Best neighborhood of Pattaya for ex-NYC resident to retire in

louloomis

Hi. Long-time NYC resident here.

Where I live in NYC:

1. Within a few blocks is everything I need to live day-to-day - all within walking distance (I do not have a car or other vehicle, nor do I want one)

2. It's clean and as safe as you can get in a big city

3. Has some local neighborhood restaurants (a couple are reasonably-priced), some bars

4. I'm near public transportation to other neighborhoods

5. My apartment is in a clean, well-maintained building and is VERY small, but I'm totally used to it. Not upscale at all, but just a clean, liveable basic place.

So, based on the above details, where can I move in Pattaya for a long-term retirement plan that won't leave me excessively missing what I have now?

If it's important:  I'm a single male, looking for a studio apartment. Small is ok. Location is very important.

Can anyone help?

I know it's "apples vs. oranges" and "you should move to Bangkok - that's the closest to NYC living" and "move to Thailand and try different places for 2 months and then decide". I'm aware of these possible replies. What I'm looking for are neighborhoods in Pattaya which I can begin to research well in advance of any retirement move. It's just an internet forum conversation - no one is holding your advice hostage so it's ok if you just come up with a few thoughts - doesn't have to be written in stone. Just looking for guidance to begin my research.

Thank you.

LL

Edited by louloomis

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One location that might be of interest is the corridor along Pattaya-Naklua Road, north of Dolphin Circle.

Plenty of newer and older studios with a broad range of prices, great public transport by baht bus, dozens of restaurants with a wide range of cuisines, Best and Tesco supermarkets within easy reach, close to two major hospitals, and not far from Wong Amat beach.

My wife and I moved here to this area five years ago, and absolutely love it.

PM me if you want more info and links to resources for locating accommodations.

I would suggest central Pattaya. There are several new highrise condos on Pattaya Second Road that offer you seaviews and walking distance to Central Festival--the best and biggest mall in Pattaya. They are also short walks to the beach, the bars, movie theaters, and lots of restaurants and shops.  The 10 baht truck taxis run along Second Road so you can hop on one to take you to points north--Pattaya International Hospital, Big C North Pattaya, and, in the future, the huge new mall/entertainment center called Terminal 21 now under construction.  New condos tend to be on the small side for studios and 1 bedrooms but they make up for it by having great amenities--nice air-conditioned gyms, big pools, sky lounges, nice lobbies, steam rooms, saunas, etc. 

And, to round out the territorialists, I would recommend central Jomtien -- staying in the area around Jomtien Complex (VT1, VT2, VT5, VT7, Chateau Dale, Jomtien Complex, even View Talay Residences 1-4).  Thousands of studio apartments to choose from, small to large.

• Plenty of restaurants and bars within very close walking distance
  • Frequent baht buses into Pattaya and down Jomtien Beach Road
  • Small, but fairly adequate (if expensive), western-style grocery store (Food Mart), with a faint promise of another one (Villa Market on Thepprasit)
  • Branches of just about every Thai bank in the 'hood
  • Immigrations office a stone's throw away
  • About as clean and safe as you'll find in Thailand

This is very helpful information. Thank you, everyone.

I know rents can change (high vs. low season) and that they can be impacted by the 1 month vs. 6 month vs. 12 month leases oftentimes. Also, I know they can be impacted by the presence/absence of utilities factored into the total.

I see some of the apartments in the Pattaya-Naklua Road area north of Dolphin Circle are in the 200-300 USD/month range (at least that's what's being advertised - again, a generalization).

Is this the case for the highrises on Pattaya Second Road?

I'm asking because, unfortunately, I forgot to add that that is ideally my price range based on a 6 month or 12 month contract.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this price range? Does it vastly limit my options or?

Thanks again.

LL

8 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

And, to round out the territorialists, I would recommend central Jomtien -- staying in the area around Jomtien Complex (VT1, VT2, VT5, VT7, Chateau Dale, Jomtien Complex, even View Talay Residences 1-4).  Thousands of studio apartments to choose from, small to large.

• Plenty of restaurants and bars within very close walking distance
  • Frequent baht buses into Pattaya and down Jomtien Beach Road
  • Small, but fairly adequate (if expensive), western-style grocery store (Food Mart), with a faint promise of another one (Villa Market on Thepprasit)
  • Branches of just about every Thai bank in the 'hood
  • Immigrations office a stone's throw away
  • About as clean and safe as you'll find in Thailand

Yes, and Pastrami and Rye right there.

http://www.pastramionryethailand.com/

I'm from NYC adn the only place worth living in Pattaya is Jomtien. Best weather, quiet, good food, no nuts, best beach water (less polluted than Pattaya which is dismal). Look up Acqua Condo on internet, 3 swimming pools and fitness, studios for 400-500 $ month. 600 gets you beautiful one bedroom, quietest place in Jomtien. The View Talay places are like living in Stuyvesant Town

ACQUA POOL.JPG

Edited by ronjomtien
add sentence

I think to get something decent in a nice building you'll be in the $350-$450+ range--always exceptions, of course.  Without a car you should definitely look for something on the baht truck taxi route or nearby.  Lots of condos on or just a short walk to Jomtien Beach Road, Thappraya Road, Pattaya Second Road--all on the taxi line.  If you rule out central Pattaya,  then Jomtien Beach Road/Jomtien Complex area would be my second choice.

