Honda CB300 - safe to buy now?

bek

On 27/01/2017 at 4:17 AM, Richard-BKK said:

The Honda CB300F is not underpowered, it is equipped with a 286cc single-cylinder engine that produce about 30 horsepower and 27Nm of torque. For example the Kawasaki Ninja 300 has 4 horsepower more but almost 4Nm less torque.

If you ride a 300cc and expect the performance of a 500cc or 650cc you just have bought the wrong motorcycle.

The R3 is not very far at all from the new Honda 500's and more fun to ride in most respects....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mark131v said:

The R3 is not very far at all from the new Honda 500's and more fun to ride in most respects....

Intereresting!  What do you like about the R-3?  They seem compact and powerful.

20 hours ago, Rhys said:

Intereresting!  What do you like about the R-3?  They seem compact and powerful.

Small and compact but comfortable riding position plus they rev to the moon and are very easy to chuck around, they also have a lot of nice bells and whistles such as gear change light and gear indicator

I put an R6 throttle body on mine and that upped the fun factor too and made it a much more grown up ride and made it feel more responsive....

Initially got it for the missus as she was struggling to keep up with my CB500 on her Ninja 250 on longer runs, no such issues with the R3

On 18/01/2017 at 11:47 AM, Richard-BKK said:

Honda themselves not think that all is fine. The launch of the Honda Rebel 300 was postponed... as Honda expect disappointing sales numbers for the model. Of course this are rumors, but nothing from Honda to say anything different...

I hardly think that manufacturers not saying anything different can be relied on as validating rumours.  Rumours abound with regard to everything.  Just look at the smartphone world.  The fact that Samsung or Apple don't pop up every 5 minutes saying 'not true' doesn't validate the rumours, most of which are just 'click-bait' garbage.

On 2/2/2560 at 11:36 PM, mark131v said:

Small and compact but comfortable riding position plus they rev to the moon and are very easy to chuck around, they also have a lot of nice bells and whistles such as gear change light and gear indicator

I put an R6 throttle body on mine and that upped the fun factor too and made it a much more grown up ride and made it feel more responsive....

Initially got it for the missus as she was struggling to keep up with my CB500 on her Ninja 250 on longer runs, no such issues with the R3

I  have been considering the possibility of switching to the R-3... Now just have to get my huveos back from my wife..

Thanks for the insights...

I am looking forward to buy new motorcycle cause riding scooter is boring. I was in shop and seat on both CBR300r and CB300f, bikes look good and price is much better than from competitors. Kawasaki z250 costs almost 30 000 baht more and have no ABS. Does anyone knows if 2017 years models still have problems with crankshaft?

On 2/15/2017 at 11:32 AM, 01322521959 said:

All sorted now according to Honda. I'd thoroughly rrcomend the CBR300 to you. It is a lot cheaper than the Ninja and is pretty much as good in the real world. I'm enjoying mine now the weather is good.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I just bought Yamaha R3. It is more expensive, but has gear indicator and 2 cylinders. My friends who ride bikes for long time told me what one big cylinder on 300cc bike can be imbalanced which can cause engine problems and vibrations at speed, so better have two cylinders or buy 150cc bike with one cylinder.

On 15/2/2560 at 11:32 AM, 01322521959 said:

All sorted now according to Honda. I'd thoroughly rrcomend the CBR300 to you. It is a lot cheaper than the Ninja and is pretty much as good in the real world. I'm enjoying mine now the weather is good.

I have to admit, I enjoy riding the CBR 300R, modified with the Thai Apravoich (Version)  sound good.. Baraoom..... Don't need to jump on it, yet has the power to pass when I need it.. Not into racing any body...

However, I still debate.. the CB 500 X for my Bucket ride of T-land... I like a little more comfort...

Cheers Matesexy-asian-biker-babe-girl-motorcycle-bike-20-japanese.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2016 at 10:40 AM, bek said:

I have tried the Z300, and I don't feel comfortable on - or should I say in it, as I feel like I sit in it, not on it.
I will try and have a look at the Yamaha.

I have seen quite a few Benelli's driving around, and they sound very good - but it seems that there has been some minor quality problems with them, when doing a bit of googling - and they're still not available with ABS?

When is the BMW available? I have seen it mentioned a few times online, but have only seen a release date in India mentioned.

And how much extra would you have to pay for the BMW badge over the Honda 300? Not to mention service costs..the Honda 300 crank issue was bad news for the model, knocked at least 10K baht of the resale price which makes for some cheap buys out there for fixed crank examples..

On 1/8/2017 at 6:43 PM, bek said:

Maybe I should reveal how it all ended?

I went to look at the Yamaha, but they wouldn't let me try the damn bike! That's a no go for me - it looked good otherwise, except I felt that the seat was pushed a bit too long forward, making it difficult to fit my legs/knees properly around the tank.

So... most likely due to the weird concept of thai dealerships expecting you to buy something without letting you try it first, I ended up with the Z300. It isn't as feature-rich as the MT-03 (I don't even know if the Yamaha has the slipper clutch?), but it's a nice bike, that's easy to drive around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Bek,

Many thanks for your time and posts - I have read them with interest. I, too, have recently entered the 300cc marketplace and found your Z300 comments and those about the benefits/drawbacks of a single cylinder vs. twin insightful. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to post about life with your new machine in a month or two? 

Safe and happy riding...

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

All this debate about which is best. I have 3 bikes which makes for an interesting comparison. A 21 year old Honda Tena 2 stroke, a Yamaha Nano Spark 2012 and the CBR. The Tens does most things as well as the CBR in Bangkok and gets through traffic better. The only time when Ceeby does better is when the road opens up. Petrol consumption on them is similar at 32-35 kmpl. Sparky has just one problems, its gutless.
Out of town of course is a very different matter.

• 2 months later...

Hi Bek,

Many thanks for your time and posts - I have read them with interest. I, too, have recently entered the 300cc marketplace and found your Z300 comments and those about the benefits/drawbacks of a single cylinder vs. twin insightful. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to post about life with your new machine in a month or two? 

Safe and happy riding...

Jim

I'm still happy with the bike.
I've had some longer trips (which for me is 50+km), without feeling totally broken afterwards. My biggest concern before buying the bike, was if the bike would feel too small on longer rides, as I'm 191cm - but no problem.

The engine is spot on for its size - nice power development, can pick up speed from 3000 RPM, and no vibrations worth mentioning. 90% of my riding is within city limits, so the limited power doesn't bother me - the roads here in Udon aren't for high speed driving, anyway.

Initially I had some problems with my hands numbing up when driving. At first I thought it was due to the handles (they are not exactly soft), but I adjusted my position on the bike a bit, which helped.

The only thing I dislike on the bike, is the stock exhaust - it's very quiet, and looks chunky. I thought about getting a Akrapovic fitted, but I'm still driving stock.
If anyone know of a good shop who will sell and for the exhaust here in Udon, let me know!

All in all, I'm happy with the bike, it's perfect for my use around the city - I just wish I had time for riding it a bit more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...