Can you apply for new visa while current one still valid

I think what you're asking is if you can apply for a visa extension (in Thailand) with 20 days left on your visa that was issued outside of Thailand.

If that is actually the case then based on that:

The "Enter Before" date is not an expression of how long you can be in Thailand, it is how long you can use that visa to enter Thailand in the status conferred by the visa.

You should have an "Admitted Until" date.  Which can be before or after the "Enter Before" date on your original visa.  If your Admitted Until date is before the Enter Before date on the visa you will need to exit Thailand and use the visa to enter in the status conferred by the visa.  However, there is an exception.  With an adequate reason you can get your 90 days extended.  Also check how many entries are allowed on that visa.  If it is an S (Single) you can not use it again to enter in the status conferred by the visa.  If it is a M (Multiple) you can use it an unlimited number of times before the Enter Before date.

If it because you are here with a Non-Thail citizen here on an Education Visa then see Police Order No.327/2557 Section 2.11.  If because of being a family member of a Thai citizen see Section 2.18.  If neither of these applies to your case look at the other ones and find the one that is the basis for your Non-Immigrant O visa.

If the Admitted Until date is after the Enter Before date you can legally be in Thailand until the Admitted Until date.  You can get a visa extension 45 days or less before your Admitted Until date.  Some immigration offices in the past only allowed 30 days or less before the Admitted Until date.

If your Admitted Until date is before the Enter Before date you can exit Thailand and Re-Enter and be given another 90 days.

If you want to leave Thailand and re-enter after the Enter Before date but before the Admitted Until date you can purchase a Re-Entry permit which will maintain your

your status upon your re-entry.  In this case the experation of your Re-Entry permit will coincide with your Admitted Until date. 

On this point I am not positive one way or the other:  Upon re-entry with a Re-Entry Permit you may be given another 90 days/Admitted Until date but I am guessing you would only be allowed to re-enter until the expiration of your old Admitted Until date.

FYI:  This is a really tricky part.  If you want to extend your 90 days and to do so requires having the money in the bank, such as is required in Section 2.11, since your entry is for only 90 days the first time only you need to have the money in the bank for 60 days.  Every time after that you will need to have the money in the bank for 90 days.  I learned this the hard way.

I apologize for the length of this but not knowing your exact predicament it is hard to know exactly which parts of the Immigration policies that apply in your case.

1 minute ago, JXCutter said:

I think what you're asking is if you can apply for a visa extension (in Thailand) with 20 days left on your visa that was issued outside of Thailand.

He has a multiple entry non-o visa from an embassy or consulate and wants to apply for a new one.

1 hour ago, JXCutter said:

There is no such thing as a visa extension.Visas are never extended. Presumably you mean an extension of the permission to stay or extension of stay granted by immigration.

The time when you can apply for a long term extension is generally 30 to 45 days before one's current permission to stay or extension of stay expires ... nothing to do with a visa expiration.

Since he said he has a multi-entry visa that has yet to expire and wants to obtain a new one, that seems to imply that he is indeed seeking a new visa, which would be issued by an embassy or consulate and not an extension of stay issue by immigrations.

And if he's having "wife problems that might end his reason for an extension based on marriage, he would be far better off getting a new visa than applying for an extension.

Edited by Suradit69

Yes, but he could exit and re-enter before the visa expires, he could get another 90-day period of stay.  Not sure if he truly wants a new visa at this point since he says that his reason for qualifying is in jeapordy.

• Like 1