I also depends if you want to live mostly among farangs (tourists and expats) or a usually more quite and relaxing (for me) area which is more local Thais living area's.

As an example, I live in a double shophouse (ground floor and 2 above stories) in a quite side road/alley of a main road (Thepprasit) for only 10.000baht.

Many shops, restaurants, bars, karaoke and such here. Public transport will be bahtbus or motorbike taxi (everywhere available)

I have lived in the past in several locations Pattaya incl. condominiums filled with tourists and expats, but I clearly prefer now the more Thai locals area.

All around are many rooms also available for short or longterm rent.

I suggest just to start get a place on a month to month base and just take your time to look around.

Still got the top floor (2 rooms+bahtroom about 60+sqm) empty.

shophouse.jpg

Edited by BrainLife

I lived on 70th and West End Ave for several years.  As you say, it's apples and oranges. We miss NYC terribly.  But don't miss the winters nor the high prices! LOL

Nothing in the Pattaya area will come anywhere near what you have in NYC. The different areas are drastically different. I highly suggest you come here and experience it for yourself. Before we committed to an apartment we saw online, we decided to see it in person first. Whew, glad we did. Pics on the Internet can be deceiving.

$200 - 300 isn't going to get you much. Public transport is,  well,  difficult.  Jingthing is the expert there.

What's your reason for picking Pattaya over Bangkok? Or other places? It depends on what you want to do as to the best place to live. Traffic is terrible in Pattaya. Think of NYC at rush hour! And no taxis. No subways. No buses. Just open air public pickup trucks with a roof.

The op's budget  is 7000- 10,000

View Taley would be ok for him ,  but think may need about 12k

and need to strike a deal for a year i would think.

JBC, beach road,     Majestic,   ( soi watboon )      are in his  price range.

Weather in Jomtien is same as in Pattaya !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beach is no better than Pattaya.

The island beach  is ok.

Night life ok in Jomtien,  there is a Gay seen in and around Jomtien Complex

if that's your thing,   or  loads of small bars up the side streets on beach road.

or Rompole market for the lady bars.

Restaurants are good in Jomtien.

Transport in to pattaya is fine on the Baht bus at 10 Baht !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Small shopping for food is ok in Jomtien Tops and 24 place just up the road.

Or Lotus just up on Sukhumvet in Jomtien. plenty of

taxi there for getting  your shopping home.

Edited by onemorechang

To be fair, there is an outfit called Grab Taxi, which is an Uber-like app-driven operation.  In Bangkok it works very slick:  metered fare (same as regular taxi) plus a B25 surcharge.  In Pattaya, it's a concocted set price per ride based on origin & destination -- far above what they charged in the beginning when they used the meter + B50 -- and very difficult at times to get a driver to accept your request.  BUT, when it works it is fairly decent (though pricey).

One big consideration is transport. Many have suggested Jomtien, but this will require the necessity to travel a lot to get to basic necessities such as supermarkets/shopping malls. There is no reasonable transportation system. Baht buses can prove to be a nightmare to deal with from Jomtien... so you would probably need a motorcycle if you live there, otherwise you're going to feel isolated... and of course that puts you at a big risk of serious personal injury.

Central Pattaya could be your best option. There's a lot of brand new condo developments close to the beach and all amenities.

Whatever you do, DO NOT uproot yourself from NYC until you are very sure you want to live here as it could be hard to go back if you change your mind. Spend a lot of time here before you make your decision. Whether you enjoy Pattaya or not has a lot to do with your personality and needs, and that's impossible to predict.

It can take years for the seeds of discontent to germinate. The first couple of years in Pattaya could be considered honeymoon years.

As an 11 year resident of Pattaya my advice would be to stay in NYC and just vacation here. Sooner or later you'll get Pattaya out of your system and start to enjoy NYC more.:D

Edited by tropo

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

Another big plus of Jomtien is Pastrami on Rye restaurant. Great sandwiches of same name, plus reubens, etc. Buddy from Brooklyn gives big thumbs up.

This is use to be a good restaurant, have you been lately?

it sucks!!  New York Pizza in Pattaya hasthe best American

Style pie in Pattaya.  Don't know what happened to Pastrami on

Rye, maybe new owner.

Traffic is not terrible in Pattaya--and we're talking about a compact area anyway.  Even if it's moving slow you're normally not going very far and you're there in 20 or 30 minutes or less.  Just spend a weekend in Bangkok and you know we have it easy.  If you're in central Pattaya or the Jomtien Complex area you can walk a lot of the time to shopping, restaurants, bars, beach, etc.  One of the things I like about Pattaya is it's a manageable size.

17 minutes ago, tropo said:

One big consideration is transport. Many have suggested Jomtien, but this will require the necessity to travel a lot to get to basic necessities such as supermarkets/shopping malls. There is no reasonable transportation system. Baht buses can prove to be a nightmare to deal with from Jomtien...

