Report: US cities passing more laws making homelessness a crime

webfact

9 hours ago, Grubster said:

Yes many do want to be homeless, I would guess 30% in america.

They want.. They WANT??? another crack hit so they steal a bicycle

or bust a car stereo window.... An hour later.... they want another crack hit

so they steal another bicycle or bust another car stereo window....

Ain't much more thought process than that from those brains.

Just now, jb5music said:

It is a lot more about alcohol than drugs. Illegal drugs are too expensive for most homeless people.

3 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

It is a lot more about alcohol than drugs. Illegal drugs are too expensive for most homeless people.

And more than 50% of homeless people are normally veterans who find themselves unable to fit back in to society after witnessing and experiencing the horrors they have done in service of their country. Yeah, make it illegal, lock them up. If I thought a bottle of scotch every day would take away some of the things I have seen then I would probably give it a go, but I am lucky to be aware it would achieve nothing. The homeless need help not thrown in a prison for profit.

I agree, but the government helps vets a LOT. They get grants for housing worth about $1500 a month and that usually includes hot meals. If they are homeless, it is because they prefer to be. However, there are not a lot of jobs out there that pay more than minimum wage and no one can live on that.

1 hour ago, jb5music said:

If they allowed people, my body my choice, and made clean drugs available, with optional treatment programmes and councilling, they would not need to steal and commit crimes. And crack would never have been invented, which is 10 times worse than heroine 

13 hours ago, Grubster said:

Yes many do want to be homeless, I would guess 30% in america.

Yes, that's often correct; there are various programs and non profit groups with a vast amount of resources including housing (if you go through the red tape that's doable; but hey! it's free!). At a weekly church community breakfast one day some of us reflected that there are indeed housing programs available, and that  many of the homeless people want to live in the city's forest, parks, alleys, and garbage cans. That's another problem.  

As long as there is indeed housing available, then maybe the govt. can make homelessness illegal - but not before. 

Edited by TerrylSky

3 hours ago, jb5music said:

Many of them are educated and want to be homeless, many are not educated and want to be homeless, many have money and chose to be homeless.   There is not as much crime committed by homeless as you think. A lot of them are beggars but don't steal. Obviously you have not been around them much. Many of them are veterans too. They look bad in society but for the most part they are harmless, not selling drugs, not carrying guns. Many are the ones who were put out when Reagan closed many mental institutions.

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/17/2016 at 8:33 PM, sekmet said:

I think giving people things for free leads to a culture of entitlement . 

In the USA the single biggest cause of homelessness was bankruptcy due to medical expenses. Damn shiftless invalids! Why can't they stay healthy like decent people?

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/01/how-health-and-homelessness-are-connectedmedically/458871/

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:48 AM, Emster23 said:

Which French writer said, more or less "The law in it's infinite fairness punishes rich and poor alike for sleeping under bridges"?

Right !

Anatole France (1844-1924)

more or less : "The law, with a great concern for equality, forbids  rich as well as poor to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal bread."

Edited by Opl

On 11/16/2016 at 0:22 PM, nausea said:

Move on. NIMBY. It's the same problem you get with refugees, once you allow them to settle you get a camp developing, and everyone heads for it. Read George Orwell DAOIPAL, keep them moving. 

On 11/16/2016 at 0:41 PM, siam2007 said:

wow great !

I am sure HITLER would have made you part of his team !

http://www.wnd.com/2005/04/29625/

Just to be clear, this isn't my personal opinion, it's my view of the rationale behind these laws.