Weird, Annoying Problem...

bkkmick

Hi

I've got a really annoying problem that started on my PC a week or so ago.

Every time I click on a weblink in IE7 I get a message like this:

"Connecting through WAN mini port (PPPOE)" - I click cancel and everything works fine.

I've tried restoring the default IE settings but that didn't correct the problem.'

It doesn't happen when I use FireFox.

I can't remember what happened the moment before I started getting this annoying message.

When I speak to True they always go on about "how many lights are on your router" "tried rebooting your PC" etc.

Any ideas gratefully received.

The last response to my defrag problem was great - I've installed Diskkeeper and it works like a charm.

Mick

Hi Mick

Maybe you have a default connection setup for IE. Open IE go to Tools-Internet Options click on the connections tab and make sure you do not have a check in "Always Dial a Connection". If you do check "never dial a connection".

Good Luck.

Edited by robhudd

Thanks for the reply Rob.

Unfortunately I have the "Never dial a connection" radio button selected.

The whole internet thingy works fine (OE, SQL, VB Connections etc.) are all working fine it's just within IE (don't know if v.7 has anything to do with it)

Mick

Edited by bkkmick

Try going to the Device Manager in Control Panel and deleting the WAN miniport PPPOE. If things are working fine otherwise with the connection this should work. Three things are known to cause this:

- Bad firmware in the modem.

- Incorrect router/firewall, or proxy settings. (most often)

- Spyware dialers trying to dial out (quite rare)

If there's no PPPOE client there you shouldn't have the problem. Sort of a blunt force solution, but effective.

Hi Mick

Maybe you have a default connection setup for IE. Open IE go to Tools-Internet Options click on the connections tab and make sure you do not have a check in "Always Dial a Connection". If you do check "never dial a connection".

Good Luck.

Best piece advice I have for you is this, DITCH IE! Unless you love Bill Gate's browser of choice choice then go for Mozilla Firefox or Opera etc.

IE is a very poor browser to use and some say its slower than the rest.

Decent other browser are only a download away and are free to use and are without flaws like the one your having problems with.

The only reason I keep IE on my hard drive is some programs like to run off it (like Google Earth).

Well, the un/re install process didn't correct the problem.

cdnvic: Thanks, I'll give that a try...(I thought that maybe some autodialer piece of crap was trying to do something dodgy)

JimsKnight: I tried Opera and get the same problem as IE. I just prefer the way the tabs work in IE and I find the FireFox interface a bit 'clunky' but I might have to resort to FF anyway as this error message is becoming a pain in the arse.

I don't know but my Firefox browser stopped responding two days ago. Worked fine up to that time. Just hung. As no operations were available could not even try to fix anything. Removed/replaced/returned to 1.5/back to 2.0/removed registry items. Nothing has worked. IE and Opera will work fine and no other programs are having troubles but did several security updates prior to problem. Have downloaded Maxthon 2 bata and that is working well, much like Firefox. Opera very erratic in download of Thai Visa pages with scroll bar unusable during download.

I would blame Bill for sabotage but have not seen anyone else having problems so guess he will escape this time.

//edit: Found my problem to be the folder in documents and settings is not removed in removal of program.//