Ford ranger auto not changing down

madmax2

Our 2013 ford ranger has not changed down gears twice now when you pull up to a stop

What ever gear its in before you slow down it stays in, if you stop and restart the engine

the transmission works properly again

Has anyone else had this problem and knows how its fixed, new part or adjustment

I would like to know before going to see the ford dealer about it if possible

Many thanks for any helpfull replies

Thanks for the answers,it is just about due for its 60,000 service, i will take it to ford in Phangnga to get it done and ask them to check it at the same time, hopefully they are better than ford phuket who only seem capable of doing the regular services which are done by a trades assistant in Australia

Does your Ranger have the '+' and '-' shift options when in D? That's pull the stick towards you into S and select your gears forward or aft. Ford call it the 'sport' option but it's their version of pre-select that I used on the buses in a previous life. If it does, see if you can manually downshift if it's stuck in high gear. Sounds like a transmission programming issue or maybe time for a check since (I think) the 60k service doesn't include any transmission work beyond a fluid check.

s-l300.jpg

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Does your Ranger have the '+' and '-' shift options when in D? That's pull the stick towards you into S and select your gears forward or aft. Ford call it the 'sport' option but it's their version of pre-select that I used on the buses in a previous life. If it does, see if you can manually downshift if it's stuck in high gear. Sounds like a transmission programming issue or maybe time for a check since (I think) the 60k service doesn't include any transmission work beyond a fluid check.

s-l300.jpg

Yes it does but when the transmission is not working in drive  and i switch it to sports mode it still says D and will not change gears until i stop and restart the engine, then it works properly.

Really annoying if you are in heavy traffic when it happens

Took the truck to anuphas ford at Kokkloy  phang nga today for its 60,000 lkm service and they spent about 2 hours checking and testing the transmission, they have informed me it is a faulty valve which they will replace free of charge even though the warranty has expired and had to order it from FMC Bangkok and will let me know when the part arrives so they can install it

I had a lot of problems with the truck transmission when it was still under warranty and i was taking it to Anuphus ford Phuket and i was very unhappy with their work and service, i switched to Anuphas ford in phang gna and have been very happy with their work and service, if i buy another ford which could happen if their parts supply improves it will definitely be from them

Archived