Israel appeals for U.S. not imposing solution on Israeli-Palestinian conflict

webfact

Israel appeals for U.S. not imposing solution on Israeli-Palestinian conflict

Source: Xinhua 

JERUSALEM, Nov. 7 (Xinhua) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday that he expects the next United States president not to impose a solution on the lingering Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Netanyahu told his ministers at the start of the weekly cabinet meeting that the dispute can be resolved only by direct negotiations without preconditions, adding that his country expects that "the U.S. will remain faithful to the principle that it has set over many years."

The hardline leader said he hopes the U.S., Israel's closest ally, will not allow resolutions by the United Nations and other international bodies to impose on Israel solution to the conflict.

Full story: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-11/06/c_135809999.htm

-- Xinhua 2016-11-07

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

Netanyahu told his ministers at the start of the weekly cabinet meeting that the dispute can be resolved only by direct negotiations without preconditions

What a pipe dream statement to be made. He has to be on drugs or delusional by some other form to believe this line of BS. Israel doesn't want to negotiate. Because such negotiations will lead to Israel having to concede, and the Palestinians to gain. Hell will freeze over before the Jewish State willingly gives anything back to the Palestinians.

Therefore the only way to sort this mess out once and for all is for the global community to single out Israel. Call it for what is, which is a hard line state hellbent on seeing Palestine become non existent, and force it to comply with the Palestinians requests to stop building settlements. And give back what it has stolen.

Them and the Saudis are possibly the biggest terrorist countries in the world and Israel as usual plays the 'we are hard done to card'. The sooner the US and other countries stop supporting and funding these countries the better the world will be. Sadly, it isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

Hillary Clinton will win.

The majority of Israelis favor Hillary Clinton because they recognize an unstable nutcase when they see one (trump), so Clinton is seen as more stable. Some may be surprised by that considering that most Israelis don't like Obama.

Hillary Clinton will obviously be more pro-Israel than Obama.

Sorry, Israel demonizers, there is no good news for you in this U.S. election.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hillary Clinton will win.

The majority of Israelis favor Hillary Clinton because they recognize an unstable nutcase when they see one (trump), so Clinton is seen as more stable. Some may be surprised by that considering that most Israelis don't like Obama.

Hillary Clinton will obviously be more pro-Israel than Obama.

Sorry, Israel demonizers, there is no good news for you in this U.S. election.

On the other hand, there is very good news form them in the form of Brexit. The UK has been the one nation in the EU that could always be counted on to defend Israel from boycotts and such.

24 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

No contest. Israel is a nuclear power, thanks to the US.

Anyway, I really don't think Israel and Saudi Arabia are in explicit conflict so it was a bizarre and ignorant suggest. Not good buddies though, that's for sure. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Anyway, I really don't think Israel and Saudi Arabia are in explicit conflict so it was a bizarre and ignorant suggest. Not good buddies though, that's for sure. 

I didn't say they were big enemies, I just think they are both very evil states and I would love to see them both knocked off there high horse.  I'm from the US and I'm not very high on US foreign or domestic policy either.

3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

No contest. Israel is a nuclear power, thanks to the US.

I don't think anybody is dumb enough to use nukes, except terrorists if they ever have them. Saudi is moving up fast as they are the third biggest spender for arms ahead of Russia.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Actually, when it comes to Syria and Iran, Israel and Saudi Arabia are defacto allies. In fact, Robert Fisk had a good article in the independent about Israel taking care of Al-Nusra soldiers wounded in Syria. In case you don't know who they are, Al Nusra is an Sunni extremist group.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/syrian-war-israel-al-nusra-golan-heights-allies-a7398246.html

42 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I didn't say they were big enemies, I just think they are both very evil states and I would love to see them both knocked off there high horse.  I'm from the US and I'm not very high on US foreign or domestic policy either.

Well, not here to discuss Saudi, but if you actually believe Israel is really an "evil" state, you don't know the first thing about evil states. 

I realize it's a knee JERK fashionable thing in many circles these days (particularly in Europe) to hate on Israel. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 11/7/2016 at 6:55 AM, coma said:

What a pipe dream statement to be made. He has to be on drugs or delusional by some other form to believe this line of BS. Israel doesn't want to negotiate. Because such negotiations will lead to Israel having to concede, and the Palestinians to gain. Hell will freeze over before the Jewish State willingly gives anything back to the Palestinians.

Therefore the only way to sort this mess out once and for all is for the global community to single out Israel. Call it for what is, which is a hard line state hellbent on seeing Palestine become non existent, and force it to comply with the Palestinians requests to stop building settlements. And give back what it has stolen.

Israel made concessions in the past (the Palestinian National Authority being an obvious example), and withdrew from previously held territory (as in the disengagement from the Gaza Strip). Granted that the current Israeli government is very unlikely to pursue anything resembling meaningful negotiations.

