Magnitude 7.0 earthquake shakes Central America

webfact

Magnitude 7.0 earthquake shakes Central America

606x341_350601.jpg

EL SALVADOR: -- A strong, magnitude 7.0 earthquake has shaken the coast of Central America. The US Geological Survey initially rated the ‘quake at 7.2, then later downsized it.

It struck around 149 kilometres south-southwest of Puerto Triunfo in El Salvador, at a depth of 33 kilometres, according to the US Geological Survey. Several countries are thought to have felt the tremor.

The US Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre initially advised that ‘hazardous tsunami waves are possible within 300 kilometres of the epicentre. El Salvador urged residents living on its Pacific coastline to move away from ocean regions.

It has since announced the threat has passed.

Emergency services in El Salvador say there are no immediate reports of damage nationally.

The ‘quake came as category 2 Hurricane Otto tore across the Caribbean coasts of Nicaragua and Costa Rica. It hit land near the southeastern shores of Nicaragua after thousands had been evacuated from vulnerable areas.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-25

This graph gives a good understanding about the power of earthquakes in our globe during last 100 years. There has been 3 really major quakes.

Japan 2011 comes close to the 3 largest ones. It belongs to the group of Other Mw => 8

I'm actually quite surprised that the amount of energy released by these quakes is so concentrated. I thought it would have been much more spread to smaller quakes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_earthquakes

794px-Graph_of_largest_earthquakes_1906-

Let's hope one doesn't take place in Yellowstone. Earthquakes are bad enough but if one took place there it could trigger an eruption from the supervolcano which would cause massive devastation and loss of life: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

Discovery is doing a series about what could cause Armageddon, and a hyper eruption of Yellowstone is one. One estimate was 99% of humanity could be wiped out.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

All these ring of fire quakes should remind us that the Andaman quake only released around half of the pent up energy. That fault has an history of double quakes, up to 30 years apart.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

The USGS (Unites States Geological Survey) has an excellent Earthquake webpage that is one of many great unsung resources on the internet, link below:-

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/

Navigate to the 'Latest Earthquakes' page and you'll see the earthquake activity for a 24 hour period at  2.5 Richter Scale for the continental US land mass area. Click on the settings option to further fine tune your search for other parts of the world.

I should add this page is not just the for the US, it is a worldwide service, but you will have to click on the 'settings' page and make some changes to zoom to your area of interest.

Truly amazing eh?

Edited by NumbNut
further info