Phuket beach floating jetty investigated for causing coral damage

webfact

Phuket beach floating jetty investigated for causing coral damage

Eakkapop Thongtub

1478152049_1-org.jpg

The Marine Office issued a permit to install the jetty, but now says it has revoked that permit. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Local marine conservation officials are investigating whether a floating jetty at Kamala Beach will have to be removed for possibly causing damage to more than 600 square metres of corals.

The jetty is more than 190 metres long, and at low tide the floating structure rests on the seabed immediately offshore, explained Marine Ecology Chief Dr Nalinee Thongtam of the “Sixth Marine and Coastal Resource Administration” office Phuket.

“We surveyed the area and learned that the jetty is more than 190 metres long and when the tide is low the jetty sinks to the bottom on top of the coral,” Dr Nalinee said.

“At high tide, the anchor points that hold the jetty in place by rope may move when there are strong waves, and any movement of these anchor points will damage coral,” she added.

“We estimate the damage under the jetty to cover about 600sqm, which is a lot of damage. Even though some areas are only dead corals that look like rocks, if these corals were damaged by the jetty, we will hold the ‘owner’ (sic) of the jetty because these dead corals are also our natural resources,” she explained.

The “owner of the jetty” Dr Nalinee referred to is a local hotel which requested – and received – permission to install the floating jetty.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-floating-jetty-investigated-for-causing-coral-damage-59711.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-03

They might want to try doing the survey BEFORE issuing permits in the future. 

That couldn't be done it's called RESEARCH and Thais don't do much of that laborious work stops them making a quick buck !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was amazed to see it appear the other day. I don't know why they would put it out there. I did see a guy fishing off it and a couple swimming around. I guess customers might like it. 

It's not like they're hurting the local environment. All the coral is dead out there. 

A lot of issues here with the complete lack of environmental thinking from the Thais. It just seems clueless to me. Everything is approved with never any thought to the environment. I doubt if a condo development has ever been disapproved. Just keep building. Never any consideration of parks or sidewalks, just build your shitty condominiums. 

That's why there are 4000 condo units under construction in Kamala. In the middle of an enormous property bubble more units available everyday. This when all the existing utilities are overwhelmed. They run out of water every year. Sewage is poorly treated, if at all and no one knows what to do with the mountains of trash. 

It's not just Phuket. Phi Phi is a disaster with 85% of the sewage untreated. Phuket and Krabi are drowning in trash and incinerators have been broken for years. 

It's an ongoing environmental disaster with no hope in sight. Go ahead and build it, never a problem. 

Waiting to see if they will confiscate all the boats the throw anchor on reefs all along the coast, if the now will enforce this law? :clap2:

I'm not holding my breath. :sleep:

From the article

“Right now we think they broke Regulation 4 of Section 16 (of the Act), which prohibits anyone to build, seize or own anything that will damage marine and coastal natural resources,” Mr Suchart said.
Read more at http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-floating-jetty-investigated-for-causing-coral-damage-59711.php#TfkwoLduePMidGf3.99