LPQ Luang Prabang, Vietienne Malaria Meds or not ?

chubby

LPQ Luang Prabang, Vietienne  Malaria  Meds or not ?

hello, I have a bottle of Malarone meds, which I could take during my 10 day trip up to Luang Prabang, which I should be in for 5-6 days, then  bus'ing it back to Vietienne for some "jungle" run. 

I suspect very few if any Thailand expats use any  anti malarials , but  I'm curious  for any feedback, since I already have the bottle,  maybe no harm using it , IIRC was fairly pricy in US too, and maybe it's shelf life is near expired ....

Not really planning on much outside of those areas, maybe just upriver and such  of  LPQ.  day trip 

Cover up, long trousers and sleeves, before dawn and approaching dusk, use repellent on exposed skin.

Malaria prophylactics can't keep up with emerging strains, so covering and repellent are best...........my doctor told me.

I've been doing that for 30+ years and so far, so good, traveling through most Asian countries.

1 hour ago, bark said:

Yes, trust this guy, he is a doctor.

Malaria is present in Laos. It's a fact.  What methods you use to protect yourself are up to you!  But to say you do not need it is not true.  It's a risk, but a small one.  Especially if only in the capital.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Malaria is present in Laos. It's a fact.  What methods you use to protect yourself are up to you!  But to say you do not need it is not true.  It's a risk, but a small one.  Especially if only in the capital.

I've got 60 Malarone tabs, I'll be in Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng probably 6 nights, so lets see that is 8 + 7  ,  15 tabs I would use.  

Perhaps, If I lived there, I'd get used to having to not use  Tabs,  but,  I don't see much of a downside in not using them, other than remembering to take them daily. 

I will never take  Larium / methloquine again, that has definite severe risks, I'm not thinking Malarone has much. 

I probably should just do homework, instead of posting .

looks like it would actually be more advisable for longer rural stays, whatever qualifies as rural.  rather than short stays like my own.......

"

• Low risk with additional advice: antimalarial tablets are not usually recommended, however, they can be considered for certain travellers who may be at higher risk e.g. longer stay in rural areas, visiting friends or relatives, those with medical conditions, immunosuppression or those without a spleen. Atovaquone/proguanil OR doxycyclineOR mefloquine is advised for those at risk.

though, that doesn't jive/match, with the other paragraph 

• Malaria risk is high throughout the year in all areas except the provinces of Bokeo, Houaphanh and in Vientiane. Risk is highest in the provinces of Attapeu, Champasak, Salavan, Savannakhet and Kekong.

map says low risk, statement  says  "high risk "  hmmm 

Just now, chubby said:

define 'the far east' ; and you've never had dengue, or other parasitic type infections, and you don't use vaccines, and you have been to PNG and Assam ?

Far East, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Spent 10 years in those countries, visited them for 40 years and currently 7 years in Thailand. I have had Hep B, but that is about it.

Edited by Colabamumbai

3 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Far East, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Spent 10 years in those countries, visited them for 40 years and currently 7 years in Thailand. I have had Hep B, but that is about it.

seems to me, expats do things differently.  because long term exposure to anti malarials,  is just as bad if not worse, so they have no choice but to not use it.  

i think the target audience for the anti malarials , is probably medium term, in high risk areas,  or as they say  "forested border towns" ;  and never take  Methloquine. 

I guess your fine until your not, I applaud your luck , assuming you've been upcountry  or maybe  "forested areas"  ;  but, if your saying you don't use vaccines,  then I start to wonder .......

On 20/11/2016 at 6:33 AM, chubby said:

I probably should just do homework, instead of posting .

looks like it would actually be more advisable for longer rural stays, whatever qualifies as rural.  rather than short stays like my own.......

"

• Low risk with additional advice: antimalarial tablets are not usually recommended, however, they can be considered for certain travellers who may be at higher risk e.g. longer stay in rural areas, visiting friends or relatives, those with medical conditions, immunosuppression or those without a spleen. Atovaquone/proguanil OR doxycyclineOR mefloquine is advised for those at risk.

Tbh I have been in and out of these places 20+ years and never taken a malaria pill in my life, mountains, beaches, jungle, whatever.

I think about 99% of people I met that took malaria pills always seemed bloody sick too!

so is there any place or length of stay, that you would EVER take a malaria pill?

I  agree  Methloquine  is  dangerous.  Doxy  or any antibiotics as some higher level of side effect,   the  Malarone  majority have no side effects

I had a friend with Malaria few years back in PNG , it really ruined his life for a while 

5 minutes ago, chubby said:

so is there any place or length of stay, that you would EVER take a malaria pill?

I  agree  Methloquine  is  dangerous.  Doxy  or any antibiotics as some higher level of side effect,   the  Malarone  majority have no side effects

I had a friend with Malaria few years back in PNG , it really ruined his life for a while 

Africa!  I'll be back there in a few months and will take a course of Malarone for the areas that are at risk.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/world-malaria-day-2014-top-five-countries-most-affected-by-malaria-1445969

When I first went many years ago, I was on a thread like this in another forum.  Many would post something like, "I've been going to Africa for XXX years and never had a problem!".  But like you say, if you get it, it's a really big deal and can haunt you for the rest of your life.