Excesses at Thai festivals – time to rein in Songkran, in honor of the Royal Father

Inspire

Excesses at Thai festivals – time to rein in Songkran, in honor of the Royal Father

loy.jpg

One of my earliest memories in Thailand was in the mid-eighties being asked by some Thai friends if I wanted to go to the grounds of Chulalongkorn University to experience the Loy Krathong festival.

Of course I jumped at the chance as I had heard about this charming festival that looked so beautiful and calm on the full moon night under the stars– it would surely be a wonderful opportunity to enjoy Thai culture up close and personal. Full of anticipated joy I set off into the Bangkok night.

But I was lucky I didn’t get an eye put out.

Myself and my friends found ourselves caught in the crossfire between two rival groups of students who thought it was fun to be aiming firework rockets at each other.

I was hit in the stomach and the gunpowder that spilled from the as yet unexhausted projectile burnt a neat hole in my shirt and my skin underneath.

I vowed not to go out on this occasion again; while I did not keep to that promise I did make every effort later in my life in Thailand to promote the festival according to the values that I thought it had started to lose by 1985.

I was not alone in the 1980s. Many Thais were already saying that the festival had become outrageous. At the time it probably had a worse name than Songkran though that was soon to change.

Newspapers were full of reports of hooligan like behaviour at Loy Krathong as commentators bemoaned the loss of “the good old days” of gentility and respect that the festival was known for.

The Bangkok Authorities did act however. The festival was banned in all city parks as much because of the drunken revelry as the huge amount of mess that was created in the lakes and klongs. Focus shifted to the Chao Praya river – at least all the garbage would flow away with the traditional flowery boats and the troubles of their erstwhile owners who floated them.

It was more than ten years before I ventured out again on a full moon night in November – and enjoyed a night at Bangkok Patana School where I was working as a Thai teacher. In 1998 when I took on the job of Head of Thai at Harrow International School I decided that my department’s big day of the year would celebrate Thai culture on Loy Krathong day.

Most of the school shut down for the full moon day usually in November as we showcased not just Loy Krathong activities but many wonderful aspects of Thai culture and tradition. The children – both Thai and foreign – made Krathongs in their classes to the sound of Thai music, enjoyed Thai food made by willing parents, went to shows where they saw their peers sing and dance and perform. Even outside acts were hired to inspire them.

No fireworks. Nothing nasty. All on my terms – an Englishman in Bangkok who wanted the festival back as it should be. I was allowed to do what I wanted. I did, after all know best (he says modestly!).

We organized this up until my retirement from the school in 2013. In 2006 before a cultural show in front of 500 children and parents that I had scripted and choreographed, I got everyone going by making a video shown on a giant screen of me pretending to have forgotten about the show and be late.

When the video ended I burst into the auditorium on my 400cc Honda Steed, did a circuit and to roars of approval ended up on the stage to begin compering the show.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/excesses-thai-festivals-time-rein-songkran-honor-royal-father/

All these so called Festivals are these days just an excuse to get totally drunk and behave .... as  Drunks do!

I particularly home in on Song Gran and like many I either stay indoors of get out of Thailand during that

mayhem and ROAD SLAUGHTER!

Of course as we know Thailand is in mourning for a year so I imagine ALL that Water nonsense will be banned along with Kratong and Fireworks etc.

Great idea.  Songkran used to be a charming tradition, but has evolved into an excuse for assault.  It's particularly embarrassing that weak-minded westerners show up and exploit it for their own perverted gratification.  This next  time around they may just get it handed to them...

Edited by hawker9000

5 hours ago, English 1 said:

All these so called Festivals are these days just an excuse to get totally drunk and behave .... as  Drunks do!

I particularly home in on Song Gran and like many I either stay indoors of get out of Thailand during that

mayhem and ROAD SLAUGHTER!

Of course as we know Thailand is in mourning for a year so I imagine ALL that Water nonsense will be banned along with Kratong and Fireworks etc.

Song Gran    is this the senior citizens  bash  ???:smile: 

Return Songkran to the way it was.

This country does not need people too drunk to stand, driving around with loud music  wasting a precious commodity in the middle of summer

At my house we just stay inside and hope the noise abates quickly, the inlaws  do the same

There are lots of other celebrations- what will happen to them if music and fireworks are banned? Bun Bang Fai comes to mind as does the 9 God's festival in Phuket. I too leave Thailand During Songkran but I attend as many of the others as possible. The upcoming year is looking a tad dull.

We happened to be traveling last year at Songkran.....

We spent the night in Kamphaeng Phet & it was great....Nicely spirited water & chalk celebration....No staggering farang drunks blasting with iced water.....Everybody having a good spirited time....Big water slides into the river & people were smiling, relaxed, and happy....Didn't have to knock drunks like flies away from my 15 year old daughter & she didn't feel defensive.....She was noticed by guys her age and it was more comfortable for her....

Fireworks after dark to enjoy.....Lot's of loud music...

Much nicer than the drunken mass mess CM experiences.....

The traditional ways would be much nicer restored....

