Observation Decks

Departing recently, we had an hour or so to kill and the GF decided she wanted to watch some planes from the "observation deck" signposted in the check-in / departures area. Took a while to work out how to get there of course, and it turned out to be an enclosed platform about 7 stories up within the check-in / departures area with stunning views over the check-in desks and also of passport control. It was possible to see "outside", but the view was of planes standing at gates, not e.g. thundering down the runway, and obscured by some kind of pipework placed at average farang eyelevel.

There was a constant stream of people trailing up, realising there was nothing to see and not even anywhere to sit down, and trailing back down again.

The whole thing struck me as a bit pointless, and certainly not worth being called an "observation deck".

Now, if they brought in a few roadside food vendors and put out some plastic stools up there I'm sure they'd do a roaring trade even if the prices were a bit above the norm. We ended up going to the rather upmarket bar / restaurant on the floor below, which was largely empty, and paying through the nose for a couple of bottles of Singha.

Hi, the problems you mentioned regarding the observation deck, is it pertaining only to the new airport or were they present in the old one too? :o

The pipework you saw obstructing the view, did they look permanent or temporary? :D

I'm talking about Suvarnabhumi (never been to Don Muang).

The pipework (or girders or something, can't recall exactly) seemed to be something structural, not part of the platform itself but running along the airside windows.

I remember when I left Bangkok in October, there were people who had parked their cars along the access road to the airport and who were just standing by the side eating snacks and looking at the planes.

No observation decks necessary for them.