Visiting India from Chiang Mai????

KhonKaenKowboy

India is a huge country so you need to narrow it down a bit for starters. Visa required for US citizens and if plan is for less than 30 day stay e visa is an option. If longer visa required and there is a consulate here.

These days there here are direct flights from Bangkok to at least half a dozen cities including Calcutta/Bombay/Delhi/Bangalore/Jaipur/Gaya. For cheapest check Air Asia to Calcutta.

8 hours ago, Mahseer said:

India is a huge country so you need to narrow it down a bit for starters. Visa required for US citizens and if plan is for less than 30 day stay e visa is an option. If longer visa required and there is a consulate here.

These days there here are direct flights from Bangkok to at least half a dozen cities including Calcutta/Bombay/Delhi/Bangalore/Jaipur/Gaya. For cheapest check Air Asia to Calcutta.

ASFAIK,AA doesn't do this any more and Chennai is through KL.Try Spicejet to Kolkata.

I''ve been a couple times. Cheapest and easiest  to way get there is probably fly;BKK to Kolkata. You'll definitely need a visa before you go. As far as routes and where to go, it's a huge country, so it depends on you're interests and how much time you have. Himalaya up north, a huge desert in the west, tropics down south. If you've never been, it'll all be worth visiting.

Train travel is cheap and easy,  try for a top berth in sleeping class cars if you use them. It'll give you a little privacy from the crowds. 

Like someone above said, you may want to give New Delhi a miss if you're going any time soon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/08/world/asia/india-delhi-smog.html

Enjoy the trip.

Edited by Rob13

Air Asia starts at around 1890 baht Bangkok to Calcutta. Is it really cheaper to travel from CM to Penang and catch a boat to Madras plus all the food and Hotels you may need ? Does the boat even operate anymore?

Yes I think it does, captained by Jack Sparrow.

13 hours ago, sharktooth said:

DELETED

I have been visiting India since 81 and for the last 10 years average 2 trips a year of typically a month each time. Last trip was July when I was in Orissa visiting hill tribes  and second part was supposed to be fishing for brown trout in Kashmir but some inconsiderate sods decided to start a war so I ended up in Kerala instead. Was also in Delhi and being monsoon time zero pollution but like Chiang Mai it certainly pays to stay clear at certain times of the year.

Next trip will likely be Varanasi and a lap of Meghalaya but that won't be until March/April to avoid our own stinky season.

Edited by seedy
Quote Hidden Post

Been several times, overall dirty place, although Trekking in Srinagar was pleasant and aside from the fact that Dahl Lake looked like we were floating on DAHL and Garbage, the few nights we spent on a House Boat were quite pleasant.

Of course, at the moment, you may get shot by lunatics on either side, if you venture into the area. 

How does the toilets look like in India ? I have heard some bad stories. 

Most toilets are outside, when travelling by train you can see people, (rural areas or where there's a piece of waste ground) going out for their morning squat, armed with a small water container.

Public toilets are few, I was last there in 98, don't know if there's any improvement in the cities.

13 hours ago, lkn said:

It’s surreal: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/08/world/asia/india-delhi-smog.html

And a chilling warning about what can happen here if they don’t start to address the pollution.

I see the May lady from the UK is in India promoting trade. Trade=building more polluting factories more work related polluting traffic. We seem to want more of the stuff that is killing us. 

48 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I see the May lady from the UK is in India promoting trade. Trade=building more polluting factories more work related polluting traffic. We seem to want more of the stuff that is killing us. 

I think India said they'd love to do more trade with the UK provided the UK was more 'open' to movement of people from India. :)

If anyone with a sense of adventure fancies giving stinky old India a shot have a crack at this little circuitous trip:  Shimla-Kalpa-Mud-Kaza-Manali-Shimla. There are plenty of options for other places to explore enroute but will leave that to each to research. Allow 3 weeks but you can only do this 4-5 months a year due to passes being snowed in.

This can be done on a Royal Enfield but you might want to book an appointment with your local chiropractor if not before you head out then certainly on your return.

If anyone with a sense of adventure fancies giving stinky old India a shot have a crack at this little circuitous trip:  Shimla-Kalpa-Mud-Kaza-Manali-Shimla. There are plenty of options for other places to explore enroute but will leave that to each to research. Allow 3 weeks but you can only do this 4-5 months a year due to passes being snowed in.

This can be done on a Royal Enfield but you might want to book an appointment with your local chiropractor if not before you head out then certainly on your return.

Great locations!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

I think India said they'd love to do more trade with the UK provided the UK was more 'open' to movement of people from India. :)

So what your saying is that India wants to export some of his excess population to the UK. I think this is one of the main reasons for Brexit. Open for business yes more refugees no.