Non imm o explained please....

Hello All,

Tried to sort this one out via the Royal Thai Embassy London website, but it's a bit ambiguous .  I don't have a Thai Spouse,  or any spouse come to that, no children, or parents living in Thailand, no voluntary job, and not retired claiming state pension. I am however a UK national, over 50 and have income from a previous company Pension,  and rental income from UK properties. I can cover the £1400.00 per month annually requirement, ( are there any other financial requirements needed ?). If not do I qualify to apply for this visa ?. As I understand there is a single entry option (90 days) and a multiple entry option (1 year), in both cases are they extendable year on year , assuming of course all qualifing details are still met ?. I guess if so it would be based on retirement ?....

Thanks in a dance. ...

In the UK you will not be able to get a non-o visa if younger than 65. 

You could get a OA long stay visa though. The OA visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. You can get almost 2 years of total by getting a new one year entry just before the visa expires. Requirements are here: http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

Another option would be to get a single entry tourist visa and convert it to 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration here. Then apply for a one year extension of stay. You would need to get a income letter from the UK embassy to prove 65k baht income to apply for the visa and extension.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

In the UK you will not be able to get a non-o visa if younger than 65. 

You could get a OA long stay visa though. The OA visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. You can get almost 2 years of total by getting a new one year entry just before the visa expires. Requirements are here: http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

Another option would be to get a single entry tourist visa and convert it to 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration here. Then apply for a one year extension of stay. You would need to get a income letter from the UK embassy to prove 65k baht income to apply for the visa and extension.

Thank you Joe,  yes I am younger than 65, but I guess in that case if I were 65 or older I could apply for the non imm o in London then ?.  However it looks like the tourist visa/ 90 day non imm would be the way to go. Does the non imm o require a month income only, or does it offer you the option of a deposit in a Thai bank and or a combination like the O-A does ?. If so how much is the deposit amount please ?. Also this income letter from the embassy, how does that work please ?. I  mean how would they know my income ?. Does this mean I to prove to them my income and they endorse it or something ?...Finally I assume you can apply indefinitely for the yearly extensions in Thailand , assuming all criteria is met ?.....The reason I am looking at the non imm o is because I'm  not sure how the O-A long stay is going to pan out at the moment....!!.

If you 65 or over you could get a non-o visa at the embassy.

The change to the non immigrant visa and extension of stay have the same requirements other than the money only has to be in the bank on the date you apply for the visa. 

You need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days on the date you apply for the extension or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht. After the first extension the money has to be in the bank for 3 months. You can apply for new extensions every year just before the current one ends.

You supply proof of you pension or other income to embassy when you apply for the income letter by mail to the embassy. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

No matter what changes there would be once the OA visa is issued it would remain valid until it expires and the entries from it also.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you 65 or over you could get a non-o visa at the embassy.

The change to the non immigrant visa and extension of stay have the same requirements other than the money only has to be in the bank on the date you apply for the visa. 

You need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days on the date you apply for the extension or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht. After the first extension the money has to be in the bank for 3 months. You can apply for new extensions every year just before the current one ends.

You supply proof of you pension or other income to embassy when you apply for the income letter by mail to the embassy. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

No matter what changes there would be once the OA visa is issued it would remain valid until it expires and the entries from it also.

Thank you for confirming the financial requirements for the non O Joe. Also many thanks for the link to the embassy. Helps a lot. Cheers. 

..... If I chose to simply have the 800k baht in my Thai bank ( and not worry about the income) for the first and subsequent extensions, for proof of this for immigration would I just need a letter from my Thai bank to prove the 800k or would this bank letter need to be endorsed by the British Embassy in bkk ? ...

Thanks.....

7 minutes ago, Putmak said:

..... If I chose to simply have the 800k baht in my Thai bank ( and not worry about the income) for the first and subsequent extensions, for proof of this for immigration would I just need a letter from my Thai bank to prove the 800k or would this bank letter need to be endorsed by the British Embassy in bkk ? ...

Thanks.....

You only need the letter from the bank confirming your account and the balance in it and your bank book.

No need for anything from the embassy.

Regarding a Non O visa,

● Where can you apply to convert a SETV, a local immigration office, or does it have to be BKK

● Are they available as a single entry or multiple entry ?. 

● If I got a single entry can I leave and return to Thailand with a re entry permit, or is it as it says "single entry", and then I'd have to start the process all over again.

● What is the process for leaving and re entering with a multiple ?....I guess this is when you would need the re entry permit ?

● Apart from the financial proof what other documents are required to convert the SETV to a 90 day Non O, and assuming the SETV has already been extended to 90 days when should you apply for the conversion ?

● What documents are required to apply for the first extension based on retirement ?. And when should you apply ?

● What documents are required for subsequent extensions,  all based on retirement ?. And when should you apply ?

Sorry to ask so many dumb questions, but there's no other easy way of finding out.

Many thanks.....

33 minutes ago, Putmak said:

Regarding a Non O visa,

● Where can you apply to convert a SETV, a local immigration office, or does it have to be BKK

● Are they available as a single entry or multiple entry ?. 

● If I got a single entry can I leave and return to Thailand with a re entry permit, or is it as it says "single entry", and then I'd have to start the process all over again.

● What is the process for leaving and re entering with a multiple ?....I guess this is when you would need the re entry permit ?

● Apart from the financial proof what other documents are required to convert the SETV to a 90 day Non O, and assuming the SETV has already been extended to 90 days when should you apply for the conversion ?

● What documents are required to apply for the first extension based on retirement ?. And when should you apply ?

● What documents are required for subsequent extensions,  all based on retirement ?. And when should you apply ?

Sorry to ask so many dumb questions, but there's no other easy way of finding out.

Many thanks.....

Some immigration offices other than Bangkok can accept the application for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying for an extension based upon retirement,

The visa is only valid for one entry on the date it issued.

You can apply for a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid if you want to leave the country.

Only your passport plus copies of your passport is needed if applying for the visa in Bangkok. If at another office you may need to provide proof of residence with its area of responsibility. You must have at least 15 days remaining on your 30 day extension of the 60 day entry from your tourist visa to apply.

The same documents required for the visa application will be needed for the extension application. If using the 800k baht in the bank option the money will need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply. You can apply during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

Same as the first extension but the money has to be in the bank for 3 months.

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Some immigration offices other than Bangkok can accept the application for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying for an extension based upon retirement,

The visa is only valid for one entry on the date it issued.

You can apply for a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid if you want to leave the country.

Only your passport plus copies of your passport is needed if applying for the visa in Bangkok. If at another office you may need to provide proof of residence with its area of responsibility. You must have at least 15 days remaining on your 30 day extension of the 60 day entry from your tourist visa to apply.

The same documents required for the visa application will be needed for the extension application. If using the 800k baht in the bank option the money will need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply. You can apply during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

Same as the first extension but the money has to be in the bank for 3 months.

Thank you Joe, ...say I have a multiple entry .....and I want to leave and return after the 90 days but I am on an extension is that when you need an re entry permit ?...

2 minutes ago, Putmak said:

Thank you Joe, ...say I have a multiple entry .....and I want to leave and return after the 90 days but I am on an extension is that when you need an re entry permit ?...

If you got a multiple re-entry permit for the 90 day entry from the visa it would end when that 90 days ends. You would a need a new re-entry permit after you got the extension.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you got a multiple re-entry permit for the 90 day entry from the visa it would end when that 90 days ends. You would a need a new re-entry permit after you got the extension.

Ok, got it.....many thanks.