Climate activists express concerns for planet after Trump win

webfact

Climate activists express concerns for planet after Trump win

606x341_349174.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- For planet earth, America’s choice for president could have serious implications. Donald Trump has called climate change a hoax, and said he would tear up Paris deal to keep global warming below 2 degrees. At the UN climate change summit in Marrakech one of the delegates put on a brave face.

“I’m not worried, but aware that our work is cut out for us. Like this is not going to be a walk in the park, but we’re up for the challenge and we think we have history, momentum and the world on our side, because every country is acting on it,” Tina Johnson, Policy Director at US Climate Network

For others, Trump’s win cast a toxic cloud over the proceedings. He has previously claimed that climate change was invented by the Chinese to make US manufacturing less competitive.

“Between the U.S. and China, now climate change has been elevated into not only an environmental issue but a geopolitical one between the most important two countries in the world,” said Lim Shuom, Greenpeace’s China Policy Advisor.

Environmentalists may take heart from the fact that any attempt to back out of the Paris deal has certain time limits which would go beyond Trump’s four year term in office. However, as a sceptic, he could simply ignore its obligations.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-11

actually, it's a "win win" for everyone!  for greens and deniers... yeah, we will miss 4 or more years of Hillary and Bill sharing their feelings with us.... signing agreements.. and doing not a damn thing.... so it's a happy happy "win win"..... for everyone!

Edited by maewang99

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Oh please are all these drama queens and doomsayers still wetting the bed.  Get over it you idiots, he won an election so live with it for 4 years.

Anyone who is denying the seriousness of climate change are the idiots. The planet hasn't got 4 years to wait for a rational person to lead the fight. Are we doomsayers supposed to wait until catastrophic events are upon everyone before we act? Just keep your head in the sand and believe all is well with the World  but it is not fair on the rest of us who have to share your filth and pollution!

Edited by tpaul1

5 hours ago, tpaul1 said:

Anyone who is denying the seriousness of climate change are the idiots. The planet hasn't got 4 years to wait for a rational person to lead the fight. Are we doomsayers supposed to wait until catastrophic events are upon everyone before we act? Just keep your head in the sand and believe all is well with the World  but it is not fair on the rest of us who have to share your filth and pollution!

Spare me days! Another poor sole not understanding our Planet! Just take a look at History and I mean the last 100 million years. What is going on here is a natural occurrence. If you don't believe so you must believe your bible and think Adam and Eve are your ancestors!

IMHO - If Trump is heading in this direction it'll be the first sensible policy I have heard out of him

Edited by bdenner
Clarification

8 hours ago, tpaul1 said:

It 's the PC Green lot who are deluded. One minute you say the floods are coming due to global warming and the next breath it's another ice age. Go fly off to another junket and talk about it on Hawaii or somewhere nice.

Have a look at the latest from the doom mongers:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/729767/Ice-age-prediction-sun-hibernates-global-cooling-climate-change

Trump acknowledges climate change — at his golf course

The billionaire, who called global warming a hoax, warns of its dire effects in his company's application to build a sea wall.

Trump is hoping to have a two-mile stone wall built between his County Clare course and the Atlantic Ocean. According to the Associated Press, the beach in front of the 18th green is eroding at a rate of about one yard per year.

This isn't the first time Trump has been involved in a legal matter involving the environment and one of his Europe courses. In December, Trump lost a third court decision in his longtime battle against the creation of a wind farm near his Trump International Golf Links in Balmedie Scotland.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/donald-trump-climate-change-golf-course-223436

4 hours ago, bdenner said:

Spare me days! Another poor sole not understanding our Planet! Just take a look at History and I mean the last 100 million years. What is going on here is a natural occurrence. If you don't believe so you must believe your bible and think Adam and Eve are your ancestors!   IMHO - If Trump is heading in this direction it'll be the first sensible policy I have heard out of him

Yes, a lot of climate change has happened in the last 100 million years.  Thanks for reminding  us.  But that's not the issue.  The issue is now and the next several hundred years.  About half of humanity reside along coastlines and near deserts where the effects of climate change will be most felt.  They're not like you, and can't just pick up and move to higher ground when the floods or sand dunes come.  (yes, sand dunes. Research the region north of Beijing.  The Gobi desert is spreading southward, fast).  

I'll go with the findings of 97% of climate scientists, plus the first-had accounts of people who experience warming up close, like residents in northern (and mountainous) regions who see glaciers receding very fast, and not being replenished.  ....and who observe methane bubbling up in warming permafrost - much more than previously recorded.

You may think, "so what if glaciers are receding?! What harm is it doing for me?"   It's indicative of the overall trend toward global warming.  Just one place, California, is going through its 6th drought year.  Ordinarily, glaciers in the Sierra Nevada Mnts stockpile ice for feeding the state the warmer months.  That's turning off.  Yet, that's just a tiny fraction of the effects being felt ww from a warming planet.

