Dr Nick's wake

EL159

I m devasted to hear that good friend and travelling partner Nick Pyatt, former professional musician, noted author of travel books, and one of Chiang Mais most well known characters, with his long red hair, and a friendly conversation with anyone and everyone has recently passed away. I travelled extensively around South East Asia with Nick about ten years ago, having some high old times in Cambodia, Burma and Nepal. Nick could be described as a bit eccentric, but always for me in a good way.

I lost contact with Nick about a year ago and now hear that he went back to UK or USA for treatment for something but tragically never recovered. Most recently Nick was proprietor of "Doctor Nicks Bar" close to Soi 2 Moon Muang, and he genuinely was entitled to use "Doctor".....he had a PHD in Musicology from a UK University.

Any news welcomed about someone I will always remember with great fondness and funny stories.

Nick was a great bloke and a genuine character. He would rather do anyone a favour than a disservice.

He went back to the UK for medical treatment earlier this year but did not divulge to anyone what he was suffering from. He died from, I understand, cancer and spent the last few weeks of his life in palliative care.

Vale Nick.

Edited by Saan

Thank you, Saan for that additional but very sad information. Nick lived his entire life to the full, rock musician, sound engineer, traveller, travel writer, lived in California, played golf with people like Jimmy Page of Led Zep, ( I ve seen the photos!), had a funny story or anecdote to tell about all sorts of stuff, but equally, was a good listener too, so to end your life in palliative care, and probably alone is just impossible for me to come to terms with.

My favourite "Nick" story was when we shared a room at a hotel in Siem Reap ( everywhere was full!) and he pre warned me about his tendency to sleepwalk. At about 4am there was a loud knocking on our door, when I opened it, there was Nick stark naked....he d sleepwalked to the toilet except instead of the toilet door he d taken himself out into the hotel lobby area instead!

I think everyone who knew him would remember him with a smile. He was a very regular customer at The Writers Club, where our other dear friend Bob Tilley sadly also passed away last year.

Rest In Peace, Nick, I will always remember the laugh a minute times we had in Cambodia, Burma, Nepal, and Thailand of course.

I heard the same at the start of the year,he went back to the uk for medical reason.i thought it was about his mother.i knew nick for  many years.a few good times at his bar as well.if he did pass away rest in peace nick.chiangmai has lost another character and will be missed

Very Sad to hear that DR Nick my good friend has passed away. We had many good times. Traveled to Nepal together and enjoyed each others company. Whether it be a few drinks or going on a road trip. never a dull moment. He was a true friend and always had time for my young daughter, whether it was buying her a little present or making her laugh. You'll be dearly missed. RIP my friend.

Very sad news indeed, I met Nick when I first came to CM six years ago and we hit it off immediately as he came from a small village in East Yorkshire only a mile away from where I was from. He was a really great bloke and a for a long time was the only reason I went into to town to chat with him, he will be sadly missed. RIP mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Leanne, none of us who knew Nick have any further information. Nick took himself off back to UK quite a few months ago without revealing to anyone what he was suffering from, which we now understand was lung cancer. Personally, I feel so sad that I dont have "closure" on his passing, no opportunity to say farewell to a very good bloke, all I have is fond memories of travelling with Nick, memories that will stay with me always.

• 3 weeks later...

A wake will be held for Dr Nick on Saturday, November 5 at Jeap's Bar on Soi 1 Moon Muang, starting 3 pm. Jeap's is the very first building on the left as you go down the soi. It has a nice bar and garden at the rear where tall tales and true will be told about our late mate Nick Pyatt. Food is available.

Please click 'like' if you intend coming so catering can be sought out.

What a great idea. I m still struggling to come to terms with my dear old (bonkers!) friend Nicks untimely passing. My travels with Nick are catalogued in two of his books, and re reading them these past couple of weeks has brought all the memories flooding back!

Anyone who needs to know who I am can PM me. Otherwise, see you there on 5th.

Hi everybody. This has come to a massive shock to me . Nick pyatt was my 'dad'. And only just discovering this news is more than heart breaking. If people could be so kind to give me every bit of information they hd on my dad when he came to the uk?? Who he was with (friends) ??? A phone number possibly? 

