Aghhh! Blinding Lights!!! Quality Eye Mask Needed

Stubby

Hi Folks,

There are these all-night lamps on just outside my window, which shine a subtle light through the curtains. I want to find a quality eye mask but don't seem to have any luck. I've seen a few Thai airline ones for sale in drug stores, but they're flimsy. I would prefer something that lasts if possible. For now I'm wrapping an old bandanna around my eyes but it's always off by morning, and the light wakes me up far too early. If anyone knows of anywhere in Chiang Mai where I might find a decent eye mask, please let me know.

Stubby

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Go to Index and get some decent thick curtains, also blocks sunlight! 

I'm renting John, so I don't really want to invest in a pair of blackout curtains when I could be moving on in a few months. My current curtains are long and heavy, so not too bad. It's just that they're not blackout quality, and subtle light does disturb me. A portable eye mask a lot more sense.

Thanks for the suggestion though ;)

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

It sounds like you're in a big city, probably Bkk.  Anyhow.  Years ago, I took a sample eye mask to a local Thai seamstress.  I also took material (including the wimpy elastic) and, after seeing one sample from her hand, asked her to sew 50 for me.   I use them to siesta, but not overnight.  Some get lost and sometimes an elastic will dislodge, but even after 15 yrs, I still have about half of them.  You would think some Thai entrepreneur would think to make and market them, but alas, Thais can't think outside the box.  There are many common/useful items that can't be readily found in Thailand.  I used to make long lists, but have gone on to other things to occupy my time.

2 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

It sounds like you're in a big city, probably Bkk.  Anyhow.  Years ago, I took a sample eye mask to a local Thai seamstress.  I also took material (including the wimpy elastic) and, after seeing one sample from her hand, asked her to sew 50 for me.   I use them to siesta, but not overnight.  Some get lost and sometimes an elastic will dislodge, but even after 15 yrs, I still have about half of them.  You would think some Thai entrepreneur would think to make and market them, but alas, Thais can't think outside the box.  There are many common/useful items that can't be readily found in Thailand.  I used to make long lists, but have gone on to other things to occupy my time.

LOL :)  NO, I'm in nice remote setting in Chiang Mai surrounded by nature. The problem is there are these decorative lamps that light the paths and roads up at night. The search continues...

Hi Folks,

There are these all-night lamps on just outside my window, which shine a subtle light through the curtains. I want to find a quality eye mask but don't seem to have any luck. I've seen a few Thai airline ones for sale in drug stores, but they're flimsy. I would prefer something that lasts if possible. For now I'm wrapping an old bandanna around my eyes but it's always off by morning, and the light wakes me up far too early. If anyone knows of anywhere in Chiang Mai where I might find a decent eye mask, please let me know.

Stubby

Here is a simple solution I stumbled on

- black tshirt

- put it on as u normally would do over your head, but not put arms or body in

- pull it back off so the collar is around ear level, but nose and mouth free

- done

Remainder of black tshirt can put on head / face, stays there nicely

Pretty much pitch black , even in broad daylight , and a bonus it keeps our forehead warm ( other wise my nose clogs up with the aircon )

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

Here is a simple solution I stumbled on

- black tshirt
- put it on as u normally would do over your head, but not put arms or body in
- pulls it up so the collar is around ear level, but nose and mouth free
- done

Remainder of black tshirt can put on head / face, stays there nicely

Pretty much pitch black , even in broad daylight , and a bonus it keeps our forehead warm ( other wise my nose clogs up with the aircon )

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Hahaha LOL :) That won't work for me Skippy, there's just far too much going up upstairs. All I need is a bit of sweat and I'm in a water boarding nightmare. Even the small knot at the back of a bandanna can irritate me sometimes. No, I need a proper eye mask—if I can find one—that's unobtrusive, light weight, and very dark. Thanks for your suggestion anyway—I think ;)

Suggest you trot on down to the Warorot Market and numerous fabric shops round there.  Find the opaque curtain material used for windows, test it first, then buy minimum amount.  Then find nearby gal with sewing machine, bring old eye mask that fits well, instruct her on your needs and voila, next day done.

Soft cotton against the eyes probably better than the curtain, she can do that too. 

