Kasikorn (KBANK) SMS OTP trouble

Hello folks,

I've been using K-Cyber Banking for years to manage my account, including when I am abroad just like now.

It has had some outings, but never for that long. I've been unable to use the SMS one-time-password (OTP) system to authenticate my transactions for over two straight days now. KBANK online client service chat claims that the service works as usual and plays their usual troubleshooting script to me (have you checked SMS mailbox full? etc.). I can receive SMS from other sources on my DTAC number in roaming mode here so everything works OK.

Would anyone else using this service confirm or deny that it works for you?

Another hint that there's something wrong is the missing five-letter reference code usually displayed in the box where I am supposed to type the received password:

kbank-otp.jpg

And yes of course I've tried another browser/another computer.

Feedback much appreciated.

Have a nice day

OK guys, thanks for the replies, appreciated.

I ended up calling 02-88888888 (fortunately I can call fixed lines abroad for free from my ADSL box IP phone) and they told me that this service had been "locked" on my account, for unclear reasons. Maybe because I've tried too many times yesterday (but I wasn't receiving the SMSes so...).

So basically some hiccup at KBANK or DTAC over the week-end and me trying too many times.

One would wish for a more explicit message coming up like "This service has been suspended on your account, please contact blah blah blah" instead of this empty box, but well,  asking for too much I guess.

Maybe this post will come useful for someone else having the same problem. Basically:

- call them (online chat is 100% useless)

- have your ATM/debit/credit card at hand (yes, they're asking for its number the phone... I was concerned too)

- have your account number at hand

- have the mobile phone # registered to your account at hand

@tutsiwarrior:yep, I did. Sorry for the time and electrons wasted. However as written above I suspect that this post might come useful if someone hits the same problem, because the least that can be said is that the root cause (OTP-SMS facility suspended from account) isn't obvious based on what happens :smile:

Congrats to your wife, a nice shopping week ahead :tongue:

K bank also have a service.  they call "PIN2" for people who are overseas a lot and can't get a OTP by phone. It is a different  second PIN which PERMANENT and  recorded by them.  you input it to the screen in a box, same as the OTP. Used it for  13+ years without a problem. 

@biggles45: I know about PIN2, thanks, but my KBANK branch just strongly discouraged me from using it a year or so ago, telling me that it was going to be phased out anyway. Maybe a lie. Doesn't seem that secure to me, by the way. I've tried learning about their new QR code authentication but it seems like a mess. I can't even find the K-Secure app on Google's Play Store to start with. Maybe because I'm abroad. Switching auth. schemes would require a visit to my branch which won't happen until a few months when I'm back to LOS, in any case. If it's workable from abroad, I shall probably go for the QR code auth., which seems more secure.

@thurien : correct.

Lannig:  Yes, I am in the UK at the moment and can confirm that the system was playing up a lot yesterday whereas I usually have no difficulty with the OTP's.  I tried to do two transfers around the same time as you and had to give up as I wasn't receiving the confirmation SMS.

Later on in the day the transfers worked, but I didn't receive the usual email promptly and the recipient didn't get an SMS confirming the transaction for quite a while.  The system seemed to sort itself out in the end and then I was able to send an SMS containing BAL nnnn to 4288888 to get the SMS giving my current balance from Kasikorn.

It seems the "Mai pen rai" approach is best and just to try again later when anything fails.

Archived