Drawing attention to yourself - backpackers arrested for ganja party at "Overstay"

rooster59

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

That is the dumbest suggesting I have ever heard, you really think flogging people will stop drug taking?

You really need to join the real world 

Suggesting that I'm dumb, well I won't respond "in kind."  However in our PC sissified world I think floggings are worth a try.  Nothing else has worked.  Like I said I'd take the beating over court any day.  I think you'd be surprised how many would opt "for the cane" rather than enter "The Halls of Justice."

Marijuana is nowhere near as life-ruining as alcohol, that legal high so many use.

At least the police are facing the reality that many of their officers are alcoholic and are trying to do something about it.

I met with a deputy commander responsible for 7 provinces recently and there is a plan of action being implemented.

Thailand is changing. When I moved here in the 80's, I'd have laughed at this idea.

4 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

That's why I only smoke weed with Thais! 

Police don't care about recreational ganja use.

500 baht is usually enough to stop it going to court.

Foreigners class it along with hard drugs, thinking it is a hangable offence as they do with gambling, which also is a minor offence.

Don't believe all you read in guide books or web sites about Thailand.

16 minutes ago, joeyg said:

On Koh Pha Ngan you get get Magic Mushroom shakes and pizzas, openly, today.  Had a GF who used to sell pot to kids there years ago.  I asked her why wasn't she worried about the poilce.  She laughed and said she got her pot from the police.

Go figure...

Your idea about public floggings is an Interesting rationalization for someone trying to be a "good Buddhist" .:tongue:  

I'm not steeped in the drug trade here but the mind races with scenarios, like a squad of paramilitary Thai Border Police on patrol out in the bush being a law unto themselves.  It would be tempting to catch a smuggler, kick him back over the border (or face down in a shallow jungle grave) and sell the load on wholesale to like-minded BiB in the city.  Nice little earner there, tax free.  For the city cops, easy money with a small amount of risk vs. standing in the burning sun fleecing motorists for chump change.  Hmmm.

27 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Providing travellers are logging into this forum.

Gotta give TVF credit, when I Google anything to do with Thailand, they get up real high on the results.  Even if tourists aren't logging on, this thread may turn up if they do a Google search.

22 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Foreigners class it along with hard drugs, thinking it is a hangable offence as they do with gambling, which also is a minor offence.

Really? Years ago on  Samui a guy on the beach offered me "Ganja LSD Cocaine, Ecstasy". Walked away thinking why would an apparently penniless tramp have so much on him?

Later found out he works with the police and it's a 40,000 baht to make problem go away. 

33 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Suggesting that I'm dumb, well I won't respond "in kind."  However in our PC sissified world I think floggings are worth a try.  Nothing else has worked.  Like I said I'd take the beating over court any day.  I think you'd be surprised how many would opt "for the cane" rather than enter "The Halls of Justice."

I am making a wild guess here that you have never seen the end result of strokes of the cane.

Do yourself a favour and try to find it on you tube.

It leaves a lot more than red lines on your skin.

To joeyG. Because quotes from my phone don't always appear where I want them

1 minute ago, Dipterocarp said:

Really? Years ago on  Samui a guy on the beach offered me "Ganja LSD Cocaine, Ecstasy". Walked away thinking why would an apparently penniless tramp have so much on him?

Later found out he works with the police and it's a 40,000 baht to make problem go away. 

Only a naive tourist would pay this. This is not the norm in the real Thailand.

I wouldn't know but while you are in irons facing drug charges in Thailand how do you negotiate if you don't have any influential Thais to call? 

I have smelled weed in Guesthouses, heard people talk about it, etc.  and that is when I turn 180 degrees and leave the situation. Even had a some random guy I met in front of a Mini-mart last year offer to "smoke me out". First thing I think he's probably a scammer. Anyway if I wanted to smoke weed I'd could go to California and get some of the worlds best and partake legally.

Edited by Dipterocarp

On 29/10/2016 at 0:35 PM, rkidlad said:

A few years in jail is what's needed here. I remember sitting next to some guys smoking weed and it was terrifying. They were just sat there not saying much. Then they started laughing for no reason. To make things worse they ordered loads of food and ate it all. 

Luckily they just left and went home. I was very lucky. I could have been killed by these gateway addicts. 

I do not recollect if I ever encountered a situation like that.

15 hours ago, Puyai said:

Your right he was a complete knob.

We had a little falling out.

Couldn't of happened to a nicer fellow.

I went in there 7-8 years ago. Still owe him for a beer. Might go to Klong Prem to pay him a visit to settle my debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

He has way worse things to worry about now than your beer debt. lol

I really do sympathize with people who get busted for only weed, as smoking it does't hurt anyone and never causes aggression like alcohol. If anything, it brings people together.

Many of you can go on saying "the law is the law rararara.." "It's not your country.." whatever. I get that. This guy was clearly a total d*ck to many of his customers, and a stupid one..

Why would you keep a whole ounce and whey scales in your room/hostel if you don't want to be accused of selling. Would he have gotten off lighter if he just kept a few g's? He claims it was medication for his illness. Whatever.. You run a hostel, be an arrogant a**hole, have all night dirty rave parties, hire foreigners to work the bar illegally and expect nothing to happen? Police have been raiding these places for years. What was he thinking?