I've also made my own ear plugs.  It's a sad commentary on Thailand, when a person has to make eye covers and ear plugs - just to get by.  BTW, it's sometimes ok to mention to the people making loud sounds and/or dispensing light pollution - to tone it down.  Yes, they'll probably get offended, and that's why you've got to say it like a fairy talking to a great-grandmother, bow bow ('softly softly', in Thai).    I've also picked up trash in many places in Thailand, but that's another topic.    Added note, since everyone in Thailand tells white lies to get a point across, tell the people with the lights on all night that you have a telescope, and you can't see the stars as readily, with so much outside lighting.

Another angle:  Ask the light polluter to put shields over the lights and/or use lower wattage bulbs.    I've had similar issues with my Thai neighbors.   Once I snuck over to their place while they were away and put a shield on a light that was shining into my house.   Another time, I put up a large 4 x 3 meter cloth on a frame (on my side of property line), to block light.   Nowadays, I just try to adapt and say nothing.   95% of the time, if you mention such things to a Thai, they'll either slough it off with a chuckle, or they'll get offended/angry.    And then there loud annoying sounds.........  Welcome to Thailand.

Thanks to everyone for all the contributions here.

There have been both good and daft suggestions here, but all have been appreciated. Some even gave a  good laugh, though I'm not sure if that was the intention or not. The best solution was a link posted by "Strange" above. I would never have thought of that. Anyway, as long as they have one in stock, it looks like a good solution to the problem at last.

http://www.lazada.co.th/3d-sleeping-eye-mask-black-1976302.html

THE THIRD PILLAR OF GOOD HEALTH

This may have seemed like a trivial request, but it's not really. A lack of sleep, or quality slumber, on a regular basis is no joke as I'm sure some can appreciate. There are those who can sleep in the middle of a busy runway - others are  not so fortunate. Sleep is the third pillar of good health, the other two being good diet and regular exercise. Just one of theses three needs to be out of whack and living becomes less than it could be.

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

On 10/21/2016 at 1:05 AM, playyer said:

I use the same mask you are looking to buy, it works fine

Just a quick update folks.  I gave up on that site - LAZADA. They seem to have a lot of decent stuff for sale, and good prices too. But ordering from them is another story. I won't be going back. 

My UK PayPal account says it's not possible to send goods in Thailand from LAZADA. That's strange as PP is an international payment system. That's the whole point. Anyway, I then I tried to use my valid UK credit card. Again, the order didn't go through. This time I got a "transaction canceled" error. So then I tried Cash on Delivery and got the following message: Cash on Delivery is not available for these products. 

There were other, more manual payment options, but by this time, and a few more failed attempts, I'd had enough and decided to not bother. 

You know, there seems to be something odd about buying things online and having them delivered in Thailand. I mean, I couldn't even get a new Kindle delivered to Chiang Mai from Amazon in January. I ended up buying it from eBay. And two other smaller items I bought from eBay earlier this year never even arrived. It's a strange place like that, not being able to use internationally recognized payment methods to buy stuff and have it delivered here. 

I eventually trudged the floors of Central Airport Plaza. There were plenty of travel shops, and some of them even sold traveler kits, which included ear plugs and neck pillows. But no sleep masks! It's a bit like selling a bike without a seat. I was just about to give up when I came across another shop on the third floor and found what I was looking for. 

Good night Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! 

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

Just feeling with the OP.

And you don't have to be in a big city.

The dumb-nuts in our village have installed super cheap big tubes with no relevant housing for "street" illumination.

Just that they shine to about every direction e.g. to our bedroom :post-4641-1156694606:

Proper street-lamps are available but they obviously spent the money on something else.

Light pollution is a sign of the times worldwide.

Hard to find a real dark places to watch the stars nowadays.

15 years ago on holiday I could watch the milky way while sitting on the terrace.

All gone.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 19/10/2016 at 6:46 PM, boomerangutang said:

This is a really good idea, the airline ones are not the best, but worse, vinyl usually plays some part in them.  Front and back material doesn't matter, but so you can buy in small quantity, black felt with is availiable in craft supply size.  The ladies themselves would probably go and buy the bits and pieces of elastic and the like, just make sure they understand nothing that is going to make you sweat and good black out.  Someone from your hotel should be able to write it up for you so that there is no misunderstanding.

If you can get your hands on an eye-mask by Emirates, they are another level. I am very sensitive to light and yet I can sleep through the morning with it.

btw, it's really a shame how there is no control on light pollution. As for music, the louder the better. There are some bright advertisement screens on the road that almost blind me when I drive.