7-11 plastic bag update.

malt25

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this also apply to the plastic bags that they put your chicken/pork in at Lotus.I hope not because i usually lift a few dozen when there.They are excellent for the freezer.Please dont take away the little pleasure i get in by nicking free plastic bags. If we get charged for them,then i will a petty thief.:shock1::shock1:

Now you all tell me what do you all do when you come out of a 7/11 store with 8/10 items including 3 bottles of water and try and ride your Honda 125 motor bike 1 or 2 KMs home without a plastic bag over the hook and the tiny section under the seat full...go on you people tell me ...answer =you ride home with one hand on the handle bars, 2 of the bottles stuffed down your shirt (if you have one on) tomato sauce bottle hanging out of your mouth and an occy strap holding all the other items purchase strapped to the back of the bike ...so there, we don't need plastic bags?   SSS  Some times somethings fall off and then where do you put the wife?

Pay fo a bag and then also do for them the advertising after you have paid?

That is the weirdest thing I have every heard,

besides that, the bag can be used for many other things.

A good bag and then no ads on its ok. This is what you started to see and was also in the past too. No advertising or logos on it.

The rest is that you just are an extension of the marketing and now you are willing to pay for it too?

32 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Now you all tell me what do you all do when you come out of a 7/11 store with 8/10 items including 3 bottles of water and try and ride your Honda 125 motor bike 1 or 2 KMs home without a plastic bag over the hook and the tiny section under the seat full...go on you people tell me ...answer =you ride home with one hand on the handle bars, 2 of the bottles stuffed down your shirt (if you have one on) tomato sauce bottle hanging out of your mouth and an occy strap holding all the other items purchase strapped to the back of the bike ...so there, we don't need plastic bags?   SSS  Some times somethings fall off and then where do you put the wife?

David, mate... you ever hear about something called a backpack ? They come in various shapes & sizes. Even you could work out how to fit your 8/10 items in said bag. It just might take you a bit longer than most, but I'm sure you'd get there after a few tries. Next big revelation for you, try keeping said backpack under your bike seat.

" Now you all tell me what do you all do"  Well, that's what I all do !

I've never bought anything big enough from 7/11 to need a bag, all the stuff is already over packaged. I get strange looks for refusing as well. People in UK soon got used to the no bags idea, which I know has been going on in the Netherlands for at least 25 years. Another 25 and it might catch on here, especially if CP realise how much extra they can make from selling reusable bags instead of giving away plastic ones.

It was reported yesterday in the UK's The Guardian that there has been a dramatic decrease (around half)  of plastic bags found on beaches according to conservationists since a 5p levy was introduced. Speaks volumes.......

I thought they were going to introduce bio-degradable "plastic" bags ?

Made from some environmentally friendly material that breaks down quickly and is harmless to marine life.

I think that would help solve the problem.

That said, I think many people find the bags very handy for disposing of kitchen waste in neat packages 

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

For goodness sake stop being so bloody holly your not a grammar expert, I could not give a monkeys arse if there are to many plastic bags in the world when children are dying every day of starvation, or from other easily curable diseases but no plastic bloody bags are far more important to you aren't they, so get off your lilly white charger and try and do some real good for a change

Use the money from the bag sales to feed the starving children. 

Reduce bag consumption and the number of starving children. It's a win/win. 

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

For goodness sake stop being so bloody holly your not a grammar expert, I could not give a monkeys arse if there are to many plastic bags in the world when children are dying every day of starvation, or from other easily curable diseases but no plastic bloody bags are far more important to you aren't they, so get off your lilly white charger and try and do some real good for a change

My dear Deep.

1. I have no intention of starting a petition. I simply posted the reply from 7-11.

2. I saw 2 issues in the original post. Plastic bags & no reply to e-mails in Thailand. I always get a reply to all my Thai e-mails, so I thought I'd see if 7-11 would reply, they did.

3. I'm certainly no tree hugger. I do accept plastic bags if the occasion warrants.

4. I use said plastic bags for bin liners.

5. I doubt if you have a monkey's arse to give ? Don't offer what you don't have.

6. Yes, millions are dying of starvation & disease. Maybe it's mother natures way of trying to slow the over population of the planet, who knows ?

7. If I were to campaign on any issue here in LOS, plastic bags would be way down on the list. Yes, there are far more important issues.

