May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

32 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

'Bigoted hatred' of Germans is nonsense, we may make jokes about them in the same way as we do the Scots, Welsh, and Irish. We are more likely to envy and admire them..Thats why the Brits buy so many of their cars, machinery, wine. and Bechsteins... Made in Germany..the mark of excellence in the UK.  Cool out and pet your dog.

if you remember around 1990,

when East and West Germany were folded together into Germany;

many a UK politician let fall rather strong negative words re Germany and her politicians

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Hang on a minute - I was unfortunate enough to live in (or nearby) to Luton for a while.  It's turned into an appalling place with certain areas entirely devoid of any 'white faces'.  This sounds equally appalling - except those areas are now the home of many Brit hating, moslem radicals.

But this has nothing to do with the EU.

Nonetheless your derogatory comment about 'what the Luton man is thinking these days' annoyed me as I'm sure you know nothing about the area, and so have no understanding as to why so many locals have become racist.

There's no need to take it personally, it was a turn of phrase, I might just as easily have said Basildon man or anywhere else, the phrase was intended to refer to the working man in the street. BTW as it happens I lived 6 miles outside Luton for several years.

But yes, it does have a lot to do with EU because it was "Luton man" who voted for Brexit so it's useful to understand what he is reading and thinking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Then you read biased reports from one side only.

How can you counterbalance your bias without reading both sides of the story?

I'm very confident that I read news across the spectrum of reasonable sources and that reading The Express, for example, would not add anything to what I will have already learned from reading the broadsheets etc. other than opinion.

• Like 1

I was reading a piece about fox hunting yesterday where the writer took the view that opposition to it has nothing to do with animal cruelty for most people, but rather a massive dislike or worse of the types of people who participate in it and what they stand for - Brexit is becoming a bit like that.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Post Christmas forum pages seem to be dominated by moaners who have steered the ship way off topic. Well done.   

? Well done?

Ah I see.

You think that the remainers are all in a conspiracy, and are paid by euhh just who exactly?

• Like 1

Since we're talking about The Express and impartiality and trust, here's the Press Gazette ipsos MORI poll on the subject, note where the Express ranks and also where the Guardian, Independent and Telegraph rank:

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/facebook-more-trusted-news-daily-star-according-bbc-commissioned-survey/

Here's another, this time a bias check, Express if far right they say, who'd have thought it!

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-express/

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

if you remember around 1990,

when East and West Germany were folded together into Germany;

many a UK politician let fall rather strong negative words re Germany and her politicians

UK politicians..say no more.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

In my experience, nobody in recent years bore any animosity towards the Germans - until brexit :sad:.

It is depressing/worrying that brexit has brought up all the old animosities and grievances, as the German led EU plays the 'punishment' card :sad: 

Yes, it's the germans doing the punishing. The rest of the EU wants to give the UK a big wet kiss. But these other nations are powerless to stop the Germans because if they object the Germans will.........???????????? Launch a submarine attack?

27 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Yes, it's the germans doing the punishing. The rest of the EU wants to give the UK a big wet kiss. But these other nations are powerless to stop the Germans because if they object the Germans will.........???????????? Launch a submarine attack?

Submarine? V1? V2?

Nooooooooo.

They could launch THE WITZE.

• Like 2

To be honest, I like "German jokes".

That is, "German jokes" that make fun of the people that tell them.

"The Germans" in Fawlty tower is an excellent example of that.

But now I wonder: did the Brits ever understand that joke?

Ah where have all the good times gone, when Brits were concidered to be the funniest people in the universe? Next came Benny Hill, Farage and Boris. So sad.

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Pity you had to ignore the Guardian article and jump to The Telegraph which is behind a paywall and we are unable to confirm whether it included Haldane's remarks which the Guardian did referring to Haldane's conclusions. So let's include that as you wish to avoid:

".......has surprised to the upside. [There’s been] greater resilience, in particular among consumers and among the housing market, than we had expected. Has that led us to fundamentally change our view on the fortunes of the economy looking forward over the next several years? Not really.

“This is more a question, I think, of timing than of a fundamental reassessment of the fortunes of the economy. So back in November we published a forecast for inflation which was the highest we’ve ever published. And the forecast for growth in the UK economy, that was the lowest we have ever published."

Now go sit at the back of the class and stop jumping about.

:laugh:

I linked to the Telegraph article through Google news, which bypasses such firewalls, as you realised when you read the linked article. You will be allowed back into the class when you admit your 'the cat ate my homework' attempt at deceit, and admit that you were wrong about Andy Haldane's explanation. Sometimes it's better to swallow your pride and admit you were wrong, and not try to dig yourself further into a hole.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

This would be the 'Liverpool' model which opposed the minimum wage and predicted that millions of unemployed would be created as a result of the introduction of the minimum wage. Not that forum Brexiteers are remotely interested. All that they know is that there is one academic on their side. Pity the theory doesn't hold up. For a good debunk read here: http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/the-britain-alone-scenario-how-economists-for-brexit-defy-the-laws-of-gravity/

World trade in general defies the 'laws' of gravity economics.

And the prediction about the effect of a minimum wage would have borne at least some fruit had it not been tempered by wages in general being kept down by the mass influx of cheap eastern European labour which started around the the same time.

Have you managed to work out how to read a link which isn't behind a firewall yet btw?

Edited by Khun Han

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

It would appear that some Brexiteers on this thread are either intellectually incapable or unwilling to follow any presented arguments at all. All a bit embarrassing really. Hardly worth the bother.

Express readers, what more can be said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

It would appear that some Brexiteers on this thread are either intellectually incapable or unwilling to follow any presented arguments at all. All a bit embarrassing really. Hardly worth the bother.

Who wants to follow a presented argument by someone who does things like falsely claiming that they can't read a linked article which proves them wrong? :laugh:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Who wants to follow a presented argument by someone who does things like falsely claiming that they can't read a linked article which proves them wrong? :laugh:

Which article, I have a sub. to the Telegraph?

11 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Which article, I have a sub. to the Telegraph?

The one I linked via Google a few pages back about Andy Haldane's admission that he got his post-referendum prediction wrong because of unexpectedly buoyant consumer spending.

18 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

From the first punk song ever - My Generation by The Who, in 1965 (no not 1975) : I hope I die before I get old.

I can only hope that I will see that moment coming, and not end up as a sad old, flag waving man. That would be embarrassing.

I'm serious.

And for once I am not sarcastic.

33 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

It's the former