Uk Freeview

topfield

Whether through the Slingbox or the Sony Location Free Box are you or do you know of anyone receiving this in Thailand using broadband ?

If so, your report on this much appreciated.

not a slingbox, but it's free software version orb. Works ok but the window to view is small and the quality not great. I have a MCE2005 PC setup and it records certain things and I can log into it using VNC to view the TV guide and make changes.

I think we are hampered by the poor t'internet speeds and the fact the UK is 256 u/l unless you have an unbundled exchanged and expensive BB. Ironically I have 512 u/l here but my d/l is really crappy.

Can orb be set to send streaming radio?

I'm interested in getting the UK version of Radio 5 in Thailand so as to get the football/cricket etc comentaries.

whatever you recieve in the UK you can stream. So you can set up a freeview and listen to everything unfettered by the restrictions. Radio is spot on, excellent quality. 5 live for example is considerably better listening 15,000km's away over the internet then when I was sat in my garden listening to the commentary on MW!

How do you set it up, to get freeview on your computer? I'm in the UK and have 8meg broadband btw.

I have a PC in the UK which has a freeview card in it. I actually use MCE 2005 but you don't have to. You register with orb (www.orb.com) and download the client to your host PC. Then, whatever the PC is watching you can stream over with interweb. If you haven't got a freeview card yet, make sure you get one that is compatible with orb - loads are.

Then to view it, you log into orb (same url) and there is your TV! Not the most secure system and I wouldn't have the family jewels stored on it, but for viewing a bit of telly, it's perfect and free.

I'm currently using a mac "widget" that has all the BBC Radio channels - i'm listening to 5 live now.......it's realplayer based i think.

I think the problem is when they are broadcasting matches, due to rights issus they don't allow overseas to listen to it. It's the greedy premiership rather than BBC I think.

I'm currently using a mac "widget" that has all the BBC Radio channels - i'm listening to 5 live now.......it's realplayer based i think.

I think the problem is when they are broadcasting matches, due to rights issus they don't allow overseas to listen to it. It's the greedy premiership rather than BBC I think.

You can listen to SPL matches live, except my team -Aberdeen - who do their own service for 40 pounds per year - which I would pay, but I just know it's going to be crap.

How do you set it up, to get freeview on your computer? I'm in the UK and have 8meg broadband btw.

I have a PC in the UK which has a freeview card in it. I actually use MCE 2005 but you don't have to. You register with orb (www.orb.com) and download the client to your host PC. Then, whatever the PC is watching you can stream over with interweb. If you haven't got a freeview card yet, make sure you get one that is compatible with orb - loads are.

Then to view it, you log into orb (same url) and there is your TV! Not the most secure system and I wouldn't have the family jewels stored on it, but for viewing a bit of telly, it's perfect and free.

Cheers Cromarty :o

If you''re in Thailand and listen to the bbc five live you listen to the international version

(link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/live/surestream_int.ram)

If in the UK you get the domestic stream

(link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/live/surestream.ram)

Note the '-int' difference.

The international stream does not carry premiership football, cricket, formula 1 and the likes - as said before due to copyright holders refusing the BBC permisssion.

They even refuse to allow world service to stream the Saturday afternoon sports despite the fact that they are available on shortwave everywhere which is farsical.