8. Sorry, I no longer have my Charger, & it wasn't white. A yellow mustard colour actually. But that was back in the 70's. V8, 4 on the floor, great car in it's time.

9. Lastly, with all the likes & positive comments, do you feel  you just might be odd man out ?

Cheers.....     Mal.

If your not a Thai citizen, your a guest so behave like one!

If you want to change policy go back to your home country to do it!

It's no wonder why Thais are beginning to dislike foreigners who try to change everything.

Planet earth has been doing just fine for millions of years and plastic bags are the least of her worries.

Mother Nature has her own way of purging undesirable matter when needed.

16 hours ago, Rsquared said:

Great idea and good luck.

When my wife and I moved over here from Australia, we brought a box full of the green "Woolies" bags and have used them until they passed their use-by date.

At first we got unusual looks and stares, but now around our local village we don't get a second glance when we refuse a plastic bag and just show our "brought from home " bag ready and willing.

Has it made an impact on other people in our village to do the same?......I don't think so.....we need to educate the kids, adults are too set in their ways.

Cheers.

Good on you. But thinking of the old adage: You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

These issues need to have laws and enforcement to make them work. And when you think of the numerous laws in Thailand that are not rigorously enforced, then I can only wish you good luck. A country sometimes much beloved of talking but little action sadly.

Has it made an impact on other people in our village to do the same?......I don't think so.....we need to educate the kids, adults are too set in their ways.

Yes your a oddity. They just do not comprehend. It is also the same oddity that keeps the rice farmers plodding along planting loosing money and still they keep plodding along almost like lemmings. I guess looking at history it is part of what made civilizations disappear and make way for a better mousetrap. You might call it crop rotation on the human level. 

I use a cloth bag  and the one time I forgot it the girl at Tesco ask me where it was. slowly education is taken place. 

Even at the pharmacy they know not to give me a plastic bag for a small item I can just put In my pocket. lead by example. They will catch on.

15 hours ago, akirasan said:

Well done.  It's a step in the right direction.  

Today at a 7-11 I got the strangest look when I said I'd put things in my backpack and a plastic bag wasn't needed.

Its hard to change that quizzical look to one of wisdom but its a good start. 

35 minutes ago, malt25 said:
4 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Yes eventually you had to have a guy like Deepinthailand go off of the deep end. Its always a given. Everybody has a cause they hold near and dear. People just should not fight over which one is more important they all are. I commend both of your lines of thought but it hurts to see somebody attack something good and necessary spouting another good and necessary cause. We do not live in Babylon yet. 

Great idea and good luck.

When my wife and I moved over here from Australia, we brought a box full of the green "Woolies" bags and have used them until they passed their use-by date.

At first we got unusual looks and stares, but now around our local village we don't get a second glance when we refuse a plastic bag and just show our "brought from home " bag ready and willing.

Cheers.

FYI Those green eco bags actually contain more plastic than several hundred plastic bags. What did you use to put your household food scraps in before chucking them into your garbage bin to be collected. Plastic bags are ideal for this to stop the vermin from getting at it in the bin. Nothing wrong with using biodegradable plastic bags

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

My dear Deep.

1. I have no intention of starting a petition. I simply posted the reply from 7-11.

2. I saw 2 issues in the original post. Plastic bags & no reply to e-mails in Thailand. I always get a reply to all my Thai e-mails, so I thought I'd see if 7-11 would reply, they did.

3. I'm certainly no tree hugger. I do accept plastic bags if the occasion warrants.

4. I use said plastic bags for bin liners.

5. I doubt if you have a monkey's arse to give ? Don't offer what you don't have.

6. Yes, millions are dying of starvation & disease. Maybe it's mother natures way of trying to slow the over population of the planet, who knows ?

7. If I were to campaign on any issue here in LOS, plastic bags would be way down on the list. Yes, there are far more important issues.

8. Sorry, I no longer have my Charger, & it wasn't white. A yellow mustard colour actually. But that was back in the 70's. V8, 4 on the floor, great car in it's time.

9. Lastly, with all the likes & positive comments, do you feel  you just might be odd man out ?

Cheers.....     Mal.

No not odd man out at all do you feel superior now then

9 hours ago, David Walden said:

I keep a cloth reusable bag on the bike. bag my own and ride with both hands on the bars. If buying alot I have a rack with a box on back.

Kind of easyn to figure out without the dramas you imply.