Cuba announces nine days of mourning for Fidel Castro's death

rooster59

Cuba announces nine days of mourning for Fidel Castro's death

606x341_350745.jpg

One of the defining figures of the twentieth century, Fidel Castro has died at the age of 90.

The Cuban revolutionary and former leader of the island nation, stuck to his Communist principles long after the collapse of the Soviet Union, something for which he was both revered and reviled.

The government has declared nine days of mourning, ending on the fourth of December when his ashes will be interred.

His remains will make a cross-country tour from Havana to Santiago de Cuba, retracing the steps of the 1959 revolution in reverse.

State media reported that Cubans will be invited to sign an oath “complying with the concept of the revolution”.

A mixed legacy

President Obama said ‘history will record and judge’ the impact of Castro, but he added that they had worked hard to put the past behind them. The opening up of relations came a decade after Fidel stepped down.

While many on the left applaud Cuba’s health and education systems, rights groups deplore the situation of human right’s in the country.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-27

And in other parts of the world, not under his brother's control, they are celebrating his death:

https://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2016/nov/26/cuban-americans-celebrate-in-miami-following-death-of-fidel-castro-video

Hundreds of people gathered in Miami, Florida in the early hours of Saturday morning to celebrate the death of Cuban revolutionary and former leader, Fidel Castro, who passed away on Friday aged 90. Miami hosts a large population of Cuban Americans, many of whom fled their country to escape Castro’s communist rule

22 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

9 days is a bit more realistic. life has to go on for the living. have to wonder if cuba is still wort a trip.

I've been to Cuba 3 times. Always had a good time.

Things were changing under the rule of his brother; the past few years. ( for the better)

The cigar man hasn't had any policy input for two years.

Good beaches, great cigars( if you like a good cigar once in awhile ), great food, and girls.

1 minute ago, bark said:

I've been to Cuba 3 times. Always had a good time.

Things were changing under the rule of his brother; the past few years. ( for the better)

The cigar man hasn't had any policy input for two years.

Good beaches, great cigars( if you like a good cigar once in awhile ), great food, and girls.

I absolutely love the music.  Nothing like sitting in a bar in Old Havana, watching the old cars drive by, sipping an ice cold Cristal, and listening to Son.  I've not been for years, but the food was pretty bad back then! LOL

10 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I absolutely love the music.  Nothing like sitting in a bar in Old Havana, watching the old cars drive by, sipping an ice cold Cristal, and listening to Son.  I've not been for years, but the food was pretty bad back then! LOL

Same old cars :)   It is like going back in time.