Visa which one ?

• Get a Single Entry Non Immigrant Visa 'O' based on being the spouse of a Thai, that will give you permission to stay for 90 days.
  • Towards the end of the 90 days you can apply for a 60 day extension of stay to visit your wife, which will cost 1,900 baht from your local immigration office.

Single entry tourist visa (60 days which you can extend by 30 days at an immigration office in Thailand) then a same day in/out border hop to get a 30-day visa exempt entry, which, in turn, is extendable for a further 30 days. This actually only gets you 148 days. If you want more than that, in place of the border hop for a visa exempt entry, visit a consulate in a nearly country to get a further single entry tourist visa instead. This will require 1-2 nights outside Thailand. If traveling with your wife, going somewhere like  Hong Kong might be a nice treat for her anyway.

8 minutes ago, elviajero said:
  • Get a Single Entry Non Immigrant Visa 'O' based on being the spouse of a Thai, that will give you permission to stay for 90 days.
  • Towards the end of the 90 days you can apply for a 60 day extension of stay to visit your wife, which will cost 1,900 baht from your local immigration office.

Thats exactly what i told my friend to do, but he told me because he don't have a fix address in Thailand the lady at the embassy in Ottawa told him he can have only a tourist visa???

11 minutes ago, Doiger said:

No such thing as a 6 month single entry tourist visa, a tourist visa is only valid for 60 days

• They are probably refering to the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa that is valid for 6 months.
  • A Single Entry Tourist Visa is valid for 3 months.
  • Either visa allows a maximum permit to stay of 60 days per entry.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bigstef said:

Thats exactly what i told my friend to do, but he told me because he don't have a fix address in Thailand the lady at the embassy in Ottawa told him he can have only a tourist visa???

I've no experience at that Embassy, but I have never heard of that being a requirement anywhere else. Usually you just need to provide a copy of your marriage certificate, and copies of your wife's ID card and Tabien Baan (house registration book).

23 minutes ago, elviajero said:
  • 2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I've no experience at that Embassy, but I have never heard of that being a requirement anywhere else. Usually you just need to provide a copy of your marriage certificate, and copies of your wife's ID card and Tabien Baan (house registration book).

The wife live in Canada she don't have any Tabien Baan (house registration book)

• As long as your wife is registered at any address in Thailand, and can supply a copy of the Tabien Baan then, you should have no problem getting the visa.
  • I can understand why they wouldn't give your friend a visa to visit/stay with his wife if she lives in Canada and isn't registered at an address in Thailand.

6 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • As long as your wife is registered at any address in Thailand, and can supply a copy of the Tabien Baan then, you should have no problem getting the visa.
  • I can understand why they wouldn't give your friend a visa to visit/stay with his wife if she lives in Canada and isn't registered at an address in Thailand.

Ok thanks

if problems with the Thai wife's id, then obtain a multi entry tourist visa  (METV), good for a 60 day stamp on each entry.

while in Thailand sort out a house book for the wife to be on, and id card if expired, thinking about it if she has lived in Thailand at any time, she will be on a house book somewhere.

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

Single entry tourist visa (60 days which you can extend by 30 days at an immigration office in Thailand) then a same day in/out border hop to get a 30-day visa exempt entry, which, in turn, is extendable for a further 30 days. This actually only gets you 148 days. If you want more than that, in place of the border hop for a visa exempt entry, visit a consulate in a nearly country to get a further single entry tourist visa instead. This will require 1-2 nights outside Thailand. If traveling with your wife, going somewhere like  Hong Kong might be a nice treat for her anyway.

after the single entry and the 30 day extension you can do the 60 day extension for Thai wife, don't need a border hop