Karen ladies start tourist camp in CM province.

jobin

Thanks for that....I always like to see this type of grass-root initiative.

I hope they can break through or get around the shield of vested-interest from the established tour companies that dominate the tourist market here.

If they don't pay the usually high commissions to the bookies their company will be blocked out of the market and simply won't see the light of day.

(excert from above article)

"I think tourists feel like they're getting ripped off with a generic experience because tour companies are so focused on profit," Pham said. "A lot of people get swept into these joint-group tours for 30 people and everyone has the same exact experience that's manufactured and not authentic. People don't want that anymore. Travelers are much more savvy."

With a premise like this they will be needing an independent marketing strategy .    Best of luck to the girls!

chailaisister.jpg

Edited by HaleySabai

Except for the effect of the Christian ministries I have always found the Karen most genial. I do have little appreciation for christians,  but they did teach the Karen to sing well (to our ear) . I have slept in a dozen karen households on the floor mats with a 6 to 12 family members, curled together for warmth. Unfortunately the White guy gets to cuddle against grandma and grand pa......well, in winter.....even they are warm enough to cuddle up against    ;-)    Beggars can't be choosers. ;-)

Mr. Teak, although I am now old enough to be called "peu peu" by the youngest generation in the village, you will not be allowed to snuggle up to me but will be provided by with your own bedroom.

But back to the subject, these women, as have others, can make a go of it by learning to use social media. But the challenge is getting people from the big city out to Mae Win. There are already several other small Karen owned ventures out in that direction that might be able to join forces.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect