Univeristy ED Visa Cancellation

The university I have been attending has informed me that they will be notifying immigration around the end of this month (Nov. 2016) to cancel my ED visa.

I entered the country in February 2016 on a tourist visa and had it changed over into an ED visa at Chaengwatthana.

The stamp says the visa is valid until June 2017. My next 90 report is in December.

Is it really possible for them to contact immigration and have it canceled? If so, how much time would I have to exit the country until I would be considered as overstaying? Up until the time of my next 90  day report? Or, 7 days after it is officially canceled by immigration?

Could I just go in and out of the country every 90 days and keep it active until June 2017?

Edited by The Honest Farang

Certainly, the University can inform immigration that you are no longer enrolled, and your extension of stay should be canceled. It is lucky for you that they have informed you of the date when this will take effect. In principle, you must leave Thailand on that date. You can ask immigration for an extension of the permission to stay. This will be denied, but you will be given 7 days to leave the country. Assuming you still want to stay in Thailand, you need to find another way to stay. You should probably plan to leave Thailand at the end of the month to get a fresh visa of some kind.

Their reason is that I am not taking enough courses to maintain a visa through the school.

I did not simply enroll, get a visa and then disappear. I had planned on finishing the program and earning the degree but there is no point in that if they cannot/will not provide a visa which would allow me to stay in country and finish the course work.

Assuming you have both the desire and the funds to continue study why not assure the U. that next semester you will enroll in enough courses to become a full time student. You and your faculty advisor could visit the dean of your faculty and explain that you took a light course load to be certain you could successfully do university level work at a Thai university. Universities want students to remain and be successful.