposite and my friend's Phantom was little better. Having seen the engine stripped, I can see that many components are made right down to a price, making the bike fragile, gearbox too.

On the other hand my father owned an Austin Allegro which was later branded a "lemon", but he had 6 or 7 years of trouble free motoring. So the term is not totally definitive.

I hope your bike continues giving good service, this is my opinion, based on what I have read. Actually  "I have had worse bikes in the past 20yrs." isn't such a reassuring statement from your good self.

Maybe I should reveal how it all ended?

I went to look at the Yamaha, but they wouldn't let me try the damn bike! That's a no go for me - it looked good otherwise, except I felt that the seat was pushed a bit too long forward, making it difficult to fit my legs/knees properly around the tank.

I had a go at the Benelli- nice bike, sounded excellent, but the weight could be felt in the handling at low speed. The one I tried also had some minor issues that didn't give me complete confidence in the build quality - small stupid things like faded plastic, the upholstery felt a bit lumpy, and corroded metal at some of the unpainted parts... which I guess could be expected at the lower price.

Went to have a look at the Duke 390 as well, but that definitely felt very small - seat height was ok, but at 191 cm it felt too short... oh, and the way the engine sounds, is not my cup of tea.

So I went back to Kawasaki and asked for a proper test ride. They weren't to happy about it, but they finally found one I could try - I think it was owned by someone from the shop. In every aspect it just felt better than the Benelli, and after a bit of riding around I found myself sitting quite comfortable on it. It's easy to ride at low speed, and doesn't feel too strained at higher (90-100km/t) speed - I will not be going any faster than that. The brakes actually feel a smudge better than the Benelli, which I had read online had excellent brakes.

So... most likely due to the weird concept of thai dealerships expecting you to buy something without letting you try it first, I ended up with the Z300. It isn't as feature-rich as the MT-03 (I don't even know if the Yamaha has the slipper clutch?), but it's a nice bike, that's easy to drive around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/19/2016 at 9:46 PM, mark131v said:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2015/november/bmw-g310r-roadster-revealed/

I dare say it will be well built but a 34 bhp single in a segment with some nice cheap bikes that pack a lot more power and thrills I would struggle to see who it is aimed at other than badge collectors....

It will sell in huge no's if the price is right, JUST because of the badge, no doubt about it.

Hell you can sit in a bar and tell everybody that you ride a BMW motorbike. Well I don't want one but I am sure many young Thai dudes do.

Yes the 281cc (the one Honda call 300, LOL) was faulty designed in the engine, which have been very costly for Honda. Somebody got red ears for sure, all US 2015&2016 (both) 300 models had to go in and getting a complete rebuild done in the engine. Ups

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2015-2016-honda-cbr-motorcycle-recall-stop-sale-300-sport-bike-news

On 06/01/2017 at 3:42 PM, AllanB said:

All you have to do is look through this and other threads, engines fragmenting, recalls, other failures, I call that a lemon, especially from the top manufacturer.

The old 250cc engine seems to be pretty rock solid (by all accounts) so something when wrong somewhere, hence "lemon". To me it sounds like a marketing led project anyway with only 286cc, but branded as a 300cc, so I do suspect those guys had a heavy hand in it.

We have seen people on this forum who have had very good service from their Honda Phantoms, my experience is the complete opposite and my friend's Phantom was little better. Having seen the engine stripped, I can see that many components are made right down to a price, making the bike fragile, gearbox too.

On the other hand my father owned an Austin Allegro which was later branded a "lemon", but he had 6 or 7 years of trouble free motoring. So the term is not totally definitive.

I hope your bike continues giving good service, this is my opinion, based on what I have read. Actually  "I have had worse bikes in the past 20yrs." isn't such a reassuring statement from your good self.

So after all that, what you are saying is no, you cannot point to anything which says this engine is a lemon then?

I am not looking to reassure, I am stating a fact. 

The fact is, you dont have one, all your "evidence" is based on hearsay and anecdote at best, yet I do have one and have had zero issues. So try and stop trying to make yourself somehow important by having a comment on every thread going and come up with facts. 

Austin Allegro... whats that got to do with anything?

Honda themselves not think that all is fine. The launch of the Honda Rebel 300 was postponed... as Honda expect disappointing sales numbers for the model. Of course this are rumors, but nothing from Honda to say anything different...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Honda themselves not think that all is fine. The launch of the Honda Rebel 300 was postponed... as Honda expect disappointing sales numbers for the model. Of course this are rumors, but nothing from Honda to say anything different...

Well. I own one and there are two others at my condo. We've all had the recall carried out and neither they or myself are having any probs.
The Honda CX 500 had a problem with the camchain tensioner on the 1978 models, it was sorted out by Honda but took a long time to get rid of the stigma. I owned a 78',model in 1983, No problems.
Do you own a CBR 300 by the way?

