PM tells politicians not to exploit farmers’ hardship to upstage themselves

rooster59

PM tells politicians not to exploit farmers’ hardship to upstage themselves

0411003.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha asked politicians not to upstage themselves by buying rice from farmers in front of the media, but should be sincere in helping them.

The prime minister did not name any politicians in particular, but it was well understood that he meant former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra who visited farmers in Ubon Ratchathani on Thursday and bought some rice from them to be given to members of her entourage.

The prime minister apologized president of the Thai Rice Millers Association for resigning from the post after rice millers came under criticism, including from the prime minister himself, for allegedly colluding with local politicians to suppress Hom Mali paddy price.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-tells-politicians-not-to-exploit-farmers-hardship-to-upstage-themselves/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-05

8 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The price of rice would be stable if the politicians stopped interfering.

Every time they start playing with commodity prices things go horribly wrong.

Agreed. Even worse Bangkok university academics now want to get in on the act.  What they know about rice production and marketing could be written on the back of a postage stamp. They live in another galaxy far removed from real life called Academia.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha asked politicians not to upstage themselves by buying rice from farmers in front of the media, but should be sincere in helping them.

hmmm, ... This General is a total d!ck, isn't he?

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The prime minister did not name any politicians in particular, but it was well understood that he meant former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra who visited farmers in Ubon Ratchathani on Thursday and bought some rice from them to be given to members of her entourage.

And he doesn't understand the popularity of his opponent, either.... 

I suspect that if she goes down, then he goes down no more than a month later... 

8 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

Agreed. Even worse Bangkok university academics now want to get in on the act.  What they know about rice production and marketing could be written on the back of a postage stamp. They live in another galaxy far removed from real life called Academia.

They will be well matched with the resident Tvisa experts on Thai rice farming, soon to be drawn to the thread by the mention of Yingluck no doubt.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Don't you mean the "Government" and in particularly the Executive Branch led by PM Prayut?

They are the ones who are promoting and financing various subsidy schemes to create artifical market prices. Prayut has always been very adamant that the military are not politicians and as such, to be more trustworthy.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Yingluck Shinawatra who visited farmers in Ubon Ratchathani on Thursday and bought some rice from them to be given to members of her entourage.

Wow, yingluck took some rice from farmers and actually paid for it!

With money?

Not a promise to pay later?

Now, there's a thing...

Edited by Bluespunk

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha asked politicians not to upstage themselves by buying rice from farmers in front of the media

Hmm, is that the correct use of "upstage"?

Or by "themselves" was the pm referring to his govts plans for rice?

Not that that makes anymore sense. 

How do you get a job proof reading English language stories for this news agency I wonder. 

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Wow, yingluck took some rice from farmers and actually paid for it!

With money?

Not a promise to pay later?

Now, there's a thing...

Maybe she gave it " oh sorry I appear to have left my wallet at home but don't worry I'll get it to you. You know me, I'm good for it ! "

:biggrin:

Just now, NongKhaiKid said:

Maybe she gave it " oh sorry I appear to have left my wallet at home but don't worry I'll get it to you. You know me, I'm good for it ! "

:biggrin:

Yep, if I were the farmers I'd check the envelope used to pay contained money not an IOU...

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha asked politicians not to upstage themselves by buying rice from farmers in front of the media, but should be sincere in helping them.

Get with the times Mr. Prayut. She is no longer a politician. As for the "real" politicians including self appointed ones upstaging is part of the political game. The media is always politico friendly. Look at you for example in the photo above making this earth shattering statement. Would you not call that upstaging the upstagers. 

Edited by elgordo38

22 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Scared of a little competition? Don't worry you have the full backing of the elite and their army if Yingluck makes a comeback. Best jail her quickly, we don't want a Sam Ramsey or Aung San Sushi stirring the pot in Los.

Yingluck and Aung San

mentioned in one sentence.  :ohmy:

Well, that's a good joke :clap2:

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

"The prime minister apologized president of the Thai Rice Millers Association for resigning from the post after rice millers came under criticism"

What does that mean?

It just meant he is shooting of his mouth again without any facts or evidence. Or crudely put, he engaged his mouth first before engaging his brain. Once again his gaffe has came back to haunt him. What an embarrassment. 

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

"The prime minister apologized president of the Thai Rice Millers Association for resigning from the post after rice millers came under criticism"

What does that mean?

Reading this report: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rice-millers-association-chief-quits-but-denies-allegation-of-rice-price-suppression/

It should read: " The president of the Thai Rice Millers Association apologized to the Prime Minister for resigning after rice millers came under criticism."

27 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

It just meant he is shooting of his mouth again without any facts or evidence. Or crudely put, he engaged his mouth first before engaging his brain. Once again his gaffe has came back to haunt him. What an embarrassment. 

What does this post mean?

51 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

What does this post mean?

Simply meant that he is playing the blame game way too much. He lambasted the media for their report on human trafficking, blame staff issues for the aviation safety failure, finger point at political motivation in all bombings and all these were personal emotion outburst were proven wrong eventually. He really think the association members mass resignation due to his criticism? More like they just disgusted being blame. He never owned up to any problems. 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

So, not a fan then. 

21 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

The self appointed PM tells the previously democratically appointed PM that he overthrew in a coup not to upstage him. Or else what?

This 'man' and I loosely use the term man cause he rarely acts like one, is a bully plain and simple. The sooner he is replaced the better.

Yingluck wasn't PM at the time of a coup and the country was in a mess.

No fan of coups or military govt but let's not whitewash the disaster that was the last PT administration.

18 hours ago, colinneil said:

Every time they start playing with commodity prices things go horribly wrong.

Politicians are not only to blame,

Speculators and traders have a responsibility in handling rice prices.

Currently the price of rice returns to its 2006 level.
During the economic crisis that hit the West, speculators have abandoned risky markets to raw material

This Represented changes in the price of rice from 1990 to 2016graphique_bdm.png

the second oil prices on the same period

graphique_bdm (1).png

both reached a pic to September 2008

When you see rice price up to $ 1,000 / ton, greedy minds can only pushed to overproduction and lead, consequently, a drastic fall in