Edited by johnny Cage

If this was the case, marijuana would be openly consumed everywhere.

From experience I know the negotiation for the 'fine' starts at 100,000. Most agree on 30,000.

If you are a tourist, police have all the leverage as going through court takes 3+ months and your passport is held.

If you live here, they have all the leverage because you can be deported and blacklisted.

Without question, failing a drug test even if no marijuana was consumed in Thailand, is significantly more serious than a drunk driving conviction.

On 10/29/2016 at 6:35 AM, rkidlad said:

A few years in jail is what's needed here. I remember sitting next to some guys smoking weed and it was terrifying. They were just sat there not saying much. Then they started laughing for no reason. To make things worse they ordered loads of food and ate it all. 

Luckily they just left and went home. I was very lucky. I could have been killed by these gateway addicts. 

I hear you, I would not like to be near anybody using drugs in Thailand either.

There is a bit of backpacker in most of us or there was...but as others have mentioned..they are often very poor at being discrete.  The "funny hair" and "impolite dress" the Thais don't like that.  And yes, if you are neat and clean in appearance you are a lot more likely to get away with stuff like that.  Never ever do stuff in their face, it's generally a big payday opportunity for them.  If people only did it in their own homes (ventilated) they would be a lot better off.  I've hear stories of the neighbors reporting the smell of smoke to the cops, and the guy had to give each cop 5000, but they let him keep his stash, and told him he wouldn't have anymore trouble.  Also heard of backpackers getting nailed for smoking very late at night in that little part of Cm that is like KSR, and their was a lawyer waiting for them at the station...65,000..and they still had to face the judge.  Others have said just let it play out and go to court and get a small fine...mixed signals.  I got caught walking out of a bar in Mexico with a working girl and they found "mota" in her purse, after they stopped us.  Put us in the truck, drove a few blocks..told me I had to pay 50 us..but they took 500 Pesos...and dropped us off at my hotel.  Case closed.  I can almost guarantee you that the State that many refer to as the gun toting right  wing birther Bible thumping nutjob blue hair senior home will legalize it next week (Arizona).  The momentum is building.  I've held Philip Morris stock for decades and I think you are out of touch if you think they aren't ready to grow/package/market/sell packs of cotton tails.

On 10/29/2016 at 0:07 PM, JAG said:

They must have been on a special course - nobody could surely be stupid enought to have a pot smoking party, in a guesthouse called "Overstay", in Bangkok in the current climate?

Oh yes they could! they are brain dead idiots who think they can go over seas and do anything they want.

5 hours ago, joeyg said:

PC sissified world? What are you blabbing about?

Drug abuse is a medical problem, not a criminal,. So yeah, your idea is dumb. People get locked up for years at the moment for the smallest of drugs, they get their lives ruined - and every study is saying what a waste of time, money and resources being tough on drugs is. And guess what, it doesn't work, But I guess just being a neanderthal and saying 'you bad, me hit you'  makes sense to the feeble minded 

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, Gainsbourg said:

True. And funnily the obligatory advert below this op showed an old unnaturally muscled man with young babe in his arms. Your typical tvf poster i reckon. 555

The advertisement appearing on my page, under the OP, is for Santiburi, Samui 5 Star Experience . . . what websites have you been visiting for such advertisements to appear on your pages?

Considering that the Overstay had been blatantly  flouting laws over   a few years without any authorities involved , it may be possible that the local authorities turned a blind eye .

This raid involved soldiers, so, maybe someone made a complain the someone higher up than the local authorityities 

It wouldnt be surprising if the Overstay didnt have all the correct licences and the owner will very probably be going to jail soon, so its quite likely that the Overstay will close down soon IMO

On 10/29/2016 at 4:46 PM, hohososo said:

Wrong.

If this proceeds through the courts which is likely due to the media coverage, their passports will be seized and 3 or 4 court appearances over the next 3 months will be required.

Police, military did the raid.. lots of people involved since they were booked at police station.

$5000 US would be my guess as to the costs for each person to fix this problem.

Not at all. They are first time offenders. Fine will not be more then 5000 Baht each but the dealer with the 20 grams might get 6 months bail to reach court and start already with installment payments.

10 hours ago, overherebc said:

I am making a wild guess here that you have never seen the end result of strokes of the cane.

Do yourself a favour and try to find it on you tube.

It leaves a lot more than red lines on your skin.

To joeyG. Because quotes from my phone don't always appear where I want them

I've seen then first hand.

8 hours ago, Stray said:

The advertisement appearing on my page, under the OP, is for Santiburi, Samui 5 Star Experience . . . what websites have you been visiting for such advertisements to appear on your pages?

Now the advert is about choco. I dont visit any old men's sites. Im still young man ?

On 10/29/2016 at 3:42 PM, YeahSiam said:

A lot of self-righteous claptrap being trotted out here.

Smoking a bit of puff doesn't make you a drug addict any more than having a pint makes you an alcoholic.

Out-of-touch old men flapping their mouths as usual.

Alcoholics have a "continuous drinking" problem not a one off or how much at a time.

Maybe drug addicts have the same problem? Not how much nor a one off but perhaps "continuous" smoking makes them an addict?

Who maybe "out of touch now"?