Diesel fuel for boat

Iolare

After about a year of working on my boat I am now about ready to re-launch it.  It's a 9 meter boat with a 6 cylinder Hino truck engine.  I had a stainless steel fuel tank fabricated and have new fuel lines and filter, and I want to get off on the right foot, so I am posting this for some advice.  

I was told by a friend that the Shell V-tec fuel was the best choice for diesel engines due to an additive that cleans the injectors, so I went to the Shell station near me, but they didn't like my transport jugs so they wouldn't fill them.   So, I ended up buying a little CalTex fuel to restart the engine instead, and everything seems OK.  I would like to fill up the tank with whatever fuel would be the best for the boat.

I have been warned that some diesel sold here in Thailand doesn't hold up over a long time in the tank due to the addition of bio-fuel to the petroleum, I would like to avoid that if it is possible.  Is Shell any better than the others due to that additive?  I would like to hear from boaters who have experience and knowledge in selecting diesel fuel for trouble-free boating.

We always ran two fuel filters/water separators in our marine diesels. 

We would also purchase a diesel fuel additive because even your better diesel fuels perform better with a quality after-market additive than at the pump. You will gain cetane value and lubricity and fuel stability during periods of storage. In a marine environment I would treat with a biocide at fixed intervals of maybe 4-6 months to keep your new tanks clean.

There are many varieties of Bio-Diesel with varying pro/con. Bio-diesel typically provides very good lubrication even at only 2%-5%. 

Try to find a fueling station with a high turnover so you get the freshest fuel available. Pay close attention to your fuel filter clear housing for any sign of contaminant or water.

Edited by ClutchClark

agree with the poster above, install 2 filters/separators

dunno if your boat is by the sea or in river/canal

my boat is in river/canal,

my experience is that the purchased fuel (diesel or benzine) is incredibly dirty and full of water

I reckon Shell V Power is mostly marketing.  A couple of years ago Thai diesel Sulphur content reduced from 350 to 50 ppm and the percentage of added palm oil set by the government.  Local diesel is now pretty similar regardless of supplier.  

If the OPs Hino is a relatively recent design (15 years) it will not be worried by any of this. 

If it is an older design, the modern fuel may not be ideal but not a disaster.  

Dirt and water contamination are the biggest threats for diesel fuel so ditto the comments above.   

I appreciate the information so far guys.  I will add a second filter/water separator.  I'll look into aftermarket fuel additives, and a biocide.  I'm located on Phang Nga bay, so it's a salt water environment.  In my location the bay is shallow and I can only get to my boat ramp at high tide, so I will probably keep it out in the bay a little ways on a buoy.  At high tide I can get it into my dock so I can fuel it myself with diesel bought from a busy gas station, so it should be fresh.  Sounds like any brand of fuel will do if I add the additive.  Thanks again.

Yes, Racor is good stuff.

(dunno about nothing else come close though)

Anyway, I am pretty sure that there will be shops in Phuket selling Racor stuff.

Not too far away from the OP.

Also, ASAP Marine in Pattaya would have Racor.

There is a pretty good diesel filter shop in BKK, in Thanon Luang . close to the Worachak intersection.

They don't sport Racor but have some pretty good products from UK.