Drawing attention to yourself - backpackers arrested for ganja party at "Overstay"

rooster59

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

Ain't gonna happen.  I took the oath in the '80s and don't even drink, much less toke.  But I'm not evangelical about it.

I guess you can't see the double standard when the illegal vices that fit my lifestyle are okay, and the illegal vices I don't agree with aren't okay.

It's not hard for me to see how that could confuse travelers new to Thailand- which laws it's okay to violate and which ones you can't.  So I have some compassion for them.  Regardless of how ill advised their actions may have been, they weren't malicious.

Of course I understand your point.  However it is what it is.  We used to swim in "swimin' holes" when we were kids.  Even then we were smart enough to check how deep it was or if there were any rocks before diving in. "Can't do the time don't do the crime."

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

It's quite simple really and shouldn't take much more than a room temp IQ or missionary position imagination to work it out.
Right or wrong doesn't come into it......, It's their country..., they make the rules...., visitors obey the rules or pay a penalty for getting caught !  Regardless of age...., they couldn't wait till they got home ?

You said it man!!!

It must have been really easy to find the gangsters. They should tell them that smoking isn't allowed and let it be.

One weekend at the emergency room of a  hospital would be enough. 

Thai kids might pay a 200 baht fine for smoking a jolly. 

The headline is really irritating. I don't think that it was a ganja party, just a normal day for younger guys on holiday. 

Free Space Cake & Overstay.png

Singapore has a one year and three years detox programme fully paid by their taxpayers, free for even foreigners.

Those interested need only get into the country and test positive in their urine.

They call it 'drug rehabilitation detention centre'. Free food and lodging...

Just now, Strange said:

But conveniently they are following the steps of several countries failed attempts at murderous "war on drugs" like somehow they will be different. 

A common treatment for cancer - Chemotherapy!

Kills both cancerous cells, and surrounding non-cancerous ones too.

1 hour ago, orange31 said:

What if they smoked pot abroad, then just recently came to Thailand with pot still in their system? Surely they wouldn't have broken any Thai laws?

Google along the lines of "strict drug laws Thailand". 

There are comments by Thai legal defence types indicating you can and should, refuse these warrant-less urine tests.   If you capitulate, a positive drug test can be defended in court with the "other country use" grounds - obviously you have to have the stamps in your passport to back it up, and will involve a full ride through the Thai "legal" system. 

The rainbow coalition in this particular event were well screwed by the optics and totality of the circumstances they were found in, and the (alleged) reason the cops were called there in the first place. 

Articles I read indicate the police seem to like the nice round figure of 80,000 Baht but for a simple "use" charge based only on a presumptive positive urine test, with patient, polite negotiation, you can purchase your freedom for around 2~3,000 Baht.

43 minutes ago, joeyg said:

You said it man!!!

But what exactly ARE the rules? Normally countries will stipulate what constitutes possession. Does Thai law stipulate that a positive result from a urine test is punishable?

I guess the cost of legal representation will be more than the BIB fine, so perhaps we'll never know

13 minutes ago, orange31 said:

But what exactly ARE the rules? Normally countries will stipulate what constitutes possession. Does Thai law stipulate that a positive result from a urine test is punishable?

I guess the cost of legal representation will be more than the BIB fine, so perhaps we'll never know

Laws are laws.  What happens on the street unfold according to time and circumstance.  I draw a pretty hard line on drugs.  Perhaps I'm biased by the experience of the destruction they have caused in my own family and on many others around them, to this day.

Also I worked in HIV/Infectious disease treatment and research for years.  The expense due to complications and consequences of drug abuse is staggering.  Actually more so with Hepatitis C than HIV.  It's only recently coming to light.

No offense but I "stick to my guns" on this one.  A good beating/caning, or two for repeat offenders, might save a lot of lives and money in the long run.

Bottom line.  When in Thailand DON'T MESS WITH DRUGS!

10 minutes ago, trogers said:
16 minutes ago, Strange said:

So its ok? Its ok to cleanse human beings that are mostly a product of the society they come from? 

Short of having God's all-knowing ability, what would you recommend to correct the problem?

Honest answer, and I'm no nancy-boy either, anything is better than just killing everyone. 

I can not recommend anything other than that. 

11 minutes ago, trogers said:

Short of having God's all-knowing ability, what would you recommend to correct the problem?

What problem? People take drugs, will always take drugs and yo are never going to stop it.

If people want to get high, then that is their business, no one else's.

The war on drugs has killed more people and ruined more lives than drug will ever do.

Education is the key, but that involves giving people empowerment and choice - we can't be having that, can we...

9 minutes ago, orange31 said:

http://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/criminal-defence-drug-offences-in-thailand.php

Within the link article, Narcotics Act 2522 (1979) and the Psychotropic Substances Act 2518 (1975). Consumption of a controlled substance, including weed (Category V), is a punishable offense.  The lowest tier is 1 month in jail and 2,000 Baht fine.

