Phuket Airport - latest changes, challenges, news

backstairs

With building renovation things get filled, moved, re-routed or vanish.  I hope this thread helps us all to get up-to-date answers to some of the following:

• parking in the multi-storey: briefly or over night : danger times and days: double parking
  • parking elsewhere: over the road, full or not
  • check-in : domestic/international : terminal?: 
  • departure: 
  • arrival: immigration
  • finding a taxi: where do you go to get ticket and where to find cab etc etc etc

Since this month i had no more problems to park at the multi-storey parking.

It looks like most rental cars are not more inside the parking and the parking situation at hkt is easy again.

When i crossed the parking in front of the domestic terminal last week 70% were free. 

IMHO don't have to worry more about parking at hkt.

1_20161111162741183_IrQXOZOCOfuYUugdonYsdnlRDIPzJCLRtboHBDKQ_jpeg.jpeg.70a8af1193c5d32ae52c0795cf1f27b0.jpeg

I flew out internationally last Friday and arrived back last night.  I didn't experience the chaos of not knowing where anything is as some signs were posted on where to go.  Upon arrival and into the immigration hall, there were three separate queues with each queue having 4 immigration desks open.  Service was notably quicker than the old terminal ( at least in my queue) per pax at the window and I made it through in about 25 minutes with 60-70 people in front of me. The queues for immigration were about 35% of what they had cordoned off, so I can see when it is busy and the queues are full, it will still take a while to clear immigration.

Had a mate arrive from Singapore last night 5pm.....

1 hr to clear immigration only 3 ques in use, Then after clearing immigration  it seems Customs has a new toy to play with the new high tech x ray machine  ALL BAGS required to be check....Guy in front if him forced to pay 10K baht for not declaring something. Not a happy camper..

Could be a good money maker for the customs peeps....

18 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

That's very good news if part of the old ground car park can be used for car parking.

It opened overnight November 7th, and was already in use morning of the 8th.

It was signposted a few days before,  and after it re-opened it immediately eased parking issues!

49 minutes ago, geisha said:

Does anybody know what you are not allowed to import into Thailand ? Where are the rules ?

ALLOWANCE & RELIEF

The duty free allowance will be applied to accompanied personal effects up to Bath 10,000 worth if i) the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses; ii) the quantity are reasonable; and iii) the items are not subject to prohibition or restriction.

However, there are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars and smoking tobacco to which you may include in your duty free personal exemption as follows:

• 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of cigars or smoking tobacco; and
  • 1 litre of alcoholic beverages.

Personal effects do not include motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts regardless of the length of time used and owned.....

I fly in regularily with 10kg food, aminos, whey and some presents. Passed costums everytime but since the new terminal you need a good story in thai and some smiles to pass free of duty.

29 minutes ago, stuarty said:

So if I bring in my regular 2 bottles of wine (total 1.5 liters) what will they do? Will they find it?  Will they fine me or confiscate a bottle?

Declare it and you may or may get dinged for duty.

Take a chance, don't declare it and they find it you could face a fine as well as confiscation. You could also find yourself flagged for the future.

Up to you.

2 hours ago, geisha said:

Does anybody know what you are not allowed to import into Thailand ? Where are the rules ?

From 

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1002-customs-services

And should be the same. But according to this, customs could stop and fine almost anyone :wink:

- Controlled items are some items which are controlled by laws for importing into or exporting from the country. To import or export restricted/controlled items requires a permit with written authorization from the stated government agency in order to pass Customs formalities. For example,

* Buddha images, artifacts, antiques by the Fine Arts Department  
* Firearms, ammunition, explosives by the Department of Provincial Administration, Ministry of Interior
* Plants and other parts of plants by the Department of Agriculture
* Live animals and animal remains by the Department of Livestock Development or the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation
* Food and drugs by the Food and Drugs Administration
* Vehicle parts by the Ministry of Industry
* Cigarette, tobacco, and alcohol by the Excise Department
* Radio communication devices and telecommunication equipments by  the Office of Specific Business Licenses, Office of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission

9 hours ago, glassdude007 said:

Had a mate arrive from Singapore last night 5pm.....

1 hr to clear immigration only 3 ques in use, Then after clearing immigration  it seems Customs has a new toy to play with the new high tech x ray machine  ALL BAGS required to be check....Guy in front if him forced to pay 10K baht for not declaring something. Not a happy camper..

Could be a good money maker for the customs peeps....

