Western Digital opens experience shop at Pantip Plaza

snoop1130

Western Digital opens experience shop at Pantip Plaza

By The Nation

abef55e5cedddc4aba53ef68574957e5.jpeg

Western Digital Corporation has recently opened its first Experience Shop at Pantip Plaza to showcase full range of Western Digital products including WD Blue and Green SSDs as well as the latest My Passport and My Book series.

The formal opening ceremony of WD Experience Shop was held on November 16. 

Margaret Koh, director of sales, South Asia, Western Digital, said the shop would make it easy for customer to select the right drive that brings them the best experience possible, whether it’s for your PC, network, surveillance or scalability needs, every drive has a purpose. 

“The shop will showcase all of our products; consumers will be able to get to know more about the different product range that WD offers and enjoy hands-on experience with our latest product offerings. With the WD Experience shop, we want to drive more engagement with consumers, and continue to strengthen brand preference in the market,” Margaret said.

Besides featuring Western Digital’s latest SSD products and the popular My Cloud series; the WD Experience Shop also provides a sneak peak of the upcoming My Passport & My Book hard drives, she added.

“WD’s storage devices combine massive storage capacity, innovation, protection and outstanding design so customers will love their hard drive as much as they cherish the content stored on it. Consumers can now experience all desired models at one convenient location,” Margaret continued.

The WD Experience Shop is located at, Pantip Plaza, 1st/F., 604/3 Ratchathewi, Bangkok, Thailand, and opens daily from 10:30am to 8:00pm. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/Startup_and_IT/30300817

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-25

On 11/26/2016 at 1:05 PM, sniffdog said:

Out? You are not going to tell us cloud storage takes over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not cloud storage. Hard disks are more and more being replaced by SSD (solid state drives).

An SSD is a storage device that uses nonvolatile flash memory, used in place of a hard disk because of its much greater speed.

If you use a smartphone or a tablet you are using an SSD. My MacBook Pro laptop does not have a hard drive and only uses SSD which is way faster than a hard disk.

Edited by Rimmer

Actually your phone and tablet and your macbook uses flash memory not an ssd. Basically there is no difference between a hard disk and a ssd. One is mechanical, the other based on flash memory. Flash memory is NOT called an SSD. The latest hdds have a capacity of of 6 and 8 TB. Think they will be replaced by ssd? And with the new helium technology hdd capacities will only increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing about SSDs is, I believe, that they tend to have a shorter lifespan for frequent writes and re-writes than traditional hard disks, although they certainly are faster.

So in typical consumer use, they tend to be recommended as the storage media for installing your OS and things like that. But ideally for other things like your personal files, especially if doing a lot of writing and re-writing, SSDs in their current form aren't ideal.

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One thing about SSDs is, I believe, that they tend to have a shorter lifespan for frequent writes and re-writes than traditional hard disks, although they certainly are faster.

So in typical consumer use, they tend to be recommended as the storage media for installing your OS and things like that. But ideally for other things like your personal files, especially if doing a lot of writing and re-writing, SSDs in their current form aren't ideal.

No, that's not an issue. A couple of issues to be aware of, however: when they do fail they fail w/o much warning and they fail catastrophically--hence backup is more important than ever; and data retention when powered off may well not be as good as that of an HDD.

Making a comparison between SSDs and ordinary (spinning) HDDs is difficult. Traditional SSD benchmarks tend to focus on the performance characteristics that are poor with HDDs, such as rotational latency and seek time. As SSDs do not need to spin or seek to locate data, they may prove vastly superior to HDDs in such tests. However, SSDs have challenges with mixed reads and writes, and their performance may degrade over time. SSD testing must start from the (in use) full disk, as the new and empty (fresh, out-of-the-box) disk may have much better write performance than it would show after only weeks of use.[97]

Field failure rates indicate that SSDs are significantly more reliable than HDDs.[100][101][102] However, SSDs are uniquely sensitive to sudden power interruption, resulting in aborted writes or even cases of the complete loss of the drive.[103] The reliability of both HDDs and SSDs varies greatly among models.[104]

SSDs have no moving parts to fail mechanically. Each block of a flash-based SSD can only be erased (and therefore written) a limited number of times before it fails. The controllers manage this limitation so that drives can last for many years under normal use.[137][138][139][140][141] SSDs based on DRAM do not have a limited number of writes. However the failure of a controller can make a SSD unusable. Reliability varies significantly across different SSD manufacturers and models with return rates reaching 40% for specific drives.[102] As of 2011 leading SSDs have lower return rates than mechanical drives.[100]Many SSDs critically fail on power outages; a December 2013 survey of many SSDs found that only some of them are able to survive multiple power outages.[142][needs update?]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Hard_disk_drives

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Uh, yep, SSDs can fail (HDDs never do) and you've found Wikipedia. Excellent. :) However, you've missed the point, intentionally or unintentionally, that the particular warning they tend to have a shorter lifespan for frequent writes and re-writes than traditional hard disks . . . a lot of writing and re-writing is superfluous.

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Heaven forbid we bring any actual facts to the discussion, e.g. Wikipedia info, instead of people's personal ramblings...

Unless those "actual facts," such as in the above dump, are merely irrelevant to the specific point under discussion, of course--in which case they do a disservice to noobs who may be trying to arrive at their own optimal system config.

I been Goggling around for answers to above discussion and can't really find much.

I did however find this, quote:

Solid State Drives: Solid state drives, which have become extremely popular in laptops and desktops for their faster speeds, are different. You may hear people say that you have to be careful with SSDs because they have a limited number of reads and writes. In reality, consumer SSDs actually last a really, really long time under normal use. TechReport’s famous SSD endurance test showed us that a lot of those fears are over-blown, and even consumer SSDs managed to survive writing and reading well over 700TB of data. These drives usually come with a three to five year warranty, and manufacturers assume you’ll write 20GB-40GB per day in data. That means to get to that 700TB, you’d have to do 40GB every day for 17,500 days, or about 50 years. That doesn’t mean you should mistreat your drive, and it doesn’t mean SSDs won’t fail due to other issues, but if you’re worrying your SSD will die because you used it too much, don’t.

http://lifehacker.com/how-long-will-my-hard-drives-really-last-1700405627

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Edited by guzzi850m2
grammer

3 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I been Goggling around for answers to above discussion and can't really find much.

I did however find this, quote:

Solid State Drives: Solid state drives, which have become extremely popular in laptops and desktops for their faster speeds, are different. You may hear people say that you have to be careful with SSDs because they have a limited number of reads and writes. In reality, consumer SSDs actually last a really, really long time under normal use. TechReport’s famous SSD endurance test showed us that a lot of those fears are over-blown, and even consumer SSDs managed to survive writing and reading well over 700TB of data. These drives usually come with a three to five year warranty, and manufacturers assume you’ll write 20GB-40GB per day in data. That means to get to that 700TB, you’d have to do 40GB every day for 17,500 days, or about 50 years. That doesn’t mean you should mistreat your drive, and it doesn’t mean SSDs won’t fail due to other issues, but if you’re worrying your SSD will die because you used it too much, don’t.

http://lifehacker.com/how-long-will-my-hard-drives-really-last-1700405627

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

:( And  poor  me has  an  8 year old  WD  Passport  that  has  decided  to  defy  showing  the  files despite unlocking  sucessfully.

Ah well, it  contains  only  lost  memories !  lol