Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, mcfish said:

TV Is first and foremost a business. Every click counts, nothing wrong with that we are all just guests and can leave any time if we don't like it.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Why leave entertainment dont come any cheaper

Will be interesting to see when details are clear what income documentation they will demand to prov the Thb 100,000,- in pension? Same as now from our embassies and gross income or a switch to net income! 

Edited by Felt 35

5 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

This... Some folks seem to think its some kind of hatred of the poor or something.. When in reality its more simple amazement that people would sell up, put all thier eggs in one basket, and plan a multi decade life when on such a knife edge of weak finances. 

If your looking at a decade or two future ahead of you, understand that 100k a month income is not a lot to move and retire in a rapidly developing and prospering region. If thats your budget, consider it very carefully and do nothing which is not living on a year to year visa, with a strong foothold back in the social safety nets of your home country. 

Agreed.  I think some may think some of the things I've written are harsh but money has a cold, hard aspect to it and when something (like your retirement plans) cost more of those pieces of paper than you've saved up, well, you have to face that reality.  

There is no way moving to Thailand was a good alternative for someone who did not use their 40 working years in life to accumulate sufficient wealth to retire.  And if you didn't have a "Plan B" well, there's a good chance it's that same lack of planning that got you to retirement without sufficient resources to begin with.  

I've shown how even a government worker on a less than spectacular salary can accumulate two pensions and social security and have $5K USD a month or more guaranteed for the rest of their lives.  I don't care how much money you make in salary, I can show you an investment plan where 40 years of accumulated savings and compounded growth gets you to far more than $3,000 USD a month.  It's far from impossible.  

And yes, there are financial road bumps.  Divorces.  Bad investments.  Illnesses.  Whatever.  But, first of all, that's one of the reasons why retirement accounts in the US are fairly untouchable.  They're not meant to be a savings account for you to dip into when you need money.  But more importantly, when you have a setback, you don't move the finish line.  If you plug everything into one of those online retirement calculators and your only option is to move to a third-world country, you need to rethink things a bit and maybe work a few more years until you're in a better place financially.  

It's not that I'm judging anybody who is not financially stable enough to meet these new visa requirements, it's that at least back home in your own country you can always find some work and there are often social programs available to help people make ends meet.  Those programs don't exist in Thailand.  Not for Thais and certainly not for farangs.     

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is so common with the "press" here. Lost in translation stuff that they think doesn't matter, that matters A LOT. 

There won't be an official notice to unwind the fantastical drama you concocted and encouraged back on Page 1.  

2 hours ago, Spellforce said:

"VISA ON ARRIVAL reduced to 1000 Bahts to attract more tourists"

Because of the weak GBP & Ruble, if something has to done it would be to reduce and not to raise the requirements "to keep the foreign residents". That would make sens.

Many residents have assets in Thailand (houses & condos), it could be catastrophic to the thai real market to loose that population !

Absolutely real estate would be devastated however the big wig policy makers would be dragged into the vortex and no way they are going to allow their own assets to be trashed 

1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

There won't be an official notice to unwind the fantastical drama you concocted and encouraged back on Page 1.  

Yes that thread has to be closed and TV has to review/moderate all what has been said !

One more time for new readers: nothing will be changed for you ! FALSE ALERT, Thailand still loves you and for long time :)

" They must also have health insurance that covers hospital stays and provides at least USD$10,000 in annual coverage " Therein lies the catch!  For those of us now over 60 the chances of securing health insurance for a reasonable price is almost impossible, especially if you haven't had health cover in your 50's and early 60's.  When I return to live full time in LOS I will be 67 or 68 so I am guessing no insurance company will touch me with a barge pole!  

4 hours ago, bamukloy said:

It changes absolutely nothing for you. If reported today it will take months if not a year or so.

In any case this is just like a recprical visa for only select countries.

It dont mean they will cancel the visa conditions for all other nationalities.

otherwise you think Thailand will only allow rich retirees from 14 countries only?

Everyone else get out?

Thats ridiculous.

The link someone posted is about 10 pages ago but was in khaosod newspaper or website. (i think)

Thai is lazy to translate anything into English until they absolutely have to. 

Once again, you will not find anything solid in Thai or English as its to early stage for this

You mention the words "reciprocal visas", so I thought I would mention what Vietnam just did for USA citizens.  The only visa available to Americans now is a one  year multi entry visa and the total cost will be about 200 USD.  That is so very impractical for any sort of casual tourist.  The Vietnam embassy rep I spoke to said it was a reciprocal thing.  Sure it may benefit some people, say those that do casual business, import export or obviously anything else that may require them to enter Vietnam repeatedly during a year.   This suggest Thai visa would really put the kibosh on many expat retirees that did come to Thailand to live on the cheap and not have to deal with a lot of regulations.  I have little doubt the ease of things in the past is going away. 