Supermarkets and shopping malls may be a necessity for you, but not for everybody.

Daily needs can be bought everywhere and large stock or heavy things can be ordered online and home delivered for free. I use 3 different online supermarkets and Lazada for most non-food items.

Jomtien has a good transport system. The "nightmare" you talk about is only around and from the beach area, during certain times (beach day end and such).

16 minutes ago, BrainLife said:

Supermarkets and shopping malls may be a necessity for you, but not for everybody.

Daily needs can be bought everywhere and large stock or heavy things can be ordered online and home delivered for free. I use 3 different online supermarkets and Lazada for most non-food items.

Jomtien has a good transport system. The "nightmare" you talk about is only around and from the beach area, during certain times (beach day end and such).

I believe you've got that the wrong way around... Supermarkets and shopping malls are a necessity for most people, but not you... even if they are not a necessity, they're something people like. You're in the minority, not me...  

What is this good transport system you speak of? Baht buses?

Edit: Of course anyone can survive without a supermarket or shopping mall - I ain't going to die, but I'm not here just to survive.

Edited by tropo

10 hours ago, louloomis said:

So, based on the above details, where can I move in Pattaya for a long-term retirement plan that won't leave me excessively missing what I have now?

what you are looking for does not exist. neither in Pattaya nor in its outskirts.

I'm an ex NYC guy married to a wonderful Thai girl. Believe me when I tell you this, Pattaya is not a place you want to live. The crime rate is high, the beaches are Ok at best and everyone is trying to get their hand into your pocket. From what I have seen in my 15 years here ,there are no good neighborhoods,areas,etc., in Pattaya. Most of the ex-pats(not all) living in Pattaya are there because it's much cheaper living than Bangkok . Any place that starts 'Happy Hour' at 7am is not a place you want to be.

1 hour ago, little mary sunshine said:

This is use to be a good restaurant, have you been lately?

it sucks!!  New York Pizza in Pattaya hasthe best American

Style pie in Pattaya.  Don't know what happened to Pastrami on

Rye, maybe new owner.

I disagree. Pastrami on Rye is one of the best places in town--great breakfast menu, very good NYC Deli sandwiches (or as close as you are going to get to that in Asia), and the best pizza in town. 

21 minutes ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

I disagree. Pastrami on Rye is one of the best places in town--great breakfast menu, very good NYC Deli sandwiches (or as close as you are going to get to that in Asia), and the best pizza in town. 

the breakfast may be good and he pizza may be good i dont know i went there for the pastrami on rye and it sucked like eating cardboard NOTHING like a NYC deli sandwich should  or does taste

Happy Hour starts at 7AM only if you want it to.  The crime rate is not high if you live normally and I don't find anybody putting their hands in my pockets.  Never been mugged and the worst I endure is "Massage! " occasionally suggested to me as I walk around.  Probably the majority of Pattayans live their lives away from the bar scene and  I would say most are not living in Pattaya because it's cheaper than Bangkok.   If I wasn't living in Pattaya I'd be in another beach town--not a huge city.

1 hour ago, bangkoken said:

I'm an ex NYC guy married to a wonderful Thai girl. Believe me when I tell you this, Pattaya is not a place you want to live. The crime rate is high, the beaches are Ok at best and everyone is trying to get their hand into your pocket. From what I have seen in my 15 years here ,there are no good neighborhoods,areas,etc., in Pattaya. Most of the ex-pats(not all) living in Pattaya are there because it's much cheaper living than Bangkok . Any place that starts 'Happy Hour' at 7am is not a place you want to be.

Bla  Bla  Bla.

Nothing wrong with 7am Happy hour.

One of the problems when people  who move away from Pattaya.

is they  forget what fun is. :saai:

The Op  was asking about Pattaya.

BTW 2015,    352 murders  in NYC

you should be used to a high crime rate by now. :giggle:

Edited by onemorechang

Not sure what your budget is or reason for choosing Pattaya or where you lived in NYC.... or even if you have been to Pattaya or are going for a first time...

I would say, if you are new, you might want to be near the Emporium area, maybe a block or two behind it - heading toward Bua Khao maybe... 

Trying to duplicate or starting out with a comparison of another place, any other place, I think is bound to lead to disappointment. Looking for the west in the east is not a good idea and you might find you want something entirely different when you get here. So, I would suggest take your time, look around and stay flexible and enjoy the adventure...

Not sure why you have ruled out Bkk but my wife, who had lived in Bkk, the first time I brought her to NYC, her immediate response was - - "It's Bangkok"... 

1 hour ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

When they were on beach road it was wonderful.  I never had

their breakfast, in the last three months I ordered pizza.  First was so

undercooked dough still" gooy .."I got it to go, horrible..second, pizza again

undercooked, I ate in,had to send it back, cheese was cheap and not

good stringy mozzarella....third  crust was so hard and dry, poor

imitation cheese, but sausage on pizza was good.  I have never been

disappointed with New York Pizza, tho I live in Jomtien, I drive to

Pattaya for a good pie!!!  Never go to Pis on Rye again!!