As a few of you have stated nick was a legend , and very proud to of called him my dad. Where ever we went in life whether it be london , california ,whereever -  the spotlight found him and people were drawn to him with his crazy hair and his outstanding sence of humour . I never got to go to thailand to meet his most recent friends and his bar but by sounds of it you all were amazing people . Im glad he found such an inspiring place to spend his final days . I wish you all the best for the future and i will visit 'dr nicks' my dads bar in the near future. 

Any info on his last days would be massively appreciated. Thanks everyone. 

Jay pyatt . 

I have removed the email and phone number.   They are not allowed on the open forum.  Please use the PM function to contact someone.  

RIP to the deceased and condolences to all his friends and family.  

8 hours ago, Jay pyatt said:

Hi everybody. This has come to a massive shock to me . Nick pyatt was my 'dad'. And only just discovering this news is more than heart breaking. If people could be so kind to give me every bit of information they hd on my dad when he came to the uk?? Who he was with (friends) ??? A phone number possibly? 

As a few of you have stated nick was a legend , and very proud to of called him my dad. Where ever we went in life whether it be london , california ,whereever -  the spotlight found him and people were drawn to him with his crazy hair and his outstanding sence of humour . I never got to go to thailand to meet his most recent friends and his bar but by sounds of it you all were amazing people . Im glad he found such an inspiring place to spend his final days . I wish you all the best for the future and i will visit 'dr nicks' my dads bar in the near future. 

Jay pyatt . 

Hi Jay, As the starter of this thread, and having known Nick, or "your Dad" as we can now call him, for over ten years, even before he opened the bar, I feel some responsibility here. Right now I , and I suspect others here feel like we dont have "closure" regarding Nicks sad departure. For me, every time I go out in Chiang Mai, I m expecting to bump into him, or get a cheery wave from his motor bike as he speeds by me!  Today there is a "wake" for Nick from people who knew Nick here, so if you would like to send me a "private message" on here ( go to my profile, at top right) and leave me a phone number I will call you, I promise you that. I also have some photos of your Dad which I took on our travels and which are both funny and typical of him, I will gladly post these on to you.

• 2 weeks later...

My name Vicky and I know Nick from when he lived in Ca. Jay, remember the last summer you

stayed with your Dad. I have some info. The last couple of emails I got from Nick he was sick.

The last email I got was on 1-3-16, he said he passed out at work, he had a stroke or a seizure.

I got a email from Larry and Patty, you remember them. They said Nick should up

at his mom's in the uk in March. He had TB and had 2 more stroke and was going in treatment.

I hope this helps in someway. 

• 4 months later...
On 4 November 2016 at 4:18 PM, Jay pyatt said:

Jay pyatt . 

Hi JJ

Just saw this, and can't believe what I am reading.

Can you send me a private message

My dad ( Brian ) is going to be devestated

Love

Sarah 

A friend of Nick's, Andy, swears he was called twice by Nick since his apparent demise and that Nick said he was coming back to Chiang Mai soon.

We can only wait and see. His name will be changed to Lazarus if he does turn up.

Hi to all still following this thread.

My name is Jules Faux and I work for Headway East Sussex, a charity working with people who have suffered a brain injury.

I can confirm that "Dr Nick Pyatt" is very much alive and well and currently living with his Mum in Brighton. He suffered from TB and possibly encephalitis last year leaving him with cognitive difficulties, unable to communicate very well verbally, unable to look after himself financially, but able to understand. I met him for the first time last week and managed to glean information leading me to this forum and the surprising news on it.

I will be working with him on a weekly basis and will communicate this information to him as best I can. I will also encourage him to get in touch with JJ, he has your picture up on his wall.

Kind regards,

Jules Faux

PS please relay any communication through this forum until I have passed this information on to him. It might come as a bit of a shock to him to learn of his untimely death!

5 hours ago, Singajules said:

I can confirm that "Dr Nick Pyatt" is very much alive and well and currently living with his Mum in Brighton

ok thanks for the info :)

but who was in the coffin when it went past me outside

wat chang kong then ?

dave2

wat temple for wisakha bucha  day 2015-05-31 11.28.28.jpg