Rice strimmer

Griff4114

That looks more like a brush cutter to me. Honda do a very good 4 stroke model. You don't say where you are but they are available in places like HomePro,  Homeworks, Global House who sell them but don't carry spares.

Large hardware shops sell them too and if you find a good one they carry all the spares too.

That has  only a shoulder harness but Honda do a 4 point harness which is muck easier to use.

The hardest thing I have found to buy in Thailand is a good safety helmet with a stell mesh screen. You will also need good leather gloves, knee pads are handy for work on stony ground and a cricket "box" could be useful. A rock in the family jewels will bring tears to your eyes. I know from painful experience.

I usually spend 1 to 1 1/2 hours in the morning 5 days a week keeping the grass and scrub down on 3 or 4 rai. I get the satisfaction of doing it myself (and knoing it is dne the way I want it done) plus I get exercise too.

Be aware that if you are tall the brush cutters are made for Thai sized people and you will be bending all the time which will give you backache.

OK

Sorry about that. I think that you may have to go to an agricultural hardware shop.

Try taking a photo of the bit you need and hunt around on Google for something similar. If that doesn't work then print the photo and hawk it around locally. Some of the Thai farmers may be able to help by giving it a name in Thai and perhaps pointing you to the right shop or even buying it for/with you.

4 hours ago, Griff4114 said:

Thanks for the reply it's the bit on the end I want it makes the collection of rice and tall grass easy. I have a bush cutter

I found this on YouTube. I think that there are a couple of ways that you could do it.

A quick and simple way would be to turn the stone guard upside down and use it that way.

Alternatively if you can find a good metal worker/welder perhaps you could get them to make you from sheet metal, a semi circular dish with a bracket welded to the bottom and bolt that onto the strimmer arm, much like the Chinese guy in the first video has done.

I have never seen anything like that around here but we dont grow that much rice due to hilly country and a lack of enough water supply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Rt54i1jPY

I was in a shop in Ubon just a week ago getting my strimmer fixed and I noticed another customer was waiting for one of those attachments to be fixed to a new strimmer. I was puzzled and asked what was the attachment for. I was told it was for harvesting rice. The phone number of the shop is 045-323061. Perhaps they can tell you where they are made (if you're not in the Ubon area). 

1 hour ago, JungleBiker said:

Just to add, I understand that the attachment works best with a blade that looks like a circular saw (lots of teeth around the circular blade) rather than the blade I have which is more like a rectangle with just 2 cutting edges. 

I used to use a circular saw blade with 24 teeth for cutting down scrub trees. I also bought one 255mm by 80 teeth for 300 baht which might be better for cutting the rice.

On stony ground I use a steel disk with 2mm square nylon which stops the nicks and bent steel blades and allows me to get right to the edge of the concrete and rocks.

I just bought one, ฿450 including the blade. I was in a shop that sells all sorts of agro stuff and plumbing stuff, I was getting a water pump fixed, and saw one. I figured for ฿450, what the heck, the blade was ฿200 on its own. However I have been told by the boss, they are no good. I'll try to get my B-I-L to at least try it and see how it goes.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Issangeorge said:

I just bought one, ฿450 including the blade. I was in a shop that sells all sorts of agro stuff and plumbing stuff, I was getting a water pump fixed, and saw one. I figured for ฿450, what the heck, the blade was ฿200 on its own. However I have been told by the boss, they are no good. I'll try to get my B-I-L to at least try it and see how it goes.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

What sort of blade was it?

On 11/13/2016 at 5:40 PM, Hereinthailand said:

Hers is an ad for one. Looks like a good idea I guess they seem to be popular over in cambodia too. I just would get a pair of heavy boots and some kevlar pants before I used it. http://forum.khonkaenlink.info/index.php?topic=17584746.0

Excellent link.

TW says it won't work if the rice is laid down by storms or whatever. Lots of that around here.

This comes from a dairy farm ,the guy cuts grass with it for his dairy cows ,he says leaves the grass in straight rows ,easer to pick up .

He made it himself ,have seen other home made ones. most are just a  square  frame  bolted  on to the  strummer .

Ps, Cat not included.

RIMG0323.JPG

RIMG0324.JPG

Archived