Toyota Hilux Vigo Vs. Fortuner

thai thai

Not having driven either one yet, these vehicles seem to be very similar. However, the Vigo 4x4 (4-door) seems to be the best 'bang for the buck', as it appears more versitile. I am wanting to know if anybody has any thoughts on the difference in build quality between the two...interior comfort, ride comfort, appointments, degree of luxury, drivetrain, mileage, etc. We could even throw the (4-door) Pre-runner into the mix, as this one seems to be an even better value...if mud and snow are not part of your regular routine.

Edited by thai thai

Not having driven either one yet, these vehicles seem to be very similar. However, the Vigo 4x4 (4-door) seems to be the best 'bang for the buck', as it appears more versitile. I am wanting to know if anybody has any thoughts on the difference in build quality between the two...interior comfort, ride comfort, appointments, degree of luxury, drivetrain, mileage, etc. We could even throw the (4-door) Pre-runner into the mix, as this one seems to be an even better value...if mud and snow are not part of your regular routine.

I would expect the Fortuner to ride a lot better because the pickup has leaf rear springs and front suspension designed for hauling heavy loads and the Fortuner does not. As far as the rest, it about tit for tat.

I would expect the Fortuner to ride a lot better because the pickup has leaf rear springs and front suspension designed for hauling heavy loads and the Fortuner does not. As far as the rest, it about tit for tat.

My Humble opinion go for the Vigo, no complaint from me of any of friends that own the Vigo or the Tiger. Most advise if you have an old Tiger trade it for the Vigo. Toyota build it tough.

Thanks Gary...

I thought I read somewhere that the 4-door Vigo was not sprung as tight as the 2-door, therefore, more comfortable. At 740,000 baht (4-door Prerunner)...the 1.2 mil baht Fortuner is 61%(?) more than the Prerunner.

Edited by thai thai

Thanks Gary...

I thought I read somewhere that the 4-door Vigo was not sprung as tight as the 2-door, therefore, more comfortable. At 740,000 baht (4-door Prerunner)...the 1.2 mil baht Fortuner is 61%(?) more than the Prerunner.

Without a doubt, the pickup is more bang for the baht. I was more impressed with the Fortuners ride but whether it is worth paying that much of a premium is another question. The four door may be sprung differently because of the shorter bed, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't bet on it.

I you're interested in 4wd - check the 4wd system of the Fortuner against the Vigo, I think it has a higher spec, I believe the Fortuner is a permenant 4wd system - am I right in thinking that?

Mechanically the vehicles are close relatives, the Fortuner may prove better off road with its shorter wheelbase and in-and-out angles. It's better appointed but engines are the same. The rear suspension on the Fortuner has been altered and has a kind of trailing arm and coil springs which should make the ride better.

Edited by wilko

• 2 weeks later...
hi peeps! i just want to know if there is a volk racing te37 COPY wheels size 18 6holes x 139PCD in thailand? how much? where? shop? contact ? thanks!!!!

Don't know about the exact wheel you're seeking, but there are lots of places selling a huge variety of alloys, take a photo of the wheel you want and they're sure to find something close :o

I’ve had both, I exchanged the Vigo last year for the Fortuner and would recommend the Fortuner over the Vigo 4x4 auto I had.

The Fortuner has a far better ride and seating comfort, mostly thanks to its permanent four wheel drive system.

Having driven both vehicles from Bangkok to Phuket several times I felt much safer in the Fortuner especially in the rainy season as the Vigo tends to slide a bit when pushed in the wet.

This is a ridiculous comparison, the Vigo is a work vehicle and the Fortuner a 'soccer mom' SUV so of course it will have a better ride and comfort.

I would have thought that the Honda CR-V was for "soccer moms" and the Fortuner was for anybody who thinks : "THE WORLD IS MINE".

But I agree that it's a strange comparison. If you are looking for comfort and refinement then you'd do better to go for a car. If you need something to rough it a bit then a 4x4 pick up truck would be the way to go.