Now you can visit the Rolling Stones' 1962 apartment

webfact

Now you can visit the Rolling Stones' 1962 apartment 
MESFIN FEKADU, AP Music Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — When Mick Jagger was coming up with ideas for an exhibition highlighting The Rolling Stones' five-decade long career, he wanted to re-create the mood of the band in its early years.

So, he had a team recreate the first London apartment he and his band mates shared in 1962, complete with dirty dishes, beer bottles and blues records placed throughout the flat.

"That was the weirdest thing really. ... The building is still there — it's not a building that's been knocked down or anything, it's right around the corner from where I actually live now," Jagger said. "It's very redolent of the space ... and it smells like it and feels like it.

"I just remembered how it really was," he added.

"There were a lot of places like that in the early '60s ... you wouldn't want to live there now," Charlie Watts said.

The Stones also re-created their recording studio, complete with original instruments, for "Exhibitionism — The Rolling Stones," the band's exhibit that debuted at Industria in New York City on Saturday after launching in London earlier this year. It includes colorful tour outfits, Jagger's lyric book, Keith Richards' 1963 diary, Watts' toy drum kit and various photographs, from posters to magazine covers.

"None of it made me cry particularly. Some of it made me laugh," Jagger said of the memorabilia.

The exhibit run in New York through March 12, 2017. Some of the pieces are works by Andy Warhol, Alexander McQueen and John Pasche, who designed the Stones' iconic tongue logo.

"It's like bumping into memories everywhere you look for me," Richards said. "You turn the corner (and say), 'Oh, that's where I left it. Whether it's a guitar or a piece of clothing, everything sort of rings a bell somewhere."

Ronnie Wood, who joined the group in 1975, said he enjoyed seeing the "little motifs" throughout the exhibit, and added that one of his favorite memories was joining the band for his first public performance — on his birthday.

"I had to learn the entire Stones back catalog to get ready to go onstage on June 1, my birthday, for my first public show with them," he said, smiling.

Of his highlights, Richards said, laughing: "I can pick out a few lows but we won't bother with them, but otherwise, it's been pretty much a high all the time."

The Stones will release a new album of blues cover songs called "Blue & Lonesome" on Dec. 2. When asked what his future goals are for the band, Watts said: "Staying alive I think is the biggest thing at the moment, or getting up in the morning."

____

Online:

http://www.rollingstones.com/

http://www.stonesexhibitionism.com/

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-15

I can't wait!

The Stones after their valid (in my view) rise in the early sixties, were already parodying themselves when Mick Taylor joined in 1969.

Since he left they've being living off nostalgia.

Both Jagger and Richards did some notable stuff independently (in my view) but The Rolling Stones qualify as the greatest rock & roll business rather than band in the world.

30 minutes ago, piersbeckett said:

I can't wait!

The Stones after their valid (in my view) rise in the early sixties, were already parodying themselves when Mick Taylor joined in 1969.

Since he left they've being living off nostalgia.

Both Jagger and Richards did some notable stuff independently (in my view) but The Rolling Stones qualify as the greatest rock & roll business rather than band in the world.

I've only ever seen the Stones live once, at Wembley, maybe nearly 30 years ago. Their show was fantastic. In my opinion they deserve to be regarded as one of the greatest bands ever. Mind you they are included in my list of most favourite bands which are Deep purple, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath (only with Ozzie), Pink Floyd and believe it or not Oasis. Maybe my opinion doesn't count for much :)

1 minute ago, loong said:

I've only ever seen the Stones live once, at Wembley, maybe nearly 30 years ago. Their show was fantastic. In my opinion they deserve to be regarded as one of the greatest bands ever. Mind you they are included in my list of most favourite bands which are Deep purple, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath (only with Ozzie), Pink Floyd and believe it or not Oasis. Maybe my opinion doesn't count for much :)

Yes, I went to Randwick in Sydney c 1972 or 73, thinking it would be a last chance to see them live. 

7 hours ago, loong said:

Oasis - monotone rubbish. At least Status Quo could manage three chords..

Otherwise I would agree more or less.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Still not as good as the Troggs.

Who is to say?... if we could go back in time and have the Stones and the Troggs on the same bill that the Troggs wouldn't come out on top? But as a previous poster has said, the Stones may be regarded as the world's greatest rock 'n roll business, and unfortunately Reg Presley lead singer in the Troggs died in 2013, whereas Keith Richard (almost the same vintage, born a couple of years after Presley) is still going (somehow!) despite many a mishap - I mean, you don't get this kind of thing said about you for nothing...

Music journalist Nick Kent attached to Richards Lord Byron's epithet of "mad, bad, and dangerous to know". Jagger thought that Richards' image had "contributed to him becoming a junkie". In 1994 Richards said his image was "like a long shadow ... even though that was nearly twenty years ago, you cannot convince some people that I'm not a mad drug addict." In 2010, journalist Peter Hitchens wrote of Richards that he is "a capering streak of living gristle who ought to be exhibited as a warning to the young of what drugs can do to you even if you're lucky enough not to choke on your own vomit."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Richards

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2016 at 5:48 PM, Ace of Pop said:

Am I the only one who never liked them.emoji86.png

Pretty much I suspect. The Beatles and the Stones are - by far - the two greatest rock groups of all time (IMO). They were both amazing in the 60s and early 70s (former Beatles solo stuff).