Trying to recreate Karen (people) meatballs or something similar

rtsteven

The town I live in has had an influx of refugees from the Karen community in recent years. In our town, I know they are almost entirely from Burma, but some research has told me that there is also a sizeable community in Thailand.

A number of them live on this co-op farm just outside of town, and a few months they had a fundraiser for some sort of humanitarian trip a group of them were taking. You went to their farm, and got a plate of (Karen?) food for like $5. It was great.

For me, the highlight of the meal were these meatballs they served. They were richly seasoned with at least lemongrass it seemed, and slightly spicy. Not overwhelmingly spicy, however. Seemed like pork, but I am not 100% sure. But the greatest part of the crust or cast or whatever the meatball was cased in. It was just a great snap when you bit into it. Not mushy like say an Italian meatball. I am not actually sure if it had a layer of skin or some other casting around it, or it was just a product of frying it a certain way. But it was great.

Anyway, I have been unable to find any suitable recipes online or ones that seem like they'd give me a similar product. Nor have I been able to find a name for these. Do you think you can help me?

Italian meatballs are soggy because (1) they contain bread which soaks up the fat, and (2) they are simmered in sauce.

Thai meatballs don't have bread as a filler.

This recipe is probably pretty close to what you're looking for:  http://www.food.com/recipe/delicious-thai-style-meatballs-202089

Incidentally, rather than frying meatballs you can cook them in the oven.  20 minutes at 190° C for walnut-sized ones, a bit longer for larger ones.  Less likely to break up in cooking, and slightly healthier with less oil.