5 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Laws are laws.  What happens on the street unfold according to time and circumstance.  I draw a pretty hard line on drugs.  Perhaps I'm biased by the experience of the destruction they have caused in my own family but on many others around them.

Also I worked in HIV/Infectious disease treatment and research for years.  The expense do to complications and consequences of drug abuse is staggering.  Actually more so with Hepatitis C than HIV.  It's only recently coming to light.

No offense but I "stick to my guns" on this one.  A good beating/caning, or two for repeat offenders, might save a lot of lives and money in the long run.

Bottom line.  When in Thailand DON'T MESS WITH DRUGS!

A good beating/caning, or two for repeat offenders, might save a lot of lives and money in the long run.

Do you honestly think that a good beating will solve drug addiction? 

3 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

What problem? People take drugs, will always take drugs and yo are never going to stop it.

If people want to get high, then that is their business, no one else's.

The war on drugs has killed more people and ruined more lives than drug will ever do.

Education is the key, but that involves giving people empowerment and choice - we can't be having that, can we...

Have to agree to disagree on this one "

If people want to get high, then that is their business, no one else's."

As I said earlier the devastating impact of drug abuse I have seen personally in clinic and in society on families, community and the health care system etc. etc. does not warrant a "free pass."

5 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Have to agree to disagree on this one "

If people want to get high, then that is their business, no one else's."

As I said earlier the devastating impact of drug abuse I have seen personally in clinic and in society on families, community and the health care system etc. etc. does not warrant a "free pass."

and the war on drugs stopped it, how? 

1 minute ago, PremiumLane said:

and the war on drugs stopped it, how? 

No the war on drugs is a scam and a failure.  I'm suggesting some public, non life threatening corporal punishment for violators.  It's worth a try.

12 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Alcohol has killed more people and destroyed more lives and families than all the other drugs combined.  Yet prohibition was proven to be a bad idea, and the current drug laws have been no more effective, or any less damaging to society.

9 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Han't this thread gone way off beam, it's about people caught smoking ganja in a funnily named guest house not the morality and legality of drug use etc. ?

Not if you look at it in the bigger context of what's illegal but generally tolerated, and what's illegal and will get you in big trouble when traveling in Thailand.

Just now, impulse said:

Not if you look at it in the bigger context of what's illegal but generally tolerated, and what's illegal and will get you in big trouble when traveling in Thailand.

This isn't a normal time in Thailand and that will easily override tolerance of many things.

xircal

I think your post covers about 99% of all places that sell beer,massages,sleeping accommodation,etc. Especially in Patts. But me,being a true believer in human nature,think this is all lies manufactured by the no good felangs.And i cant imagine where you would have heard such filth.:shock1:

1 minute ago, NongKhaiKid said:

This isn't a normal time in Thailand and that will easily override tolerance of many things.

On Koh Pha Ngan you get get Magic Mushroom shakes and pizzas, openly, today.  Had a GF who used to sell pot to kids there years ago.  I asked her why wasn't she worried about the poilce.  She laughed and said she got her pot from the police.

Go figure...

1 minute ago, NongKhaiKid said:

If that's the case, it's even more appropriate (and humane) to get the word out to travelers who may not realize what they're risking when they just do what their friends did last year when they had a kick-ass trip to Thailand.  But that requires opening up the discussion a little wider than the specifics in the OP.

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

If that's the case, it's even more appropriate (and humane) to get the word out to travelers who may not realize what they're risking when they just do what their friends did last year when they had a kick-ass trip to Thailand.  But that requires opening up the discussion a little wider than the specifics in the OP.

Providing travellers are logging into this forum.

10 minutes ago, joeyg said:

On Koh Pha Ngan you get get Magic Mushroom shakes and pizzas, openly, today.  Had a GF who used to sell pot to kids there years ago.  I asked her why wasn't she worried about the poilce.  She laughed and said she got her pot from the police.

Go figure...

Oh dear you really have surprised, nay shocked, me !     :biggrin:

30 minutes ago, joeyg said:

No the war on drugs is a scam and a failure.  I'm suggesting some public, non life threatening corporal punishment for violators.  It's worth a try.

That is the dumbest suggesting I have ever heard, you really think flogging people will stop drug taking?

You really need to join the real world 

42 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

http://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/criminal-defence-drug-offences-in-thailand.php

Within the link article, Narcotics Act 2522 (1979) and the Psychotropic Substances Act 2518 (1975). Consumption of a controlled substance, including weed (Category V), is a punishable offense.  The lowest tier is 1 month in jail and 2,000 Baht fine.

Thanks. So consumption is an offence, not just possession. I guess if you have a recent passport stamp to Amsterdam or US State where weed is legal you might have an arguement, otherwise it's gonna cost you

12 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I'm not doubting at all that it's true and accurate.  And if a young tourist came to Thailand after reading 20 or 30 posts like that, it's understandable to me how they may end up in trouble thinking it's that way all over.  They're not stupid.  Just misinformed, perhaps with selective blinders.  Happens to a lot of us.

Archived