50 cc or less motorcycles

Foozool

Interesting question and I do not know the answer :sleep:

But: the question has been discussed more than once in the forum.

One of the thread goes back to 2009:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/237986-50cc-dont-need-book-and-legal/

What I understand from that.

Quite sure and undisputed:

There are such "toy scooters" less than 50 ccm.

I think I have seen such things but really small little "child play" stuff.

I sometime see a boy riding to elementary school down the village road.

They will NOT be registered at the DLT, they will not get a plate.

Some now think that you can ride them without license on public roads.

Obviously double fault.

Neither are you allowed to ride an unregistered motor vehicle on public roads nor are you allowed to ride any motor vehicle without license.

It seems quite similar to the situation with the little "quads" that you sometimes see racing around.

They are not registered, it's not allowed to drive on public roads.

This ridicules the question about driving license.

Have an accident and you are in serious trouble.

12 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

A long time ago Honda built motorcycles with 50 cc but they're still motorcycles and you need a license. 

Please see an older thread: 

I remember them well, red and white with the leg shields, lots of them around......I thought I was a great fella, I got meself a Honda 90. After that I progressed to a BSA....after that a Triumph, then I really thought I was a great fella...they were the bikes the cops had....God, the memories have come flooding back, and here was i thinking that i didn't ride a motorbike till I came to Thailand....mind you, that was 50 years ago when i had those bikes, I was in the Army at the time, and had a hugh drink problem (no wonder I hadn't remembered those days). I ended up "going sick" with broken fingers etc., almost every Monday after getting paid the previous Friday...(from falling off the bikes due to intoxication, there was no such thing as Alcohol limits or breathalyzers in those days.) After leaving the Army I drove a Taxi, Christmas was great, no only for the money but for all the "bottles of stout" the customers invited you into their house for, a cabbie would be "flutered" by the end of his shift.........Myyyyy...how the times they are a changing.   

Yes, you still need a licence to ride a 50cc sewing machine in Thailand.

It's only some European Countries that allow a 50cc to be ridden without a licence.

Riding any size motorcycle in Thailand isn't for the faint hearted.

If your a Tourist ensure you get Travel Insurance that includes accident cover.

Yes you can ride them around in the cities , the police ignore them .  But difficult to find one in good working condition, and they are not cheap really , I have seen 2nd hand sold for 15000 baht . 

Years ago this 50 cc contraptions were imported from Japan 2nd hand. Most had over 50000 km's on the clock. Max speed was 50 km/hr. I did own one and I did not have to have a motorcycle license for this. Also no tax to pay. It was not allowed to use them on the freeways or other large roads as, for example, Sukhumvit, in de sois was OK. Also the Thais did modify them and some of them could go as fast as 80 km/hr. As this is Thailand, users did anyway what they saw fit and used them anywhere. Lots of accidents. As a result the Thai Government banned the import of them. It is also illegal to own, buy or sale one. 

You can get one of these, pretty cool hey, almost as cool as my Duc M821 plus you get a little basket, now you don't NEED a license in Thailand, my mate rides around and if he gets picked up just pays the cop the 500 baht "fine", however any accident won't be covered by your insurance so if you do have an accident say you were hit by the bike and the owner ran away.

IMG_0906.JPG

Edited by Wazza1

The facts about riding a 50cc motorcycle is, that if you older than 18-years, you need a drivers license for any vehicle that is powered by an engine. Anybody in Thailand, younger than 18-years, can ride a scooter with maximum 115cc without a license.

For the average 50cc scooter, they cannot be registered in Thailand as they cannot meet the rules of road safety, which has a maximum speed and stopping capabilities that are far out of reach for a 50cc scooter...

Edited by Richard-BKK

10 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

. Anybody in Thailand, younger than 18-years, can ride a scooter with maximum 115cc without a license.

That's interesting.

Can you provide a link to that source of information?

According to my DLT centre anyone under the age of 15 cannot legally ride a motorcycle or be issued a licence.

At 15 they can legally ride a motorcycle up to 110cc and be issued a temporary licence reflecting that restriction.

You must be 18 to legally ride a motorcycle over 110cc and be issued a full licence.

Edited by Faz

3 hours ago, Faz said:

That's interesting.

Can you provide a link to that source of information?

According to my DLT centre anyone under the age of 15 cannot legally ride a motorcycle or be issued a licence.

At 15 they can legally ride a motorcycle up to 110cc and be issued a temporary licence reflecting that restriction.

You must be 18 to legally ride a motorcycle over 110cc and be issued a full licence.

It can be 110cc, but I could remember that they talked about changing it to 115cc - as not enough manufacturers still made 110cc scooters. What I know is that over 18-year old you need a drivers license for any motorist vehicle even an 110cc scooter. I didn't know about the minimum age of 15, but it make sense....

So many young school children ride motorcycles here, in many cases with parents knowledge and consent.

The Police turn a blind eye but it is illegal.

The proverbial sh** only hits the fan when their involved in an accident.

3 killed  this year alone in the class of my g/f son. They were all aged 14.