Motorcycle Ownership Cost

Briggsy

Many motorcycle owners, including me, tend to overly focus on the purchase price of a motorcycle.

This ignores the many other costs involved and presents an inaccurate picture of the true cost. I have therefore in the attached Excel file attempted to create a more meaningful cost breakdown using my own ownership of a CB 500X, purchased from new.

The summary of the results are :-

Year 1

Mileage : 13000 km

Cost : 107,000 Baht (rounded)

Year 2

Cost : 58,000 Baht (rounded)

Year 3

Cost : 70,000 Baht (rounded)

The Excel template can be manipulated, amended and reworked to your own satisfaction and circumstances.

I hope the thread does not degenerate into accusations of, "This is wrong, that is wrong," because that is not the point. There are various ways this calculation can be done and they will give different results, which is the point. People can adapt the template as they see fit.

To go back to my own figures above, I then perhaps need to compare my true costs with the alternatives which would be to travel on public transport or buy a car or a different bike and also the enjoyment and convenience factors and consider if it is a good way to spend my money. For me, I feel it is.

Motorcycle Cost.xlsx

• Like 1

Briggsy: very nice! Thanks for sharing this with us. I should probably start doing the same even though it's a bit too late.

JoePai: since that's consumables, I would assume it's a new set of tires in there at around 10k? Maybe a battery? Maybe Briggsy can comment on that. Labor at Bigwing is fairly cheap but I thought there should have been a big service with valve checks by now that would cost a bit more. I don't remember what it cost for my CBR500R.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Briggsy: very nice! Thanks for sharing this with us. I should probably start doing the same even though it's a bit too late.

JoePai: since that's consumables, I would assume it's a new set of tires in there at around 10k? Maybe a battery? Maybe Briggsy can comment on that. Labor at Bigwing is fairly cheap but I thought there should have been a big service with valve checks by now that would cost a bit more. I don't remember what it cost for my CBR500R.

Spot on.

The big cost for consumables all came in Year 3. 2 tyres and a chain and sprockets. All done at different times, oddly enough. Still on the original battery! It has crossed my mind though.

The valve check came in Year 2. That was part of the 24,000 km service. It pushed up the labour cost but as you can see not by much.

Edited by Briggsy
There are two sprockets!

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Spot on.

The big cost for consumables all came in Year 3. 2 tyres and a chain and sprockets. All done at different times, oddly enough. Still on the original battery! It has crossed my mind though.

The valve check came in Year 2. That was part of the 24,000 km service. It pushed up the labour cost but as you can see not by much.

I had to get a new battery for my Forza after only 12000 Ks, costing 3.800 Bt, but that was from the Honda agent, still

overpriced compared with a new car battery.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Thanks for that. Ever think of adding a Positives column ?  For me - all the pleasure by far outweighs the Bad. You gotta ride in the rain to appreciate the sun !!

Yes, good point. I sort of balanced off the costs with the last paragraph on the post but I could certainly create a "positives" calculation on the spreadsheet. It would be much more subjective though. How much premium would I put on blasting along an empty road, the weak Thai winter sun just peeping over the rooftops, an (imaginary) hot chck sitting pillion, the throaty roar of the twin cylinder engine ........?

• Like 1

I hear you. Many Memorable moments in the saddle (couple of ways to take that !) and the empty road in the Morning sun is just one of them. Along with finally arriving at a Motel after 2 days riding in the freezing cold and rain with the promise of better weather tomorrow. Stacked against the dollar sign - no Choice for me

Good way of watching stuff. :thumbsup:        no comparison really but @ s/h.

Sep 13 to Aug 14....................................Where mine is different pleasure only 1st year only.
...............................................1year old bought s/h @ 230,000.  New 285,000 with 40,000 extras.
Actual Mileage (km)        13000......................3500 aprox.               
Depreciation        ฿43,000...................... say 10,000.  
Loss of use of capital        ฿4,733...................?
Registration        ฿2,155...............................2,600 aprox
Road Tax        ฿100.......................................already had.
Compulsory Insurance        ฿645.................ditto.
First Class Insurance        ฿9,500.................nil.
Compulsory Inspection        ฿0.....................0.
Accessories        ฿21,630............................already had
Sub-total        ฿81,763.................................15,600

Mileage dependent costs        
Service : Labour        ฿1,542.......................Do myself.
Service : Consumables        ฿3,980............359.
Repairs        ฿0.............................................0.
Fuel        ฿19,500..................................? ?  say 5000.

Total        ฿106,785...................................21,000.

For the 500 and 650 series available in Thailand, you can pretty much round off at 20-25k per year for 1st class insurance and service costs (if you use it daily).

As the insurance price decreases over the years, the service and parts costs add up. New tires once a year or two. Chain and sprockets. Brake pads and rotors. Spark plugs. Fork oil. Bearings. The odds and ends that might need changing from time to time. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, sananeamk0715 said:

excuse me.

I just bought 5 years cbr 150r and in 100,000 km

how much am i need to pay for green book? really price for green book 70,000 ,baht 107,000 baht?

or am i wrong?

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say but I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, you are wrong ?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sananeamk0715 said:

excuse me.

I just bought 5 years cbr 150r and in 100,000 km

how much am i need to pay for green book? really price for green book 70,000 ,baht 107,000 baht?

or am i wrong?

This is nothing to do with this topic. Please start your own topic.

However, the duty on transferring a motorcycle to a new owner is 0.5% of the purchase price. I think there may be a fee of 105 Baht also.

If the bike has no green book then you have entered an expensive bureaucratic maze.

Again, stay out of this topic with your irrelevant comments. Thank you.

• Sad 1

For those of you that don't want to do the spreadsheet route, I highly recommend an Android app called Fuelio. I've been using it for a couple of years and love it. Since you always have it with you on your phone, you can add data as you go. Very handy for road trips. You can set up multiple vehicles as well. Keeps track of fuel, service, parts, etc and you can set reminders for things like insurance renewal, service, etc. Best app I have found for vehicle data.

David

• Like 1