checking out my car.

overherebc

Should get my car back after a total rebuild and would like to spend some time driving it where I can sort out any problems prior to taking on public roads.

Thinking about something like trailer it to BIRA a couple of times so I can drive it to make 100% sure that brakes etc are ok, overheating etc doesn't rear it's ugly head and gaskets hold what they are supposed to hold.

Do they have 'open days' at BIRA or can anyone give me a better idea.

When you say your car had a total rebuild, what do you mean? I Cant help with anything else but personally curious as to what you had done. Specifically who did the overhaul on the engine and what machine work was done. 

Complete. Stripped to shell, all rust cut out, rewelded and new panels.

Engine was obviously removed but not rebuilt, rocker cover gasket and external gaskets only.

All suspension bushes etc, hoses brake lines fuel pump etc. Brake caliper seals redone, new master cylinder

Don't have concerns with anything major.

I would rather have a leak, problem, if it happens, not on a public road.

Wiring etc refurbished.

Edited by overherebc
adding

8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Complete. Stripped to shell, all rust cut out, rewelded and new panels.

Engine was obviously removed but not rebuilt, rocker cover gasket and external gaskets only.

All suspension bushes etc, hoses brake lines fuel pump etc. Brake caliper seals redone, new master cylinder

Don't have concerns with anything major.

I would rather have a leak, problem, if it happens, not on a public road.

Wiring etc refurbished.

Car is 42 years old by the way.

That rules me out then,started apprenticeship in 1967 on BMC Jaguar Bentley, Ford,all British stuff.

Best bet would be is to take it to a Laser Alignment centre, if they have them here? then a test station with brake rollers,that should give you a fair idea before any long road trips, good luck..

3 minutes ago, Lickey said:

That rules me out then,started apprenticeship in 1967 on BMC Jaguar Bentley, Ford,all British stuff.

Best bet would be is to take it to a Laser Alignment centre, if they have them here? then a test station with brake rollers,that should give you a fair idea before any long road trips, good luck..

Thanks for answer anyway. It's really a case of building up my confidence in the car so I feel confident driving it again. 

I'm happy with the work but want to know it's going to be safe etc before I risk it's life and mine on the roads here.

That was the thinking behind some off the public road driving to make sure.

?

You will make yourself very unpopular if it dumps oil all over a race circuit.

I think you could do many tests static and thereafter test on road choosing the time and place carefully.

If you take the UK MOT as an example the entire testing process is static and that is a pretty thorough test.

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

Thanks for answer anyway. It's really a case of building up my confidence in the car so I feel confident driving it again. 

I'm happy with the work but want to know it's going to be safe etc before I risk it's life and mine on the roads here.

That was the thinking behind some off the public road driving to make sure.

?

I mean just take it out on the street and drive it. "Decent" roads everywhere with no cops to worry about pulling you over. 

Ive built several cars from nothing and taken part in so many more. We just get in a drive it and see what needs work. In fact I don't know anyone that builds a car and takes it to a track for testing. USA or Thailand. 

What exactly is concerning you about the car? 

3 hours ago, Strange said:

I mean just take it out on the street and drive it. "Decent" roads everywhere with no cops to worry about pulling you over. 

Ive built several cars from nothing and taken part in so many more. We just get in a drive it and see what needs work. In fact I don't know anyone that builds a car and takes it to a track for testing. USA or Thailand. 

What exactly is concerning you about the car? 

I don't want to go thrashing around a racetrack, I want to drive it away from other traffic until I'm confident that replaced wiring etc is not going to let me down in  the middle of the usual mayhem of Thai roads. Somewhere I don't have to worry about getting under the hood at the side of the road. Easy to static test the engine in the garage but that is not the same as driving.

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I don't want to go thrashing around a racetrack, I want to drive it away from other traffic until I'm confident that replaced wiring etc is not going to let me down in  the middle of the usual mayhem of Thai roads. Somewhere I don't have to worry about getting under the hood at the side of the road. Easy to static test the engine in the garage but that is not the same as driving.

I get it man you don't trust the car. But from what you say its a 40 year old Mercedes. Nobody should trust it.

The thing about playing with cars is that unless you spend the cash and pay an expert to do the R&D or do the research and build yourself its never going to be anything but a toy. 

You main concern is wiring, but testing on the track won't do much. Street driving locally where wifey or friends can come scoop you up is where the testing is done. 

Wiring is a bitch cause its 100% good, until its not. Hot/cold cycles, rain, humidity, time, wear, all play a part in dependability. 

Just drive it on the street for a while locally until you can start to trust the car. Weed out the issues and keep on. 

Your car will not have the wheels fall off or self destruct.  Its fine.  A test drive on open roads is the best kind of test. 

Anyway - Pics of car? Everyone loves pics    :biggrin:

9 minutes ago, Strange said:

I get it man you don't trust the car. But from what you say its a 40 year old Mercedes. Nobody should trust it.

The thing about playing with cars is that unless you spend the cash and pay an expert to do the R&D or do the research and build yourself its never going to be anything but a toy. 

You main concern is wiring, but testing on the track won't do much. Street driving locally where wifey or friends can come scoop you up is where the testing is done. 

Wiring is a bitch cause its 100% good, until its not. Hot/cold cycles, rain, humidity, time, wear, all play a part in dependability. 

Just drive it on the street for a while locally until you can start to trust the car. Weed out the issues and keep on. 

Your car will not have the wheels fall off or self destruct.  Its fine.  A test drive on open roads is the best kind of test. 

Anyway - Pics of car? Everyone loves pics    :biggrin:

?

In fact I dont even trust brand new cars nowadays. Once got 2 miles from the showroom and the car overheated because a relay gave up.