Chang Mai Or Buriram

glenbat

I spent 2 months in Pattaya earlier this year and now would like to see the other parts of the country, places less 'westernised'. I was originally looking at Kanchanaburi, I think because it was only an hour or 2 from BKK, but have been told Chang Mai is nicer?

I've got a couple of friends who live in Buriram (thai ladys) who've said come visit them there so am undecided, and a little cautious too as it will be my first trip away on my own. It will only be for a week, then probably back to BKK for a week then on to meet others in Patts for the final week

It wont be til early next year but just doing some homework and fishing for ideas

Any comments greatly recieved

glenbat

I'm somewhat biased towards Chiang Mai but it can be a bit touristy in places, though there's a whole lot of real history to be found up north. Buriram is probably more "real" in that it's not so touristy, but what is there to do?

If I were you I'd pick Chiang Mai and just avoid the tourist traps. The mountains, the hilltribes, the lanna culture, are all a must-see and the prices are still quite reasonable.

No shortage of Thai ladies to befriend their either. :o

Oh, and it's a break from the heat (30c day/ 15-20c nights)