We will probably celebrate there for a few days now......It had a good vibe.....

I don't think they can stop the water throwing throughout Thailand. They could tone down the official parades but when you think that nearly everybody goes back to their village in the worst of the heat, they're drunk  too and the kids have got water guns. Inevitably water throwing will occur imo.

46 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

because it is a ton of fun. i think my 5 year old son has just as much fun as i do. just because you dont like it dont begrudge our fun. you chooses to live here so accept it. is a boost for the economy as well.

But those of us who have grown out of water fights, have to either participate or stay at home .

Maybe one afternoon of water fights would be a laugh, but the joke soon wears thin after four days .

Don't want to hijack the tread and change subject, but since we talk about festivals or celebrations.....

I noticed many outlets in the Kingdom have advertised about their upcoming big Halloween celebration/party tomorrow.

In the light of the recent very sad news, this is within the rules?????

It is the problem with Thai Buddhism, or may be Buddhism as a whole.

The religion requires them not to show their emotions, so at one point they break loose, and can't control themselves anymore.

This is not only reflected in their behaviour when celebrating, but also on the road and in the murder rates.

because it is a ton of fun. i think my 5 year old son has just as much fun as i do. just because you dont like it dont begrudge our fun. you chooses to live here so accept it. is a boost for the economy as well.

I don't begrudge it, and it's great you and your boy have a great time but the loss of life accross thailand is not acceptable.. Except maybe for you. How much water can you squirt and not get brain dead bored, even for a 5 year old. 2days is perfect and probably cut the road toll in half

And how does drinking beer and squirting water boost the economy? The amount of criticaly injured in hospitals would be a huge drain on the economy if anything

3 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

We happened to be traveling last year at Songkran.....

We spent the night in Kamphaeng Phet & it was great....Nicely spirited water & chalk celebration....No staggering farang drunks blasting with iced water.....Everybody having a good spirited time....Big water slides into the river & people were smiling, relaxed, and happy....Didn't have to knock drunks like flies away from my 15 year old daughter & she didn't feel defensive.....She was noticed by guys her age and it was more comfortable for her....

Fireworks after dark to enjoy.....Lot's of loud music...

Much nicer than the drunken mass mess CM experiences.....

The traditional ways would be much nicer restored....

We will probably celebrate there for a few days now......It had a good vibe.....

My friend was also there, as an alternative to Pattaya.  He liked it too.

Until it turned a bit nasty:

Gun battle at Songkran celebration in the north - residents flee ...

www.thaivisa.com › Forum Home › Thailand Local Forums › Central Thailand Forum

15 Apr 2016 - Gun battle at Songkran celebration in the north - residents flee in terror. Image: Thairath KAMPHAENGPHET: Residents in downtown ...

4 hours ago, Anthony5 said:
4 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

It is the problem with Thai Buddhism, or may be Buddhism as a whole.

The religion requires them not to show their emotions, so at one point they break loose, and can't control themselves anymore.

This is not only reflected in their behaviour when celebrating, but also on the road and in the murder rates.

Buddhism is not a religion for a start. Thais show a lot of emotions in every day life. to suggest they suddenly break and can not control themselves is laughable Thais have more self control than most other countries I have visited.

12 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Cracking so apt grumpy old Farangs uses sad passing of father King to try and push there own agenda on Thais. Absolute  classic luckily enough there voices will not be heard. 

Go ahead, junior, and try your violence this next time around, and see who comes up in need of a hearing test...   Now THAT will be entertainment! 

I wonder how many Thais actually like Songkran ?

If I were to walk around tomorrow, throwing buckets of ice cold or dirty water over people , I wonder what the reaction would be . Would everyone start laughing ?

I would quite probably end up arguing, fighting with people and then get arrested , thrown into jail and probably a mental hospital .

Why is it acceptable on some days and not others ?

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

What are you on about. to many chang

'Seems you're actually the one having trouble focusing.  Yeah, the attention span is the first thing to go.   No wonder the dysfunctional attitude toward Songkran.  Yours has apparently already started!

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

I wonder how many Thais actually like Songkran ?

If I were to walk around tomorrow, throwing buckets of ice cold or dirty water over people , I wonder what the reaction would be . Would everyone start laughing ?

I would quite probably end up arguing, fighting with people and then get arrested , thrown into jail and probably a mental hospital .

Why is it acceptable on some days and not others ?

Because it's the hottest time of the year! Why do you think Christmas day is celebrated on Dec 25th? Because it's Santa' Claus' s birthday. 555

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

'Seems you're actually the one having trouble focusing.  Yeah, the attention span is the first thing to go.   No wonder the dysfunctional attitude toward Songkran.  Yours has apparently already started!

Several to many chang I would get yourself to bed now old man. and when you wake up sober please explain what is my dysfunctional attitude towards Songkran? !!!!! I remindyou of my post where does it mention Songkran or any festival!!!! 

Cracking so apt grumpy old Farangs uses sad passing of father King to try and push there own agenda on Thais. Absolute  classic luckily enough there voices will not be heard.