Just now, boomerangutang said:

Yes, a lot of climate change has happened in the last 100 million years.  Thanks for reminding  us.  But that's not the issue.  The issue is now and the next several hundred years.  About half of humanity reside along coastlines and near deserts where the effects of climate change will be most felt.  They're not like you, and can't just pick up and move to higher ground when the floods or sand dunes come.  (yes, sand dunes. Research the region north of Beijing.  The Gobi desert is spreading southward, fast).  

I'll go with the findings of 97% of climate scientists, plus the first-had accounts of people who experience warming up close, like residents in northern (and mountainous) regions who see glaciers receding very fast, and not being replenished.  ....and who observe methane bubbling up in warming permafrost - much more than previously recorded.

You may think, "so what if glaciers are receding?! What harm is it doing for me?"   It's indicative of the overall trend toward global warming.  Just one place, California, is going through its 6th drought year.  Ordinarily, glaciers in the Sierra Nevada Mnts stockpile ice for feeding the state the warmer months.  That's turning off.  Yet, that's just a tiny fraction of the effects being felt ww from a warming planet.

Grow up. The biggest threat to the human race and the planet is human overpopulation, ask Sir David Attenborough. The rest are just theories that change with the wind. It keeps the "researchers and scientists" in a job and the expense account trips to exotic places on the agenda. If the greens were serious they would video-conference.

Next time you hug a tree I hope a coconut falls and knocks some sense into you.

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Grow up. The biggest threat to the human race and the planet is human overpopulation, ask Sir David Attenborough. The rest are just theories that change with the wind. It keeps the "researchers and scientists" in a job and the expense account trips to exotic places on the agenda. If the greens were serious they would video-conference. Next time you hug a tree I hope a coconut falls and knocks some sense into you.

I've spoken out numerous times about the problems of overpopulation.  Climate change involves numerous inter-related issues.  The rest of what you say is hot air and shallow.  

4 minutes ago, nottocus said:

Climate is overrated anyway. If it's warm, wear less clothes. If it's cold, put more on. 

You would have been great as a leader of emergency services when New Orleans was flooding:  "get a rubber dingy and quit wimping out!"    or in Haiti during the hurricane:  "Get in your bomb shelters and eat your Swanson TV dinners you silly Haitians.  Don't worry about a windy day."   

BTW.  Hurricanes and typhoons are formed by warm seas.  The warmer the seas, the bigger the storms.  Have you noticed any larger-than-normal hurricanes and typhoons in recent years?  If you're a GW denier, you wouldn't have noticed anything different (eyes and ears tightly shut).

13 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

You would have been great as a leader of emergency services when New Orleans was flooding:  "get a rubber dingy and quit wimping out!"    or in Haiti during the hurricane:  "Get in your bomb shelters and eat your Swanson TV dinners you silly Haitians.  Don't worry about a windy day."   

BTW.  Hurricanes and typhoons are formed by warm seas.  The warmer the seas, the bigger the storms.  Have you noticed any larger-than-normal hurricanes and typhoons in recent years?  If you're a GW denier, you wouldn't have noticed anything different (eyes and ears tightly shut).

Wow. Really? I never knew that. 

31 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I don't know the exact figures anymore, but I think last year we had the hottest summer in decades in Thailand, so yes you're right global warming is a fact.

But hey wait, the winter before that summer was the coldest in decades in Thailand, and this year the meteorological department has predicted we will have the longest winter since long time, so now I'm confused.

Edited by SimpleChap

37 minutes ago, SimpleChap said:

I don't know the exact figures anymore, but I think last year we had the hottest summer in decades in Thailand, so yes you're right global warming is a fact.

But hey wait, the winter before that summer was the coldest in decades in Thailand, and this year the meteorological department has predicted we will have the longest winter since long time, so now I'm confused.

Well you're not as confused as boomerangutang. The trouble with the "statistics" is simple, they only go back about 100 or so years which is completely insignificant in terms of the history of planet earth's weather.

Also statistics can be made to show just about whatever you chose them to.

19 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

The trouble with the "statistics" is simple, they only go back about 100 or so years which is completely insignificant in terms of the history of planet earth's weather.

The "statistics" actually go back 800,000 years courtesy of the ice core data, we know ice core data is accurate because it corresponds with(but not only) the data recorded manually(human observations since records began).

Edited by onthesoi

13 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

The "statistics" actually go back 800,000 years courtesy of the ice core data, we know ice core data is accurate because it corresponds with(but not only) the data recorded manually(human observations since records began).

Interesting you mention the ice cores, as I was going to.

What they show is a fluctuation over thousands of years of the CO2 content of the air in the snowfall and ice . It is inconclusive as they show CO2 levels have been up and down over all those years, when humans had not long had fire never mind hairsprays, cars, airplanes etc.

Thanks for bringing that up.