When I went to clear customs, there was indeed a queue of people putting their bags on the machine, but there were also people just walking around it, so I walked around it also and skipped the x ray machine.  Mind you only had a big carry on and a laptop bag, no huge bags of illegal goods.

5 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Declare it and you may or may not get dinged for duty.

Take a chance, don't declare it and they find it you could face a fine as well as confiscation. You could also find yourself flagged for the future.

Up to you.

For some reason I can't get in to edit so have done it this way. 

2 hours ago, Altalake said:

What is the cost per day to park in the new car park please?

B200 in the structure, not sure if there's a different rate for the open Domestic parking but I'd expect it to be the same. I'm gonna look at the bloke across the street next time who is B100 a day.

42 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

B200 in the structure, not sure if there's a different rate for the open Domestic parking but I'd expect it to be the same. I'm gonna look at the bloke across the street next time who is B100 a day.

The way I read the member report about the 100 baht place is that they drive you back to the airport in your car thus they must have the keys. Not so sure I want to let an unknown person have control of my car while I was away for a known number of days. Car insurance implication and I seem to remember a news story in my home country about an off site car park renting out the cars while owners were away.

Edited by LivinginKata

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

The way I read the member report about the 100 baht place is that they drive you back to the airport in your car thus they must have the keys. Not so sure I want to let an unknown person have control of my car while I was away for a known number of days. Car insurance implication and I seem to remember a news story in my home country about an off site car park renting out the cars while owners were away.

Your right about this and i'm also reluctant to leave my car behind but luckily i have a front and back ward facing camera with sound to record everything and keep it as proof in case something happens.

Or i use my wife old car which can absorb some damage. :-)

Uhh that don't sound good then, next week I'll have two suitcases + cabin bag, eight ton of Taylors (of Harrogate) Yorkshire tea bags, a shed load of proper Cheddar cheese, Vimto and 1000 fags..., I don't mind queuing but no way do I want them having me Vimto away!!

• 2 weeks later...

My weekend experience.   Arrived at domestic car-park at 08:00 Saturday. Clear signs to get in.

Down the end found one car space. Many other vehicles along the fencing.  Walking to terminal could see no other genuine car space.   Sunday came back.  21: 30 - 80% full.  Some cars double parked which  suggests that it was overflowing earlier in the day.

A few thoughts on using the Domestic Terminal on a couple of occasions last week.

Outbound

Nice big signs on the main road pointing in.

Domestic car park looked full at 10 am (I would have used the facility across the road but I was away for a longer period and got dropped off).

Snake to get into the terminal baggage check was quite long but they processed people fairly quickly- maybe took me about ten minutes.

A bit confusing as to where to go once in the terminal as I had booked in online. Stick to the drop-off side of the wall and go to the end, then down a short passage to the left. This  puts you on the escalator and into the ‘old’ terminal.

Domestic departures is now the old International lounge- it seems far more spacious (because it is) than the old departure lounge – once the whole place is refurbished it should be nice.

Bangkok Airways ‘lounge’ is right at the end of the terminal, just beside gate 4. I expect they will have a proper lounge again once the refurb is complete.

Inbound

For some reason Bkk Airways kept us hanging about for 10 minutes then bused us all of 200m to the terminal- why we couldn’t have used the airbridge (as we did on departure) remains a mystery.

On drop off it’s through the doors and into the area where immigration used to be. Small exit sign at the far end.

Snake through and outside- the bus that drops off at the International terminal is down to the left.

Meter Taxi (B550 to Kamala) is to the right when you come out of the doors- just around the corner. No military check on driving out but the driver was on trip coupons.

Once the full refurb is complete it should be quite a nice terminal.

As an aside I have now had 3 delayed flights with Bkk Airways (Sat was an hour and ten minutes)- other airlines seem to be able to stick to their schedules, why can't they. 

Edited by Psimbo

6 hours ago, backstairs said:

My weekend experience.   Arrived at domestic car-park at 08:00 Saturday. Clear signs to get in.

Down the end found one car space. Many other vehicles along the fencing.  Walking to terminal could see no other genuine car space.   Sunday came back.  21: 30 - 80% full.  Some cars double parked which  suggests that it was overflowing earlier in the day.

As per my  comment above- when I park there I think I will use the guy across the road.

Seems a lot of staff are using the place. The parking pickup area for meter taxis was fairly empty but not much use! Shame there's not a staff and long term parking area somewhere like most airports, with a shuttle running in.