First time 90 day report...turned away

A friend who arrived on June 27, 2016 with a one year O Visa had his 90 report due on September 25, 2016. Under the assumption that he had 7 days before or after to complete the report he went on the 28th and was told he must leave the country and reenter because the first 90 day report had to be completed on time. He had proof of address since he and his Thai wife were new to the Village. Is this a fact concerning the first 90 day report?

You can not make a 90 day report a Non Imm O VISA you inside Thailand... you must out of the country to get new days. The only O-VISA that you can 90 day report inside Thailand, is the NON IMMIGRANT O-A VISA

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

If your friend has a multiple entry non-o visa obtained outside thailand, then he gets 90 days permission to stay per entry while the visa is still valid. If he wants to stay longer...he has to do a border run (sometimes called a visa run). You stamp out of thailand, into the neighbor country, back out of neighbor country and into thailand. He will get another 90 days permission to stay stamp. Repeat the process until the visa expires. You can get up to 15 months if you do a final border run just before visa expires.

Now if he was on a 1 year extension of stay (applied for within thailand at local immigration office), then 90 day reports would be needed.

• Like 1

This is the 24th of October now - I hope your friend departed Thailand long ago to obtain a new visa entry of 90 days as he was on overstay since September 25.  Believe he was told he had to leave on time (before midnight on the 25th of September in this case).

Edited by lopburi3

It would appear that your friend has a 1 year Multiple Entry Visa in which case.

• 90 day reporting is only required by people with permission to stay that is longer than 90 days.
  • He is given permission to stay for 90 days every time he enters.
  • At the end of 90 days he must leave the country or apply for an extension of stay.
  • He does not need to make 90 day reports as he cannot legally stay in the country for longer than 90 days (unless he applies extension).
  • He can exit and immediately re-enter at most borders.
  • He should leave by land before midnight on Oct 25th to avoid an overstay fine or by midnight on the 26th if leaving by air.
  • Everyday he stays beyond the 25th will be charged at 500 baht.

7 hours ago, elviajero said:

It would appear that your friend has a 1 year Multiple Entry Visa in which case.

• 90 day reporting is only required by people with permission to stay that is longer than 90 days.
  • He is given permission to stay for 90 days every time he enters.
  • At the end of 90 days he must leave the country or apply for an extension of stay.
  • He does not need to make 90 day reports as he cannot legally stay in the country for longer than 90 days (unless he applies extension).
  • He can exit and immediately re-enter at most borders.
  • He should leave by land before midnight on Oct 25th to avoid an overstay fine or by midnight on the 26th if leaving by air.
  • Everyday he stays beyond the 25th will be charged at 500 baht.

September !!  Sunday 25 September

the misinformation in the thai embassies is still alive i see

i had the exact same problems about 10 years ago, thinking i had to do a 90 day report, being told at immigration i was almost overstaying my visa...

the embassy in my country knew we were moving to live in thailand, still managed to get wrong info like that

While on the subject of 90 day visas I would like to ask about my Non Immigrant multi O visa based on marriage

Do i need to leave the country every 90 days or are there other options to report and remain in Thailand. Thank you in advance.  

46 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Unless you extend your stay for a year at a time at an immigration (meeting financials) you must leave every 90 days but you may extend one 90 day stay for 60 days without meeting the financials.

Shouldn't that read you can extend every 90 day stay with 60 based on visiting wife or children.