Phuket Airport calls for ‘understanding’ as terminal renovations cause major delays

webfact

Phuket Airport calls for ‘understanding’ as terminal renovations cause major delays

The Phuket News

1478520903_1-org.jpg

The notice issued today advised that drivers can circle through the ‘drop-off zone’ every 15 minutes. Photo: The Phuket News

PHUKET: -- Officials at Phuket International Airport have repeated their call for “understanding” as renovations of the old Domestic Terminal cause major upheavals for passengers arriving and departing the island via the airport.

“We apologise for any inconvenience during the renovations,” Airports of Thailand (AoT) Phuket noted in a release issued today (Nov 7).

“We are working to improve the building to accommodate the increasing number of passengers at the airport for the high season,” it added.

“We have officers posted to direct travellers to the correct areas where they need to go and we have signs posted through the terminal. We have also added extra seating in a new waiting area to make it more convenient for passengers needing to wait for the flights.

“We recommend passengers arrive at least two hours before they need to check in (sic) for their flights,” the notice advised.

“We are also taking steps to alleviate traffic jams at the entrance to the terminal,” the notice added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-airport-calls-for-understanding-as-terminal-renovations-cause-major-delays-59767.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-08

One commenter, swerv, on Phuket News, might be able to give an insight into this stuff up. This from a recent post, of his, "Rorii: The Phuket airport immigration chief is actually a personal friend of me and my wife, so yes i do know a bit about the future of Phuket airport." 

The problem is not a lack of "understanding" by the public, rather a lack of planning by authorities.

Through repeated experience, the public understands all too well how nearly every large project on the Island turns into delayed farce.

Edited by Old Croc

49 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The problem is not a lack of "understanding" by the public, rather a lack of planning by authorities.

Through repeated experience, the public understands all too well how nearly every large project on the Island turns into delayed farce.

To be fair , once in a while there is planning, unfortunately it is piss poor planning.

How do they manage to make such a cock-up every time?

I really did believe they'd renovate one, or even two parts of the terminal at a time, starting with the old international departure lounge and maybe Terminal 2, which could be done during high season, leaving the rest of the domestic area effectively unchanged. These renovated areas could then be operational while work takes place on the rest.

I think that would be logical, though not being an engineer there may be more to it.

8 hours ago, Rorri said:

One commenter, swerv, on Phuket News, might be able to give an insight into this stuff up. This from a recent post, of his, "Rorii: The Phuket airport immigration chief is actually a personal friend of me and my wife, so yes i do know a bit about the future of Phuket airport." 

I liked the other reply to swerve's post in the original PN article about the delays at Immigration in the new terminal:

Swerv I suggest you invite the immigration chief round for dinner and once through the door make he and his wife stand in line and shuffle forward a few feet every 5 minutes. After 2 hours let them have a drink. However, there will then be no time for your wife to discuss Ugandan affairs with the immigration chief. There might be time though to ask him for the real reason behind this shambles.
Read more at http://www.thephuketnews.com/officials-silent-on-phuket-airport-immigration-mess-59631.php#1JJH5Eb1C4mXAdwz.99

Very funny to anyone who reads Private Eye in the UK