Would You Ever Set Foot in a Place Like This?

Inspire

Would You Ever Set Foot in a Place Like This?

Orlando Barton

bart-main.jpg

In  keeping with this month’s theme of “things I forgot I loved about Bangkok”, I’d like to talk about a place that is representative of the city’s mystique.

Bangkok has a lot of nicknames. “The Big Mango”, “The Big Smoke”, and my favorite … “The Tenth Planet”. For sure there are places you can go and things you can see in Bangkok that are other-worldly. Bangkok puts the “real” in surreal.

In recent years, the city has sprouted its share of gentrified neighborhoods complete with ice cream stores, kids clothing shops and Subway sandwich franchises. But, in Bangkok you’re always only a stone’s throw away from some primordial netherworld. Some down-an-alley and up-some-metal-stairs kind of joint sure to be chockful of questionable people doing questionable stuff.

Bangkok is full of places you read about in Robert Ludlum novels. Places where double agents negotiate terms for trading some state secrets. Places where Jason Bourne goes off and kicks the crap out of ten or twelve CIA guys.

That’s the story this picture is telling. It was taken in the Bamboo Lebanese Restaurant and Bar on Sukhumvit Soi 3, aka, The Arab Quarter.

Bamboo isn’t the kind of place a tourist just trundles into and orders some falafels. It’s one of those intimidating places that draws you in with an overwhelming aroma of good food, but reveals nothing else until you commit to entering. There’s a shwarma and kebab set up outside for the timid. You could grab a handful of greasy goodness and be on your way.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/ever-set-foot-place-like/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2016-11-12

Did you take this picture with a spy-button-camera strategically concealed on your knee, to enhance shady underworld twist of your article?

If so, then it didn't work.

If not, then I suggest to practice your camera work... a lot. :wai:

Edited by klauskunkel