As for "giving back", there's no "back". Harsh as it seems, the current political circumstances are the pinnacle of Palestinian national self determination to date. There is are previous national circumstances to "go back" to. There is no previous Palestinian state to restore. What the Palestinians will have, one day, is a new state.

There are very few political situations which  involve "only way to solve". IMO, people going on about "only way to solve" usually express wishful thinking, rather than engaging reality. Goes for posters and Netanyahu. 

The "global community" got quite a few other issues to deal with at the moment, which is, partially, why the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is generally on the back burner.

On 11/7/2016 at 7:12 AM, Jack Mountain said:

Psychopaths don't need drugs to be a totally immoral moron. The danger with this low life is that he has his finger on the nuclear bombs trigger. And is willing to use it ...

Netanyahu does not have " his finger on the nuclear bombs trigger". Israel is not dictatorship, and the Prime Minister, loathsome as he may be, cannot just give the order to launch on a whim. As for "willing to use it" - not really. Unlike some of Israel's previous Prime Ministers, Netanyahu talks the talk, but rarely walks the walk.

On 11/7/2016 at 8:44 AM, johna said:

Netanyahu has already said there will never be a Palestinian state,  building illegal settlements is entering its final stage with calls for the complete annexation of the West Bank.

Israeli MPs call for annexation of occupied West Bank

Netanyahu says a lot of things. Most of them are related to domestic politics, even when referring to foreign policy. 

The link provided relates the views of a politicians from a rival right wing party (and yet, part of the current coalition government), which usually holds more extreme views than Netanyahu and his party. They routinely challenge Netanyahu's leadership, often by airing such notions as above. To the best of my knowledge, Netanyahu is not among those who see annexation as an option.

On 11/7/2016 at 9:04 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

Them and the Saudis are possibly the biggest terrorist countries in the world and Israel as usual plays the 'we are hard done to card'. The sooner the US and other countries stop supporting and funding these countries the better the world will be. Sadly, it isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

There's the thing with the internet. Anyone can air whatever bizarre claim or notion, without any obligation to support it with fact. And, as a secondary phenomenon, there will always be people expressing their support for such nonsense.

Edited by Morch

11 hours ago, Morch said:

Netanyahu says a lot of things. Most of them are related to domestic politics, even when referring to foreign policy. 

The link provided relates the views of a politicians from a rival right wing party (and yet, part of the current coalition government), which usually holds more extreme views than Netanyahu and his party. They routinely challenge Netanyahu's leadership, often by airing such notions as above. To the best of my knowledge, Netanyahu is not among those who see annexation as an option.

Building illegal settlements is annexation of Palestinian land

31 minutes ago, johna said:

No it isnt . 

If a new Palestinian state was created, the Jews can still live there in the settlements and become Palestinians and no longer be Israelis

Just like the Palestinians now living on Israeli land .

3 hours ago, johna said:

No, it isn't. The Israeli settlements are illegal, but are not an official act of annexation (as was declared in 1950 by Jordan). On previous instances (Sinai Peninsula, Gaza Strip) Israel did dismantle settlements.

Edited by Morch

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

No it isnt . 

If a new Palestinian state was created, the Jews can still live there in the settlements and become Palestinians and no longer be Israelis

Just like the Palestinians now living on Israeli land .

As far as I am aware,  there is no official existing formulation of a peace agreements in which Israelis now residing in the West Bank will be allowed to remain under Palestinian rule, or become Palestinian citizens. The same goes for the Palestinian constitution (with regard to the citizenship issue).

29 minutes ago, Morch said:

No, it isn't. The Israeli settlements are illegal, but are not an official act of annexation (as was declared in 1950 by Jordan). On previous instances (Sinai Peninsula, Gaza Strip) Israel did dismantle settlements.

That depends on how the law is interpreted .

Israelis say that is is legal, Palestinians say that it isnt

25 minutes ago, Morch said:

As far as I am aware,  there is no official existing formulation of a peace agreements in which Israelis now residing in the West Bank will be allowed to remain under Palestinian rule, or become Palestinian citizens. The same goes for the Palestinian constitution (with regard to the citizenship issue).

They could have a people swap, same as India and Pakistan did in 1948 .

All the Palestinians get out of Israel and all the Israelis move back there .

57 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That depends on how the law is interpreted .

Israelis say that is is legal, Palestinians say that it isnt

Not just the Palestinians, there's pretty much an international consensus that the Israeli settlement effort in the West Bank is illegal. Also, it is not as if Israelis exhibit a unified position with regard to them settlements and their legality. Be that as it may, the settlements do nothing to promote the chances of arriving at a peaceful solution to the conflict.