6 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

I don't think there are many GW deniers, but the argument is if it's man made or not.These things become political and a great method harvesting money to prop up governments and redistribution programs

9 hours ago, SimpleChap said:

That's like Donald Trump (true story) stepping out of his Trump Tower to get into a limousine.  It was snowing that day in NYC, so Trump sagely opines, "It feels pretty cold.  It disproves all the global warming talk."

To SimpleChap:  climate science is complicated.  Lots of blips up and down.  Lots of variables.  The trick is to stand back and look at trends, then use trends to make predictions.   

8 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Interesting you mention the ice cores, as I was going to.  What they show is a fluctuation over thousands of years of the CO2 content of the air in the snowfall and ice . It is inconclusive as they show CO2 levels have been up and down over all those years, when humans had not long had fire never mind hairsprays, cars, airplanes etc.  Thanks for bringing that up.

One many proofs of warming trends predicated on human activities:   much of Greenland's ice is getting coated with black soot.  When ice is white, it's less likely to melt from the sun's rays.  When it's blackish, it absorbs hear and hastens melting.  I'm not saying it's all black, but instead saying there's a thin powdery covering of black soot all over the island.  

Looking closely at the dust reveals it comes primarily from two sources:   burning of crops/forests (mostly man-induced) and fossil fuels.   Each of the past 5 years, the poles have been losing about 50 cubic Km of ice which is not getting replaced.  When will it be 100 cubic Km's ?  or 1,000 sq.Km's/year ?   And there's Antarctica's calving glaciers, some pieces bigger than Manhattan.  Again, that's ice which is not getting replenished (Antarctica is essentially a desert in terms of precipitation).

None of that means diddly squat to Trump and his supporters.  You might as well be talking about an impending sinkhole (that you observed growing) under their house.   "You found what?  Ha ha ha.  I built this house with 10 cubic yards of concrete in the foundation.  No stinking sink-hole is going to happen.  Quit being an alarmist, ha ha ha.  Have another beer."

Edited by boomerangutang

2 hours ago, dcutman said:

According to many scientists we are past the point of no return anyway? I think that means we are all jacked no matter who is president.

Are you saying there's nothing people can do?  That's like noticing rust spots under the frame of your car and saying, "well, I guess the rust is just gonna get worse.  Nothing we can do.  Might as well just keep driving and let the car fall apart, as it will someday."  Alternatively, there are ways to deal with rusting metal, such as cleaning the undercarriage and/or spraying a protective coating.    

Similarly, there are ways to lessen the warming trend of the planet.  It's a big job, and that's why the Paris accord (and its prior ww meetings) involved tough negotiating.  However, there was an agreement of sorts, which in itself, was amazing.  Now Trump wants to trash the US's involvement, which will dilute involvement (with the agreed-upon accords) by other countries.  

Just to be clear:  no one is saying that people can stop global warming (yes, I still use the old term).  What is hoped is: the warming trends will be slowed:  from very fast, to fast.  One of the many effects of GW is people migrations.   Look at where migrants hail from:  usually from deserts.  Where do they go?  Syrians/Afghans/Iraqis/North Africans don't go to nearby fellow Muslim countries.  No.  They're desperately 

trying to get to countries which still have water, green grass, and jobs.   Similar in N.America.  Desertification of Mexico is a main (but not the only) reason many Latinos want to go to the US.  

If Trump wants to keep Latinos from traveling north, he'd be smarter to encourage environmentally friendly adjustments to dry regions, rather than building a 30 foot tall, $30 billion wall topped with razor wire, which will require about $50 billion in maintenance, add-ons, roads & personnel in its first 20 years.

9 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Are you saying there's nothing people can do?  That's like noticing rust spots under the frame of your car and saying, "well, I guess the rust is just gonna get worse.  Nothing we can do.  Might as well just keep driving and let the car fall apart, as it will someday."  Alternatively, there are ways to deal with rusting metal, such as cleaning the undercarriage and/or spraying a protective coating.    

Similarly, there are ways to lessen the warming trend of the planet.  It's a big job, and that's why the Paris accord (and its prior ww meetings) involved tough negotiating.  However, there was an agreement of sorts, which in itself, was amazing.  Now Trump wants to trash the US's involvement, which will dilute involvement (with the agreed-upon accords) by other countries.  

Just to be clear:  no one is saying that people can stop global warming (yes, I still use the old term).  What is hoped is: the warming trends will be slowed:  from very fast, to fast.  One of the many effects of GW is people migrations.   Look at where migrants hail from:  usually from deserts.  Where do they go?  Syrians/Afghans/Iraqis/North Africans don't go to nearby fellow Muslim countries.  No.  They're desperately 

trying to get to countries which still have water, green grass, and jobs.   Similar in N.America.  Desertification of Mexico is a main (but not the only) reason many Latinos want to go to the US.  

If Trump wants to keep Latinos from traveling north, he'd be smarter to encourage environmentally friendly adjustments to dry regions, rather than building a 30 foot tall, $30 billion wall topped with razor wire, which will require about $50 billion in maintenance, add-ons, roads & personnel in its first 20 years.

Go preach to somebody else.