Bangkok Expat Demographics

MyFriend You

If anyone has read any of my posts, they know I am no stranger to Thailand, but is there a reliable "map" of the Bangkok area on 'who lives where'  (like Chinatown is Thai Chinese)  I'd like to know which sections are popular with say Indians, Arabs, West Africans, Russians, British, Americans etc etc etc.  I have worked with all the mentioned  groups and lived in their countries, but wouldn't want to 'live' with them in the same Apartment building here.  Its hard to choose or target an area if you know nothing about the demographics.  I am not racist, but do have prejudices and prefer not to live with certain groups.  I'll drink with them, eat with them, visit with them, but don't necessarily want to live with them.  So thats out, can anyone tell me what sections of the city ethnicities gravitate too??

1,407 posts on TV and he wants to know where the "ethnics" live.  How about just walking around a neighborhood and checking it out.  Too lazy to do that - wants the TV experts to advise him.  This is going to work out well for him.  Let the flames continue...

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

The Japanese area is Sukhumvit 31 - 55, odd numbered sois. This is one reason why rents can be on the high side in that location.

they got any good japanese restaurants in that area? the arabs congregate around suk soi 3 and that's where the best arab food is to be found...

anybody see the new place on soi nana across from where the Hilary 2 bar useta be?...not bad shwarma, falafels and etc...plus some popular indian items on their menu...I got a load of takeaway from there and was pleased when I got back to the hotel...and reasonably priced as well, I figured around 300 without looking at the prices and was spot on when the bill came...

A lot of Chinese around MRT Rama 9, a lot of Africans, Filipinos around On Nut.  Ethnic Quarters will generally develop out of necessity because immigrants or guest workers often pool their resources for shared living expenses. The European / Western population on average has far more than enough to live independantly thus you won't find any particular concentrations outside of general areas. E.g. Sukhumvit, Silom etc.   

9 hours ago, hdkane said:

First off, the guy is NOT racist...because all races segregate themselves, if they are given freedom to do so...

if you just get away from sukumvit, you will be around thais...if that is not to your liking, then...

Quote: "First off, the guy is NOT racist...because all races segregate themselves, if they are given freedom to do so..."

Comment is accurate. Given the chance folks try to stay among themselves.

Of course, I realize that such a comment is considered "politically incorrect", these days.

For those in disagreement: Would you (voluntarily) book a hotel room in the "Arab Quarter" in Pattaya on your next holiday ?

Cheers.

6 hours ago, swissie said:

Quote: "First off, the guy is NOT racist...because all races segregate themselves, if they are given freedom to do so..."

Comment is accurate. Given the chance folks try to stay among themselves.

Of course, I realize that such a comment is considered "politically incorrect", these days.

For those in disagreement: Would you (voluntarily) book a hotel room in the "Arab Quarter" in Pattaya on your next holiday ?

Cheers.

Why would I even be visiting Pattaya? Surely I'd be happier in Bognor with other white brits, since I have the freedom to choose where to visit.

In reality, I wouldn't voluntarily be booking a room anywhere in Pattaya, but this is nothing to do with Middle Eastern people whatsoever. It's mostly because of fat white perverts and unattractive uneducated prostitutes to be honest.

5 hours ago, blackcab said:

Yes, but speak Thai or Japanese because there is not a lot of English going on.

that's odd...in HCMC I lived inna apartment block with mostly japanese tenants and there was a popular jap restaurant next door and the food was quite nice...and when you came thru the door the VN restaurant staff greeted you in english...

21 hours ago, hdkane said:

First off, the guy is NOT racist...because all races segregate themselves, if they are given freedom to do so...

if you just get away from sukumvit, you will be around thais...if that is not to your liking, then...

Yes he is racist and the other statement only applies to racists from another race.

Gee, only my third post and get slammed - Thanx for the serious replys, the others??  well, they know what they can do - I asked these questions because I don't know Bangkok now, as well as I did in the 80's & 90's...........should have know this would bring out the bad in some people.  I have no problems with Thais, in fact, I can go weeks at a time without speaking english, only Thai, its the idiot foreigners that ruined the old neighborhoods.  I have been looking from Ekamai out to soi 101..........and beyond.  and for the one poster  -  I lived in Phnom Penh for two years - there is nothing you can tell me about that city.    

5 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

its the idiot foreigners that ruined the old neighborhoods.  I have been looking from Ekamai out to soi 101..........and beyond.  and for the one poster  -  I lived in Phnom Penh for two years - there is nothing you can tell me about that city.    

Living in Phnom Penh for two years makes you an authority on the place, does it?

You talk as if you're some kind of benchmark for a quality foreigner because you can speak Thai but it takes much more than that to be a quality person.

On 15/11/2016 at 1:19 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Yes he is racist and the other statement only applies to racists from another race.

So what if he is?  What's it got to do with you or anyone else here?  If you don't approve of his opinions don't follow the thread.

4 hours ago, gdgbb said:
On 11/14/2016 at 8:31 AM, The Dancer said:

I speak for all ethnicities including yours. You are not wanted. Go away. Vamoose. Pai klai. Vasta.

No, you don't, you speak only for yourself.

Check with the other ethnicities. Even your own ethnic group. You'll find that I actually do speak for them. Nothing special about me but people are mostly tolerant - case in point thousands of TVers living happily in LOS - while racism is seriously uncool.

Archived