Duck for your life: Thais plea for officials to fix exposed cables on their overpass

webfact

18 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"This instance, however, is tougher to joke about as people in Samut Songkhram have had to duck under the wires to avoid possible electrocution."

The cables appear to be insulated otherwise anyone touching those handrails would be electrocuted. It is not unbelievable to see this as some of the typical shoddy wiring practices carried out in this country have been shown on TVF may times in the past. The local authorities responsible for this pedestrian overpass should be hauled up on charges for allowing the electrical contractors / PEA to leave cables in such a manner.

better still haul them onto the cables and take off the sheathing.....................the  whole country stinks  when it comes down to any maintenance unless it has shiny Buddha  effigies  on it or  HRH in front of  it....................PATHETIC!! LAZY, SELFISH you name it the cap fits

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 31/10/2016 at 9:39 PM, Jonmarleesco said:

Those damned things are everywhere. There are no overpasses/pedestrian walkways in Thonglor, as the BMA decided spending the money on pretty, but useless, street lights was more important, so the offending cables are at foot and face level, giving you the option of tripping over them or being strangled.

The last time I heard Thailand is going to have all those wires go underground. No more wires posts on the road sides. May be they working that out how much it will cost, it will cost a lot of money. Possible to do it with proper planning provided if some people don't steal money before they start it , know what i mean?

On 01/11/2016 at 0:39 AM, FredNL said:

Just get an axe and cut those wires. Problem solved !!!

17 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Qualified electricians are every where, their planning,

and experience are so evident. One of many many examples of

shoddy work practices, loss of face ?

loss of your marbles if you think that is acceptable,

such a complex problem measuring from point A to B 

pea approved electrician did some wiring at my  house.....first and last time, note the wiring colours.....I  ripped the lot out chucked him and  re did it  all myself

P1090292-web.jpg

3.jpg

19 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"This instance, however, is tougher to joke about as people in Samut Songkhram have had to duck under the wires to avoid possible electrocution."

The cables appear to be insulated otherwise anyone touching those handrails would be electrocuted. It is not unbelievable to see this as some of the typical shoddy wiring practices carried out in this country have been shown on TVF may times in the past. The local authorities responsible for this pedestrian overpass should be hauled up on charges for allowing the electrical contractors / PEA to leave cables in such a manner.

Over time that insulation will wear thin due to friction caused by movement whereby the actual wiring becomes exposed.

Sad though it may be it seems to be the case in Thailand that somebody has to die before changes take place and in this particular case it's quite likely to be a child.

1 hour ago, kannot said:

pea approved electrician did some wiring at my  house.....first and last time, note the wiring colours.....I  ripped the lot out chucked him and  re did it  all myself

P1090292-web.jpg

3.jpg

and before it gets mentioned this  photo is 4  years old and i did replace with an rcd the main breaker

On 11/1/2016 at 4:43 AM, ScotBkk said:

One shouldn't try to advise the country health & safety measures referencing electricity or anything along these lines. It gives them something to hold onto ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes we should not advise ... because neglect of safety is prevalent on a national scale... its a cultural characteristic ... its too much effort to install and practice safety measures... 

Yes we should not advise ... because neglect of safety is prevalent on a national scale... its a cultural characteristic ... its too much effort to install and practice safety measures... 

Right-on
You cant possibly even contemplate bringing Thailand into the 21st century. It would spoil its splendours taking away the natural impending dangers albeit on waterways, land or roads. It's why we marvel at Asia ,attributed to internal decadence, moral degeneration or decay; turpitude as shameful base characterisation.

Shit - hole even !!!

I better shut-up or the Thai apologists will be on my case lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Johpa said:

It is expensive to splice some of these cables, specifically fiber optic cables, and requires some pretty high tech equipment, but still less expensive than replacing the bridge.  Hard to tell if these are fiber optic cables.  Several years ago I was surprised to find out that a critical fiber optic Internet "backbone" that connected the US to Canada ran along the the railroad right-of-way adjacent to my store when a tech supervisor stopped by the store to chat about a city construction project.  At that time the cost to a contractor who accidentally cut the line was about $30,000.  The city construction project would require raising the line above the ground and require security 24/7.  The additional cost to the city, totally unanticipated by the city, was in the neighborhood of $200,000. And that was about 10 years ago.

Yes and I'm guessing that is why they didn't "simply" just reroute the lines, somebody's tit is in a ringer.

18 hours ago, kannot said:

and before it gets mentioned this  photo is 4  years old and i did replace with an rcd the main breaker

20 hours ago, kannot said:

P1090292-web.jpg

3.jpg

Black wires are hot in my world but all colors except green should be considered hot. I must say that was a mess though, scary what that may have cost you if you hadn't noticed.