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 1/19/2017 at 8:52 AM, 01322521959 said:

Well. I own one and there are two others at my condo. We've all had the recall carried out and neither they or myself are having any probs.
The Honda CX 500 had a problem with the camchain tensioner on the 1978 models, it was sorted out by Honda but took a long time to get rid of the stigma. I owned a 78',model in 1983, No problems.
Do you own a CBR 300 by the way?

Dear 01322521959,

I’m sure that Honda is capable to fix the problems with the Honda CB(R)300RF engine. To be honest, the Honda CB300F and CBR300R are actual motorcycles I like. My post has little to nothing to do with me having a Honda 300cc or not, it has more to do with reason why Honda doesn’t introduce the (Made in Thailand) Honda Rebel 300…

I’m sure that lots of people would love to get the hands on a Honda 300cc cruiser style motorcycle again, the last small capacity cruiser-style motorcycle from Honda they Phantom TA-200 was taken off the market some 10-years ago… and is still in demand.

Point taken. I suppose i be put my hard earned cash into buying what I thought was the right bike for me and am a little upset about being wrong. I must say I was never that interested in the rebel. The 250 twin dates back to the 70's. I must admit the engine on my CBR 300 is not what I expected.

What's happening with the 250RR/350RR?

Twin cylinder, 30 something HP. Is it being released in Thailand? In Bigwing or standard dealers? Is there a 350cc version for other regions (America and Europe) as rumoured?

The Honda CB300F is not underpowered, it is equipped with a 286cc single-cylinder engine that produce about 30 horsepower and 27Nm of torque. For example the Kawasaki Ninja 300 has 4 horsepower more but almost 4Nm less torque.

If you ride a 300cc and expect the performance of a 500cc or 650cc you just have bought the wrong motorcycle.

Edited by Richard-BKK

22 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

The Honda CB300F is not underpowered, it is equipped with a 286cc single-cylinder engine that produce about 30 horsepower and 27Nm of torque. For example the Kawasaki Ninja 300 has 4 horsepower more but almost 4Nm less torque.

Richard, i generally respect your posts but really? Are you trying to say that a CBR300 has more power than a Ninja300? You can quote stats all you like but in the real world a ninja leaves the CBR for dead on the road.

1 hour ago, macknife said:

Richard, i generally respect your posts but really? Are you trying to say that a CBR300 has more power than a Ninja300? You can quote stats all you like but in the real world a ninja leaves the CBR for dead on the road.

Dear Macknife,

The 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 300 has 4 horsepower more than the Honda CB300F.

The Honda CB300F has 3 to 4Nm (depending who you believe) Torque more than the Kawasaki Ninja 300.

The Kawasaki Ninja 300 is faster that is true, but on day-to-day riding I would not call the Honda CB300F underpowered.

On 28/01/2017 at 11:35 AM, Richard-BKK said:

Dear Macknife,

The 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 300 has 4 horsepower more than the Honda CB300F.

The Honda CB300F has 3 to 4Nm (depending who you believe) Torque more than the Kawasaki Ninja 300.

The Kawasaki Ninja 300 is faster that is true, but on day-to-day riding I would not call the Honda CB300F underpowered.

I think not Richard. It is not 4 horsepower.

30HP for the Honda, 39Hp for the Ninja 42HP for the R3, 9 HP is quite a difference on smaller bikes.

Cycleworld have tested it as low as 27HP, so yes it is underpowered compared to the other bikes in it's class, of course that is reflected in the price difference.

http://www.therideadvice.com/yamaha-r3-vs-kawasaki-ninja-300-vs-honda-cbr300r-specification-comparison/

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/02/13/2015-honda-cbr300r-entry-level-sportbike-motorcycle-dyno-run-video-and-performance-chart

My friends has a Honda and we have ridden together many times, so I know how it performs in the real world. As for this thread he has had zero issues with his after about 20,000kms

4 hours ago, macknife said:

I think not Richard. It is not 4 horsepower.

30HP for the Honda, 39Hp for the Ninja 42HP for the R3, 9 HP is quite a difference on smaller bikes.

Cycleworld have tested it as low as 27HP, so yes it is underpowered compared to the other bikes in it's class, of course that is reflected in the price difference.

http://www.therideadvice.com/yamaha-r3-vs-kawasaki-ninja-300-vs-honda-cbr300r-specification-comparison/

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/02/13/2015-honda-cbr300r-entry-level-sportbike-motorcycle-dyno-run-video-and-performance-chart

My friends has a Honda and we have ridden together many times, so I know how it performs in the real world. As for this thread he has had zero issues with his after about 20,000kms

That answers the question for me, I will not be buying the underpowered Honda 300.  And as the rivals have ridicules pillion positions so I will not be buying them also.  Hmmm