May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

3 hours ago, aright said:

Sterling jumped 1.5% on the back of good news, that's normal intraday trading, whoopee!

But, IF sustained, IF ALL the good news continues to be confirmed for the next year or so, here's the impact:

"The rise in the value of the pound, if sustained, would lead to cheaper imports and lower inflation, but would make UK exports less competitive". Of course!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/29/pound-brexit-divorce-bill-trade-talks-sterling-dollar-euro-financial-settlement-uk-eu

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42178038

UK net immigration dropping like a stone! Brexiters must be delighted. Never mind that general nastiness and low pay and conditions are the drivers. Well done! ?

The exchange rate is the main driver,the pound is having a moment and if it keeps on rising the UK will be attractive for workers,if it drops again the ones that are in the UK doing the crap jobs on an hourly rate will be gone.still all those brexiters will jump in and save the day and make Brexit the great success they have always claimed it will be. 

20 minutes ago, adammike said:

The exchange rate is the main driver,the pound is having a moment and if it keeps on rising the UK will be attractive for workers,if it drops again the ones that are in the UK doing the crap jobs on an hourly rate will be gone.still all those brexiters will jump in and save the day and make Brexit the great success they have always claimed it will be. 

Why will it be attractive to workers other than being able to buy more cheap imports???

Edited by Basil B

Just now, Basil B said:

Why will it be attractive to workers other than being able to by more cheap imports???

I was replying to a post about immigrants not British workers people who can earn more per hour in the UK than at home simply a high pound is worth more to their family back home,they don't want to put up with more crap and nastiness for the same pay as they would get back home.A pound that drops to parity with the Euro is great as an anti immigration tool.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, adammike said:

The problem is that half of the Brexiteers are lounging away their days on a Thai bar stool , drooling over their Changs and tiraks whilst tapping away furiously on their smartphones heralding the  moment they 'got their country back'. Or it seems like that reading this thread. I shall recommend that Mr Grouse for a gong though he has the stamina of an Olympian shot putter and the patience of Buddha. 

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

The problem is that half of the Brexiteers are lounging away their days on a Thai bar stool , drooling over their Changs and tiraks whilst tapping away furiously on their smartphones heralding the  moment they 'got their country back'. Or it seems like that reading this thread. I shall recommend that Mr Grouse for a gong though he has the stamina of an Olympian shot putter and the patience of Buddha. 

Forum troll Grouse lives in Thailand. (I live in the Manchester in the UK btw).

4 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I believe the problem is the opposite of what you cite, many remainers are expats here in Thailand whilst lots of forum Brexiteers are UK resident, wishing they weren't, why else would they spend all their waking hours on TVF!

4 hours ago, adammike said:

Anyone who lives in the UK, as I do (I understand you live in the Netherlands), is made aware of the fact every day that our country has become full to bursting point over the last five years. Getting across a medium-sized satellite town during the, now, three-to-four hour rush-hour periods takes at least twice as long as it did five years ago. Try getting a doctor's appointment: you'll be lucky to get one inside the next three weeks. House rental prices have gone through the roof (I know: I'm a small-scale landlord), etc, etc. Any drop in immigration at this stage is a huge positive. Once we have back control over who can come in, and can properly assess who is here, we can manage immigration to suit the country's needs. As opposed to greedy, socially irresponsible businesses using cheap, unlimited labour from Europe to drive down the wages of everyone up to and including the middle classes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I believe the problem is the opposite of what you cite, many remainers are expats here in Thailand whilst lots of forum Brexiteers are UK resident, wishing they weren't, why else would they spend all their waking hours on TVF!

I agree . I have just returned from a month in the LOS and I found around the bars there were more ex pat Remainers than Brexiteers. This begs the question why do these people who don't want to stay in Britain want a say in Britains future. If their future is in Thailand they don't have a dog in the fight and it would be wrong to influence a vote or an opinion which has an effect on UK  residents but whose result has no effect on them. 

1 minute ago, aright said:

I agree . I have just returned from a month in the LOS and I found around the bars there were more ex pat Remainers than Brexiteers. This begs the question why do these people who don't want to stay in Britain want a say in Britains future. If their future is in Thailand they don't have a dog in the fight and it would be wrong to influence a vote or an opinion which has an effect on UK  residents but whose result has no effect on them. 

A couple of possible reasons:

As a long-term resident expat I'm not caught up in the daily grind of complaints about the EU that permeate the media and come at residents from all sides, I like to think I'm therefore slightly more objective in my view and can look at the issue unemotionally. Being an expat doesn't mean I've relinquished my British citizenship you'll find that most expats are more patriotic than many residents and this has always been the case, "an English is never at home unless he's abroad". Many expats also have families in the UK so trying to divorce themselves from the Brexit issue is often impossible, the other aspect, of course, is that todays expat is often tomorrows UK resident!

Just now, aright said:

I don't think KH was advocating we get rid of all foreign labour but as he said we need to manage immigration to suit the country's needs. In the EU our borders were too porous to do that.

Managing immigration is not an unreasonable expectation, although I have to wonder how effectively that can be done at this late stage in the game, I suspect many expect a return to the glory days of the 1970's and that's just not going to happen. Limiting further increases is very doable but two key factors remain: the first is the extent to which people in the UK are BOTH willing and able to do the jobs now performed by foreign labour, and secondly; second, third and fourth generation immigrants are here to stay and I'm thinking specifically of the North of England where unfettered demand and access to jobs in the 1960's resulted in todays towns that are almost entirely non-Anglo Saxon, that situation will not change at all as a result of Brexit.

32 minutes ago, aright said:

Their dog in the fight is the Baht in their pockets: the stick with which one-or-two forum remainers were inanely trying to beat expat brexiters :coffee1:.