I didn't make up the word replace. 

Again, many of us I'm sure, including me, would like to hear an official statement about how this change impacts on those with current retirement status, or does not.

It's a reasonable request for those that have made their lives here, some of us for decades.

2 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

Yes that thread has to be closed and TV has to review/moderate all what has been said !

One more time for new readers: nothing will be changed for you ! FALSE ALERT, Thailand still loves you and for long time :)

You dare close it. A lot of details are emerging on the new visa. I am effected by this news. More help is needed googling for more detail. Please everyone help.

5 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

Posted yesterday, bad translation.

Today we have an official statment from the government: nothing is planned to change for the VISA O + n X 1 year extension.

This 2 X 5 years is just a new nice option for some people > 50 yo.

Posted 3 hours ago it says on Google.

Screenshot_2016-11-23-15-52-11.png

Edited by tukkytuktuk

2 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

A lot of details are emerging on the new visa. I am effected by this news. More help is needed googling for more detail. Please everyone help.

That's why I said that TV should close this thread and post a new one about the new official statement governement, posted today, with a correct translation and interpretation.

Most of us single Guys can walk away from this but the devastation to families is totally unacceptable. Let's see what happens over the coming months and hope it's not the army clearing out the now "farang mafia"

6 hours ago, newnative said:

$3000 a month is not 'living in poverty' in a lot of places in America.  I think the average Social Security payment in America is around $1400 a month.  That's about what I get and I also have a state pension of around $1700 a month after taxes.  I'm lucky to have a pension as a lot of employers are dropping them as being too expensive to maintain.  Workers are now suppose to be socking money away for their retirement in various retirement accounts but I wonder how many are saving enough. 

You're right.  It's $36,000 a year.  Assuming you own your house free and clear by that point, eliminating what should account for about 33% of your pre-retirement expenses, you're doing pretty good.  

However, I grew up in Los Angeles.  $36,000 a year wouldn't go very far there.  :-)  

But that's why we have places like Florida and Nevada.  Relatively low cost of living, no state income tax, and warm weather so people can get out and do things.  

In terms of pensions, I remember years ago, my father said to me, "I'm probably the last generation of people where people work for the same company for their entire career."  He's right.  Pensions are of less value when the average tenure with a company is 5 or so years.  I think I've averaged about 3 or 4 years at every company I've worked at.  And part of that is because several of those companies no longer exist (no fault of my own, 555).  

Pensions typically don't kick in until you hit 20 years.  Whereas even working for a company for 3 or 4 years I was able to funnel a percentage of my income into a 401K and have it company matched and I was able to walk away with that money even when the company was no longer around.  

So while some of the reasons pensions are going away has to do with corporate greed, a bigger part of it has to do with the fact that the employee/employer relationship has dramatically changed over the last generation.  I'm not even close to being a millennial but it's not seen as a badge of honor in my generation to have worked for the same company for 20 or 30 or 40 years (unless you work in government or a similar old-school field).  It's seen as a lack of career advancement.  Many companies don't hire from within anymore so if you're valuable and you want to get paid the only way to move up is to take a higher position at a different company.  

1 minute ago, mcfish said:

Most of us single Guys can walk away from this but the devastation to families is totally unacceptable. Let's see what happens over the coming months and hope it's not the army clearing out the now "farang mafia"

Read the last comments posted today: NOTHING WILL CHANGE FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ! :)

5 hours ago, david555 said:

You can find any bad thing that can happen of course...:sick: , like a Earthquake hits your Thai bank ...etc.... I only make my point that with a little planning an patience you can always get your money out of Thailand ... at a cost of course ..., seems you talk as an insurance man naming all the bad can happen:sad: .I am not defending to keep 3 mill in Thailand, but I know that all money some transfer or bring Thailand example to buy condo , later when selling the condo  and paying your taxes on it , you can transfer out complete by your bank delivering the tor tor sam or English name F.E.T. foreign exchange Transfer doc.

If you follow the Thai rules no problem exists .... but that latest seems a problem ....? not for me :smile:

Hi David.

When did you sell your Condo, and how easy was it to get your money back to your bank in Europe.? 

Was it as straightforward as bringing money into Thailand?

'if you follow the Thai rules no problem exists'......

i am sorry I think you are naive.

8 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

LivinLOS said:

Cant see what people are whining about.. 100k a month for a 10 year visa, in 2 blocks of 5... Just superb".

Wow, yet another condescending supposed billionaire! We are all terribly impressed!

I think he read the article and got his first erection in 5 years